Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
'18 2.5 Outback LTD, Magnetite Grey; '11 Outback 2.5i LTD; '06 Outback LTD, MT; '02 Legacy GT wagon, MT
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lease on my Outback just ended and I'm in the process of purchasing it, as it's been a great car for me, has only 37K on it, and though I hear the new Outbacks handle better, personally, I really don't like the design changes they made to the body. That said, I have always liked the Crosstrek's looks, but before purchasing my '18 Outback I test drove 4 Crosstrek's to try and convince myself to like how it drove! I just couldn't. At the time, I was driving an '11 Outback Ltd, and each time I got back into that car after testing the Crosstrek, I much preferred it's solid feel.

I just want to make sure I'm making the best choice next week when I sign the papers to purchase my car - Has anyone driven a 2021 Crosstrek? (Jeeez, are they even out yet? I don't know!) Honestly, my favorite Outbacks to drive were my '07 and '08's... I feel like the Crosstrek has the "potential" to be like them, but the ones I drove back in 2017 were too light on the road for me - I felt like I was driving a rental car, not "my" car, if that makes any sense?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks so much :)
IMG_7854.jpg

·
Registered
'18 2.5 Outback LTD, Magnetite Grey; '11 Outback 2.5i LTD; '06 Outback LTD, MT; '02 Legacy GT wagon, MT
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right?! Thanks - I'm just panicking before committing, but I had a GT I drove for 350K, I love my '18, honestly, I've treated it so well for the last 3 years, why even second guess myself?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT Limited
65 Posts
I had a 2015 Limited. Got totaled by a Ford F250. I wanted the turbo ever since I heard the rumor in 2018. Overall, the 2015-2019 are very similar to the 2020. The 2021 Crosstrek needs to be driven. Drive the 2.0 and the 2.5. Is it noticeable? Yes. Is it the same as the 2.5 vs 2.4T? NO! Its 30hp difference. My wife drives a 2018 Impreza 50th Anniversary. She likes her car but wishes it had more power. She loves my 2.4T Outback. I drove the 2.5 Crosstek to see if it would make a good car for her. It's ok. Its better than the 2.0 but still needs another 30hp to make it really worth it.
Go to the dealership and test drive it. Drive both the 2.0 and the 2.5.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 2015 Limited. Got totaled by a Ford F250. I wanted the turbo ever since I heard the rumor in 2018. Overall, the 2015-2019 are very similar to the 2020. The 2021 Crosstrek needs to be driven. Drive the 2.0 and the 2.5. Is it noticeable? Yes. Is it the same as the 2.5 vs 2.4T? NO! Its 30hp difference. My wife drives a 2018 Impreza 50th Anniversary. She likes her car but wishes it had more power. She loves my 2.4T Outback. I drove the 2.5 Crosstek to see if it would make a good car for her. It's ok. Its better than the 2.0 but still needs another 30hp to make it really worth it.
Go to the dealership and test drive it. Drive both the 2.0 and the 2.5.
Thanks! More than the power issue, my concern is how it feels on the road. The Outback's feel solid - I like the way the sit on the road. I loved, how the '07 and '08's did, because they were a little lower I think... never felt like they would hydroplane - but the Crosstrek's I drove in 2017/18 did... they just didn't feel solid on the road - I guess I was wondering if they made any changes to make them feel more like the older outbacks. Honestly though, I love my '18 Outback, I should just shut up already. :)

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,451 Posts
Outback is a lot more car, a lot more space. Since you know how well you've taken care of yours, seems like an easy decision to keep it. Next big change will in a year or two with the outdoors version, whatever that is, along with 360 Eyesight.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,596 Posts
My lease on my Outback just ended and I'm in the process of purchasing it, as it's been a great car for me, has only 37K on it ... I just want to make sure I'm making the best choice ...
If your Outback is mechanically sound and you like it as much as you say, just buy it and don't look back.

... never felt like they would hydroplane ...
Hydroplaning is primarily a function of water depth vs. remaining tire tread depth, road speed, and inflation pressure. (Source: U.S. Federal Aviation Administration) Other vehicle design factors aren't significant.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT Limited
65 Posts
Thanks! More than the power issue, my concern is how it feels on the road. The Outback's feel solid - I like the way the sit on the road. I loved, how the '07 and '08's did, because they were a little lower I think... never felt like they would hydroplane - but the Crosstrek's I drove in 2017/18 did... they just didn't feel solid on the road - I guess I was wondering if they made any changes to make them feel more like the older outbacks. Honestly though, I love my '18 Outback, I should just shut up already. :)
I do not know of a single modern Subaru that doesn't feel solid. Even the BRZ feels solid. Is the Crosstrek an Outback? No. Is it a solid every day car that is more than adequate for a little adventure now and then? Yes. The Crosstrek is a lifted Impreza the same way the Outback is a lifted Legacy. Do you need a grocery getter or a road trip machine? Figure out what you need over what you want. Then, go the the dealership and drive one. Opinions are like buttholes...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not know of a single modern Subaru that doesn't feel solid. Even the BRZ feels solid. Is the Crosstrek an Outback? No. Is it a solid every day car that is more than adequate for a little adventure now and then? Yes. The Crosstrek is a lifted Impreza the same way the Outback is a lifted Legacy. Do you need a grocery getter or a road trip machine? Figure out what you need over what you want. Then, go the the dealership and drive one. Opinions are like buttholes...
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I actually do understand the many different styles of these vehicles and consequent diff in handling, as I've driven all wheel drive vehicles for most of my life. I was just asking if the '21 Crosstreks might feel a little more solid on the road -- but maybe I should re-word that -- wondering if they did something like lengthen the wheelbase some so it feels more the way I like. "Grocery getter?" No, I'd say I'm more of a spirited driver that opts for windy back roads over main, and also enjoys road trips in all 4 seasons.

Yea, sure, I could go to a dealership and drive one, but since I've respected the opinions of people here (most) over they years, I just thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your Outback is mechanically sound and you like it as much as you say, just buy it and don't look back.

That's what I am thinking, thanks!

Hydroplaning is primarily a function of water depth vs. remaining tire tread depth, road speed, and inflation pressure. (Source: U.S. Federal Aviation Administration) Other vehicle design factors aren't significant.
Yea, bad word choice on my part - just trying to describe how the Crosstrek's I test drove felt - they didn't do that, but felt like they would, or, didn't have that feeling of being on rails that others have. If that makes any sense?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I had a recent model (19?) Crosstrek loaner when my 11 Outback needed some work done. It was peppy and good but felt it a little small. Good for some cargo or people but not both at the same time. It had that “hot hatch” handling feel to it.

The Outback was definitely smoother driving and has a longer wheel base. The Crosstrek power was fine around town in the 2.0 but I did find myself pushing it when I had to pass at highway speeds for the day or two I had it.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,384 Posts
I owned an XV and it was dependable. I liked the color. I liked parking it.

It got about the same MPG as my 2.5 Outback.

Was much louder on the highway. Cramped inside. Definitely not an ideal road trip car.

I traded for a 2.5 OB and later for a 3.6 OB and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,205 Posts
Great review.
Just wish they'd... Ever?... Done one of an outback.
The same Redline guy did review the 2020 Outback and he purchased one for himself. This was before the 2021 Crosstrek was released, but the Redline guy really likes his cars fast so he got the XT Outback with a 6.x 0-60 and the new 2.5 Crosstrek is only 8.x

I have a Honda Fit that also has an 8.x 0-60 and that's definitely adequate. It's not "fast" but it's not "slow".

The XT Outback has more power than I need, but I feel like an Outback with the 2.5 is barely adequate for my taste, though it has no trouble taking you anywhere the Turbo could. In the Crosstrek the same 2.5 is pulling about 700 less pounds.

Reactions: Kiffall En

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a recent model (19?) Crosstrek loaner when my 11 Outback needed some work done. It was peppy and good but felt it a little small. Good for some cargo or people but not both at the same time. It had that “hot hatch” handling feel to it.

The Outback was definitely smoother driving and has a longer wheel base. The Crosstrek power was fine around town in the 2.0 but I did find myself pushing it when I had to pass at highway speeds for the day or two I had it.
Yea, thanks, I think my urge to try a Crosstrek has passed! I actually really love my car, just last minute jitters! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I owned an XV and it was dependable. I liked the color. I liked parking it.

It got about the same MPG as my 2.5 Outback.

Was much louder on the highway. Cramped inside. Definitely not an ideal road trip car.

I traded for a 2.5 OB and later for a 3.6 OB and never looked back.
Oh you had to say 3.6.... definitely something I'd like too... Thanks!!

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
If we are comparing 2020/21 Outback versus a 2021 Crosstrek with 2.5L engine, I would go with the Outback.

Having leased two 2018 Outbacks myself, I would go with a 2021 Crosstrek Limited over either.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,205 Posts
I love my 2020 Outback but I don't need the extra space it offers most of the time. Since I already have the Outback, I'm wanting the 2021 Crosstrek 2.5 to replace my Honda Fit.

If I had to just have one Subie though, and I just bought a large screen TV that fit easily in the Outback but would have been questionable in the Crosstrek, I would keep the Outback.

For daily driving though, I think the 2021 Crosstrek 2.5 would be my go-to if I had both.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts