Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of a 2018 Outback 3.6R Touring. I'm here in Minneapolis. Wife & I were going to a restaurant in a nearby suburb. Just for the heck of it, I decided to see how the Navigation system worked. Well, it couldn't find the address. There is a hospital nearby, it couldn't find that either - and there is a mall with a major supermarket - nada. These buildings are at least 5 years old.

This car was built in mid February. The dealer told me it had the latest map. All these address can be found using Google Maps. It appears the TomTom map / database is 5 years out of date?

As a software developer I have some questions / assumptions:

The 'map' is stored in the vehicles RAM ?

What about the addresses? Are they also stored in the RAM, or are they acquired via an online database through the GPS?

I noticed a road that was closed - and it was marked with red, so there is some information coming real time. Is that through Sirius or the GPS or Starlink?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
I've had a 2018 3.6 Touring since August. I'm not an authority on exactly how the Nav system does its job. But, I thought I would try to shed a little optimism your way. My Nav system has been quite reliable, and always seems to find my desired destinations here in Virginia. I do understand that I haven't tried the places you did.

I enjoyed living in Minneapolis from 2008-2015. While I lived there I had BMW's (Motorwerks supplied), and spent quite some time on the "Bimmerfest" web site participating in threads like these. Interestingly, BMW owners have a love/hate relationship with their Nav systems, too, and time after time said they wished BMW's had TomTom instead of the BMW system.

Hope this optimistic view helps, and that some one else can answer your technical questions better.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Just took delivery of a 2018 Outback 3.6R Touring. I'm here in Minneapolis. Wife & I were going to a restaurant in a nearby suburb. Just for the heck of it, I decided to see how the Navigation system worked. Well, it couldn't find the address. There is a hospital nearby, it couldn't find that either - and there is a mall with a major supermarket - nada. These buildings are at least 5 years old.

This car was built in mid February. The dealer told me it had the latest map. All these address can be found using Google Maps. It appears the TomTom map / database is 5 years out of date?

As a software developer I have some questions / assumptions:

The 'map' is stored in the vehicles RAM ?

What about the addresses? Are they also stored in the RAM, or are they acquired via an online database through the GPS?

I noticed a road that was closed - and it was marked with red, so there is some information coming real time. Is that through Sirius or the GPS or Starlink?

Thanks.
Typically the map that is stored in the device has all of the physical data. The map, addresses, places such as stores, gas stations, speed limits. All of that is in the device and needs to be updated from time to time as roads change and stores come and go.

There are two things that the nav unit would receive over the air live.

1: the GPS satellites are transmitting essentially the time and the unit triangulates on that to calculate your location based on time delays between the several satellites that is has a lock on.

2: Traffic issues. This would typically be a radio receiver that gets traffic information that is broadcast in the local area by radio.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,152 Posts
Are [addresses] acquired via an online database through the GPS?
No. GPS doesn't work that way. GPS is intended to provide precise time and position information only. The only other "data" that GPS routinely downloads are the comprehensive orbital almanac, the per-satellite ephemeris, and propagation anomaly information, all of which fall into the realm of metadata.

Reactions: Ronter

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
The first weekend we bought this, I poked in an address in Pittsburgh PA for a museum that was built in the late 1800's. According to the NAV, it did not exist. Did not come up by name or in the list of attractions either. All I really wanted was traffic info so I pulled it up on google maps and used that. So let's just say the address data is glitchy at best. I will add...compared to many other factory navs I've owned/used, it's actually pretty good. Much better at finding things by name...museum glitch notwithstanding.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was told by the dealer that for the 2018 the map is updated through your phone, if you have it set up, or through your home WiFi if you have it set up. Every day when I start my car it checks to see if there are any updates and if so you have the choice to update them. As for the navigation I have had my 2018 3.6R touring for a week and a half and I think it is better than my 2015. The only thing I miss is the 2015 has more minor road speed limits posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
Map data is stored in the map software in the vehicle. Your 2018 with nave likely came with Sirius Traffic and Weather trial so things like road closures and accidents are updated - IF they are available in your area.

Its possible that the map data from Tom Tom was not current at the time your maps were released for the 2018 OB. (I have a 2018 with nav too) Most of the stuff around me is fairly current - even some things from the last 5 or so years. I'm hoping tom tom pushes out some regular updates to keep it current.

David

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
169 Posts
Post Name and adress

Post the name and/or address of restaurant and see if anyone here can dredge it up on the Navi.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
Go to www.subaru-maps.com, create a sign-up account, and register your vehicle using its VIN number. There's probably not an update for the '18 OB maps yet, but keep checking that site until there is one. It may not fix any address look-ups, but hopefully will have the newer roads.

Funny, I bet if I went out and bought a hand-held Tom-Tom GPS device, I would be able to load the latest maps as soon as I got it home. I understand there would be some time for Subaru to propagate the map data updates, but that map on my 2018 car looks like it was from before 2016.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Funny, I bet if I went out and bought a hand-held Tom-Tom GPS device, I would be able to load the latest maps as soon as I got it home. I understand there would be some time for Subaru to propagate the map data updates, but that map on my 2018 car looks like it was from before 2016.
Is one of many reasons why I didn't want a nav built into the car.

My Garmin and I are doing fine. 4 map updates a year for life of the device. It can take a year for major road changes to show up but that's pretty normal.

Navteq supplies the Garmin maps. Don't know who supplies the Subaru maps. Are they the same as Tom Tom?

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
213 Posts
I was told by the dealer that for the 2018 the map is updated through your phone, if you have it set up, or through your home WiFi if you have it set up. Every day when I start my car it checks to see if there are any updates and if so you have the choice to update them. As for the navigation I have had my 2018 3.6R touring for a week and a half and I think it is better than my 2015. The only thing I miss is the 2015 has more minor road speed limits posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like the dealer is conflating the nav with CarPlay/Android Auto.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ten Sushi. 16362 County RD 30, Maple Grove, MN, 55311

Also tried the address of the bank, right in front, and the MnDot service center - all nada.

My wife and I are going to take a trip to Canada - makes me wonder how reliable the map info.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Go to www.subaru-maps.com, create a sign-up account, and register your vehicle using its VIN number. There's probably not an update for the '18 OB maps yet, but keep checking that site until there is one. It may not fix any address look-ups, but hopefully will have the newer roads.

Yep, no updates for the 2018 yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Subaru gave me a URL to report map errors it is mapsharetool.com This site won't let me post a URL.

You can report map errors - interestingly I can find the address with the on-line TomTom map. TomTom claims we have the latest map. Obviously something was left out.

Also you can go to us.support.tomtom.com

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
92 Posts
Ten Sushi. 16362 County RD 30, Maple Grove, MN, 55311

Also tried the address of the bank, right in front, and the MnDot service center - all nada.

My wife and I are going to take a trip to Canada - makes me wonder how reliable the map info.
Got the first one to work. Typical of GPS units and data entry for numeric roads. I had to just put in the number address and County 30, Maple Grove, MN 55311 and it found it. What the GPS found was 16362 Co Hwy 30, Maple Grove, MN 55311. So the RD was messing up the search. I've found that putting in as little as possible really helps. Garmin units have some similar quirks, but I'm so used to them I just automatically work around them. Tom Tom is new to me.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
With so fewer roads, you'd think they would have timely updates, but as discussed here... http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/28-canada/463201-2018-nav-system-map-update.html even a major toll highway around Toronto is shown to end far from where it actually does end (Hwy 407), and a whole new highway is completely missing (Hwy 412).

In any case, until I have complete confidence in the on-board Nav, I would always plan my trips ahead of time using Google maps - even using street view for the area close to my destinations. I'd just use the on-board to get a rough idea of inter-city ETA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts