Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 2018 Outback premium recently, after driving for few day my back started aching. I constantly tried to reduce the lumbar to the minimum, but even at the least possible setting lumbar support seems to be too much. There is no support near tail bone which cause lower back pain.

I have an other car when i drive that there is no problem with my back, never had this issue in the pas either. Am I one off? Does anyone had this issue with Lumbar and if you how do you guys fix it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
That’s odd to me... I had a 2011 and my impression is the 18 has less lumbar support range.... and not enough for me!

Oh well - we’re all different!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and i recently rented a 2018 Subaru OB with cloth seats and found it very comfortable but yesterday test drove a new OB with leather seats - I loved the seat but she immediately complained of too much lumbar. I was disappointed because otherwise we like the vehicle. We didn’t have time to drive in the cloth but sat in it for a minute - didn’t seem as bad for her but still not great. I wonder if these seats soften a little with use?? We are still searching.

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Premium - No Eyesight (and proud of it)
144 Posts
Here's my fix:

If you have cloth seats:

Unzip the two zippers behind the seat to gain access to the plastic lumbar brace. This plastic piece is what actually presses against the back seat cushion to provide added lumbar support.

This plastic brace is held in by a piece of spring wire. You can easily unclip it from the wire and remove it.

I completely removed it from the passenger seat and wow what a difference.

I took the one from the drivers seat and used a heat gun to heat up the plastic so I could flatten it a little thereby reducing the amount of pressure being put on the cushion. Be careful not to burn the plastic. Take it very slow and easy. Once done, you can reinstall and still get the lumbar adjustment on your power seat.

Much more comfortable now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For me, it's the seat BOTTOM that bothers me and feels rather hard, in comparison to my previous car, a Toyota Sienna, which was very cushy. I just got my 2018 3.6 Limited OB today. It has leather seats. I didn't notice the problem when I was test driving the car. But in the 45 minutes it took to drive it home, I noticed it much to my total dismay. I really love the car but I can't have it causing me sciatic/piraformis pain.

It seems to be pressing on the sciatic nerve at the top back of my left leg. I'm thinking of buying a memory foam cushion for it, the McCarty's Sacro-Ease cushion (Ergo Comfort Rider). It's a bit expensive but if it relieves the pressure it will be worth it. The only downside might be the inability to use the heated seat with the cushion in place. :-(

If anyone else has experienced a problem like this and has solved it with a special cushion, I would appreciate knowing what you used.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
My recommendation would be to talk to an upholstery shop that is experienced with working on seats equipped with air bags.

Have them rebuild the seat cushion to meet your specific needs. Pricey but most likely worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seat modification prohibition

I have owned several cars with seats that were uncomfortable. I had a local trim shop modify the shape of the seat back and lumbar support. However, recent laws have been passed that make it unlawful to modify car seats. Trim shops can no longer do this, and it may be unlawful as a DIY project also. Altering seats is risky and could invite legal problems with insurance claims and liability law suits. It may even be illegal to sell a car with altered seats. I am not sure if this is just a Michigan law or if it is a nation wide federal law.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
For me, it's the seat BOTTOM that bothers me and feels rather hard, in comparison to my previous car, a Toyota Sienna, which was very cushy. I just got my 2018 3.6 Limited OB today. It has leather seats. I didn't notice the problem when I was test driving the car. But in the 45 minutes it took to drive it home, I noticed it much to my total dismay. I really love the car but I can't have it causing me sciatic/piraformis pain.

It seems to be pressing on the sciatic nerve at the top back of my left leg. I'm thinking of buying a memory foam cushion for it, the McCarty's Sacro-Ease cushion (Ergo Comfort Rider). It's a bit expensive but if it relieves the pressure it will be worth it. The only downside might be the inability to use the heated seat with the cushion in place. :-(

If anyone else has experienced a problem like this and has solved it with a special cushion, I would appreciate knowing what you used.
To me the seats are a bit hard, but leg pressure is also a function of seat adjustment. Try varying the seat angle, if it's tilted up more weight will be on your butt/upper leg. My seat is usually angled close to as flat as it gets. Also moving the seat back or up can change where the pressure spots are.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R 2" ADF lift kit 17X8 (45mm off-set) Advanti DST Storm wheels 245/65R17 BFG KO2 AT tires 20mm RSB Strut Tower Brace steering Dampener Lockdown
246 Posts
Not to be critical of the OP, it is a genuine concern- but this the kind of stuff I just don't get. A good buddy of mine would not buy a new Mustang, that he really thought he would want because the seats were just not comfortable for him. How can you buy a car and test drive it without making sure that the seats are comfortable? I drove my neighbors and a family friends OBs (a 2015 and 2016) and then my 2018 and had no problems with the seats - they are fine - I drove from NC to Ohio with no complaints. But I get it we all have different bodies and backs, some with back issues so what works for one does not work for someone else. But like I stated before - you invest thousands of $$$ for a vehicle. . . . . . and then you discover the seats are uncomfortable or ___________ (fill in the blank). I just don't get it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Well, I am in the camp of discovering the uncomfortable lumbar support after a purchase.
For me it took about 2 hours in the car to realize it. It's an easy fix and now I'm happy with the seat support.
Perhaps it was a case of being focused on other things during the test drive. Perhaps it just took time for the issue to manifest
to my body.
I will say this though- the next car I buy- I will focus first on seat comfort, then on to the other attributes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
unzip the back of the seat cover. remove the lumbar "brace" that unsnaps from the 2 vertical rods. The sipper end is tucked behind the cover at the bottom. you will have to fish your finger to find it and pull it out. then grip the zipper and unzip it. you will see the brace. it's about 8"long by 4" wide.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suspect there are irregularities from seat to seat. but the lumbar setup is poorly designed. the "brace" has a very sharp protrusion that serves as the "support". all it did for me was cause extreme pain in the lowest setting. thankful I was able to remove it and that solved the problem. the dealers are well aware of the fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts