Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A new member here sadly replaced Prius v with the Outback recently. Does the navigation suck or am I missing something because it cannot find ANYTHING! I put several addresses and none could be located. I cannot go anywhere without ApplePlay.

Read the manual, trying to find instructional videos. "Menu" on the map, and search by words. Put addresses, and it could not find them. Am I doing something wrong? I do not know why I have this when I have to use my iPhone to navigate.:surprise:

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Hi,

A new member here sadly replaced Prius v with the Outback recently. Does the navigation suck or am I missing something because it cannot find ANYTHING! I put several addresses and none could be located. I cannot go anywhere without ApplePlay.

Read the manual, trying to find instructional videos. "Menu" on the map, and search by words. Put addresses, and it could not find them. Am I doing something wrong? I do not know why I have this when I have to use my iPhone to navigate.:surprise:

Thank you for your help!
Suggest you read the manual more carefully. I find the Nav system in my 2018 Outback to be the most intuitive and easy to use of any car I’ve had. Has never failed to find a destination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
565 Posts
Sounds like there is something a bit different about Outback's nav system compared to what you've used in the past and that you've not spotted the difference. I've got nav on a 2015 Outback and it has been very good in getting me where I need to go. (That said, voice input for a destination is hit & miss so I usually enter via the touch screen.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Step to search

Give us a stepwise example of how your'e entering addresses. I think I have it figured out but it took a few tries.
I just came home after the navigation system had sent us to a completely wrong place - I put a name of Japanese restaurant and it had the restaurant on their database. However, everytime I made the CORRECT turn, it recalculated and was very difficult to follow. And as it turned out it sent us to the restaurant address back in 2016. So I had to rely on my iPhone again.

Anyhow... I am seriously hoping that I am missing something or doing something completely wrong as this has been completely useless.

So this is the step I take:

1. "Menu" on the map screen
2. Search for destination
3. type address

Your help is appreciated!!

Cattledogs
Outback 2018 Limited

·
Registered
'18 Outback 3.6R Limited. '11 Forester 2.5X Prem.
45 Posts
I have good luck entering in the address explicitly. I've had less success when entering the destination by business name or using voice recognition.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
335 Posts
as it turned out it sent us to the restaurant address back in 2016
This part isn't too surprising, maps trail model year by a couple years (with model years starting in the preceding summer, and parts probably being assembled before that, you're probably getting a 2015/2016 map in a 2018 car). I haven't had much luck with searching by destination name, in the OB or the Prius.

However, everytime I made the CORRECT turn, it recalculated and was very difficult to follow.
This doesn't happen to me - if I'm following the Nav guidance it doesn't recalculate. When I'm off guidance (e.g., new highway on-ramp), it panics & recalculates (turn right! turn left! make a u-turn!) until I'm back on track and then it's happy again.

1. does it know where you are? (there have been reports here of the gps just being flat out wrong)
2. is it better if you type in a street address?
3. does the route look like it's sending you to the right place and change, or is it wrong from the beginning? I don't think there's a way to totally avoid looking up current addresses on a phone given databases aren't going to be up to date.

We recently had some local street closures. The nav unit pulled them from XM traffic (I presume) but put them in the wrong place, so any route guidance would have been wrong. Same with google maps, which took 6 months to update a new traffic pattern that severely impacted best calculated routes.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
Maybe the maps on the micro usb card need to be updated?
The 2018 Outback Nav system uses GPS powered by Tom-Tom, so there is no Micro SD card anymore. So no more nav card updates.

The biggest difference in the head units I've noted is the change to voice commands. It's not quite an intuitive as it used to be, IMHO.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Eyesight, 2018 Legacy 3.6R Eyesight
273 Posts
My wife drives a 2018 Legacy 3.6R with the new system. Since it's her commuter car, I haven't had much of a chance to play with the system. One thing I like in the old system is the ability to identify your elevation via the built in altimeter. Has this ability been eliminated in the new system? I believe it gives you longitude/latitude when you press the street display at the bottom but nothing else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts