Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just took delivery on our 2018 2.5 Limited w/ Option 24 last night. This car replaces our 2016 2.5 Limited w/ Eyesight, which was totaled in a head-on crash earlier this year. The insurance company of the guy at fault gave us more than we paid for the 2016 new, so getting a new 2018 was a no-brainer.

Here are some of my initial thoughts and ideas:

1) The new infotainment system is incredible and well worth the wait.
-It has wi-fi and bluetooth: my thought is that a firmware/software update in a year or so will provide wireless Carplay (already available on one Alpine HU). For now, wired Carplay is outstanding, wonderfully intuitive, and a joy to use.
-Everything is much snappier; moving between screens is noticeably faster
-One thing Subaru did away with is the feature where the speed limit sign turns red when you're speeding. That's gone and I sort of miss it

2) Small new features (auto-lock with speed or shift in/out of park; retain accessory power after engine off; etc.) are wonderful
-Interestingly, power to the USB ports is not maintained, so Carplay/Android Auto turn off when you shut off the engine. No big deal; it reverts to the radio

3) Steering Responsive Headlights and Auto-Brights are fascinating and useful
-The auto-brights are interesting because they don't always turn back on when there is no longer a car's head-/taillights present. I wonder if it judges whether you really need the extra light? Or just overly sensitive sensors...
-On the topic of the headlights, I was disappointed to see that the fog lights are not LED (the only lights on the car that aren't). Oh well.

4) I didn't realize in time that I could get the LED map light accessory. I suppose this can be done after the fact, too. Anyone try this yet?

5) The Magnetite Grey Metallic color is beautiful. We ordered it sight-unseen and are so glad we did.

6) The steering wheel is much beefier than in our 2016. It feels very nice, indeed.

Eager to hear what everyone else loves on the new 2018!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring Wilderness Green
31 Posts
Wow very nice write up. Thank you for your insights. Hope everyone was ok in the accident totaling the 2016!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eesh! What unfortunate circumstances in which you had to get a new car, but it's nice you now get to the enjoy the perks of the 2018.

I wanted to the 2018, but needed a vehicle (like a few months ago) and JUST purchased the 2017. . .plus the buyer of my old car was getting impatient with me to give up the car. I'm so sad I didn't wait. Tell me, is it quieter than the 2016?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eesh! What unfortunate circumstances in which you had to get a new car, but it's nice you now get to the enjoy the perks of the 2018.

I wanted to the 2018, but needed a vehicle (like a few months ago) and JUST purchased the 2017. . .plus the buyer of my old car was getting impatient with me to give up the car. I'm so sad I didn't wait. Tell me, is it quieter than the 2016?
Everyone ok in the wreck--(yet another) credit to the safety of Subarus!

As to whether it's quieter: I know it's supposed to be quieter, so I suppose it seems quieter to me. I never thought the 2016 was loud, though, so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask. It does seem very quiet, though.

·
Registered
2020 OB 2.5 Limited
207 Posts
As for the speed limit sign...I notice it on the driver information screen with the big digital speed readout......its a white sign off to the right....I did not check in on the test drive to see if it turned red....may want to toggle to that screen and give it a try. On the LED headlights.......how are they as far as brightness and distance down the road? I have the HID on my 17 and really wanted to compare the two but have not had any opportunity to do a test drive at night. Do the LEDs light up the down the road or do they cut off and just illuminate short distance....I would think they should be good considering its the same glove lens.

The other two big questions are wind and road noise at highway speeds and the cvt hesitation/shuddering as you are are at low speeds do you still see that? Subaru said they had made some CVT changes to smooth things out...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. The improved quietness is what makes me regret not waiting the most and reading your response helped me feel a tiny bit better lol.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,037 Posts
We just took delivery on our 2018 2.5 Limited w/ Option 24 last night. This car replaces our 2016 2.5 Limited w/ Eyesight, which was totaled in a head-on crash earlier this year. The insurance company of the guy at fault gave us more than we paid for the 2016 new, so getting a new 2018 was a no-brainer.

-It has wi-fi and bluetooth: my thought is that a firmware/software update in a year or so will provide wireless Carplay (already available on one Alpine HU). For now, wired Carplay is outstanding, wonderfully intuitive, and a joy to use.
-One thing Subaru did away with is the feature where the speed limit sign turns red when you're speeding. That's gone and I sort of miss it

2) Small new features (auto-lock with speed or shift in/out of park; retain accessory power after engine off; etc.) are wonderful
-Interestingly, power to the USB ports is not maintained, so Carplay/Android Auto turn off when you shut off the engine. No big deal; it reverts to the radio

-The auto-brights are interesting because they don't always turn back on when there is no longer a car's head-/taillights present. I wonder if it judges whether you really need the extra light? Or just overly sensitive sensors...
-On the topic of the headlights, I was disappointed to see that the fog lights are not LED (the only lights on the car that aren't). Oh well.

4) I didn't realize in time that I could get the LED map light accessory. I suppose this can be done after the fact, too. Anyone try this yet?

5) The Magnetite Grey Metallic color is beautiful. We ordered it sight-unseen and are so glad we did.

6) The steering wheel is much beefier than in our 2016. It feels very nice, indeed.

I have to ask yo if the infotainment is not a priority would a heavily discounted 17 be a smarter buy?

·
Registered
52 Posts

Can you comment on the NVH of the 2018 vs THE 2017 after a highway drive??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can someone comment on the NVH of the 2018 Touring vs the 2017/2016 after a highway drive?? I say Touring as it has the lower profile rails...

·
Registered
57 Posts
By the way, Waze is going to support Google Auto officially soon. I think it will support CarPlay in future. Alternate choice from factory Nav.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,631 Posts
Can someone comment on the NVH of the 2018 Touring vs the 2017/2016 after a highway drive?? I say Touring as it has the lower profile rails...
People keep asking this and I know I have commented on it multiple times on the site, it's really splitting hairs but the 2018 is slightly quieter.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got my 2018 Outback Touring, yesterday.

Well, I finally picked up my very first Outback which is an OUtback Touring in white. So far I've only driven it about 45 miles but my first impressions were very favorable and the thing that jumped out at me most (and I just love) are the Blind Spot Detectors on the sides of the outside mirrors. They are much more eye catching than the ones I had experienced last year on a new Mercedes. I was quite pleasantly surprised at how often they would catch a vehicle in my blind spot that I had no clue had sneaked into that spot. Nice!

I'm sure I'll be discovering a lot more things as I continue to get acquainted with Subaru and their way of doing things.

So far, I am quite pleased.

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnetite Grey Metallic
324 Posts
People keep asking this and I know I have commented on it multiple times on the site, it's really splitting hairs but the 2018 is slightly quieter.
Thank you, for your information Kevin.

I will have to test drive one for myself, I just do not want one that sounds like I have the window slightly cracked open. I think this is what Outback owners are interested in the 2018 with the new mirrors and other improvements in reducing wind-noise, and outside noise.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Congrats. Great taste in color. I was at my dealer yesterday and they still don't have an '18 on the lot let alone a Touring. Have seen several plus comments on the new BSD mirror location.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,151 Posts
Oh boy, perhaps we can keep these posts in a single thread? Someone just started one this morning.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts