Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

We are in the market for a 2018 3.6R Touring and would like to know the buying experiences from new/early adopters on their Outbacks. Local dealers are ridiculous as they are quoting anywhere from MSRP to invoice (factory orders). Now it would be convenient for others like me who just want 2018 (and beyond) prices to not have to parse through the main MSRP buying sub-thread for 2018 prices. Most of the prices there are 2017 and before anyway. Since 2018 is a significant change (both in options and pricing), please post your 2018 prices here.

On this note, I was given a coupon (for visiting the Subaru booth) with a 90-day validity at the 2017 Houston Auto Show for a new 2017 Outback purchase. Glad I held out for a 2018.

Would like to know from Dealers here if that can be combined with the Subaru Loyalty coupon. I know it cant be combined with an Ambassador coupon but the Loyalty one specifically says it can be combined with other promo offers.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
Ive found Subaru dealers in my area to be absolutely horrible so far. So much so that we haven't even driven an outback yet.

Dealership 1 in newport news, the salesman literally slither out the door. I despise casey - should have expected as much there, however.

Dealership we went to on braod st in richmond, never even came out to greet us, and didnt have any 18's on the lot last week.

If it's anything like these places, you can't even get honest help, let alone a 'deal'.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited CVT
26 Posts
This kind of information is being shared in this thread: MSRP/INVOICE/PURCHASE PRICE thread which you should see looking down the thread list a bit.
While you are half correct, if you read the post, it acknowledges the thread you mention and states the individual believes there is justification for a 2018 specific thread. I do not entirely disagree given the 2018 refresh and that both 2017s and 2018s are are being sold side by side and generally at different prices.

Reactions: SouthernMom

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
This kind of information is being shared in this thread: MSRP/INVOICE/PURCHASE PRICE thread which you should see looking down the thread list a bit.
While you are half correct, if you read the post, it acknowledges the thread you mention and states the individual believes there is justification for a 2018 specific thread. I do not entirely disagree given the 2018 refresh and that both 2017s and 2018s are are being sold side by side and generally at different prices.
MSRP and options essentially haven't changed. We're at same stage as in August 2016 when MY 2017 started arriving at the dealerships. The other thread still has invaluable information how to get the best deals in these early months.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ive found Subaru dealers in my area to be absolutely horrible so far. So much so that we haven't even driven an outback yet.

Dealership 1 in newport news, the salesman literally slither out the door. I despise casey - should have expected as much there, however.

Dealership we went to on braod st in richmond, never even came out to greet us, and didnt have any 18's on the lot last week.

If it's anything like these places, you can't even get honest help, let alone a 'deal'.
Looks like you are local to me. Casey is the dealer I bought my 2018 Outback from and received what I believe was a great out the door price. Of the 6 Dealers in the HR and Richmond area's their initial offer was the best as well. Service and follow up post sale have been great thus far.

Note, they have not received any fleet orders yet for 2018, so all the 2018s you see on the lot are sold orders. They should be getting the fleet orders in today (what they told me when I picked up mine last week.)

I'll admit that YMMV pending on the sales agent you pull. If you'd like PM me and I'll give you the name of the guy I worked with... not sure about the rules of publicly posting names.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think that 2018 folks are labeling their posts with 2018. Seems easy to do a sub-thread search and just get the posts with 2018. Now things are going to be split up, was just trying to encourage keeping things together. Perhaps there's a way to move the 2018 prices from that thread to this one to get them together?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that 2018 folks are labeling their posts with 2018. Seems easy to do a sub-thread search and just get the posts with 2018. Now things are going to be split up, was just trying to encourage keeping things together. Perhaps there's a way to move the 2018 prices from that thread to this one to get them together?
I actually have the opposite opinion, the main MSRP thread is getting confusing and the 2018 (and beyond) needs its own thread as there is a lot of MSRP/Buying data from 2015-2017 in the main thread that is now irrelevant for most prospective buyers right now....

Also dealers seem to be not acknowledging that 2018 are coming and seem to be reticent in providing invoice/below invoice prices (upto $1500 below as some have got).

Will be interesting to see if dealers are on their high horse come Dec. or early next year for the 2018.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I actually have the opposite opinion, the main MSRP thread is getting confusing and the 2018 (and beyond) needs its own thread as there is a lot of MSRP/Buying data from 2015-2017 in the main thread that is now irrelevant for most prospective buyers right now....

Also dealers seem to be not acknowledging that 2018 are coming and seem to be reticent in providing invoice/below invoice prices (upto $1500 below as some have got).

Will be interesting to see if dealers are on their high horse come Dec. or early next year for the 2018.
Perhaps there could be current MY pricing threads that are stickied -- so 2018 now, 2019 next June/July, but put them up top so their easy to find with a focus on the current MY?

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,032 Posts

Be patient,The new Crosstrek the Ascent next summer and the new Forester in the fall the Outback will be yesterdays news. Discounts will be huge for leftover 18's and 19's

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
. Since 2018 is a significant change (both in options and pricing), ...

Would like to know from Dealers here if that can be combined with the Subaru Loyalty coupon. I know it cant be combined with an Ambassador coupon but the Loyalty one specifically says it can be combined with other promo offers.
Um, sorry, but I don't consider it to be that significant. It's a simple mid-model refresh with a couple of new things is all. As for pricing - they went up a little, and it's early in the model year, so I have no incentive to cheap sell a quality product.

In fact, by the actions of consumers trying to get the mythical 'best deal possible', what you're actually doing is cheapening the actual brand and hurting yourself in the long run because you're telling the manufacturer that their product isn't worth it to you, and that it shouldn't have the resale value it has.

I have a better idea, one that probably @Kevin would agree with. Just go negotiate a decent deal and quit sweating the little stuff.

If the coupon says it's valid for a 2017 Outback, that would tend to mean you're not going to get to use it on a 2018 model.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um, sorry, but I don't consider it to be that significant. It's a simple mid-model refresh with a couple of new things is all. As for pricing - they went up a little, and it's early in the model year, so I have no incentive to cheap sell a quality product.

In fact, by the actions of consumers trying to get the mythical 'best deal possible', what you're actually doing is cheapening the actual brand and hurting yourself in the long run because you're telling the manufacturer that their product isn't worth it to you, and that it shouldn't have the resale value it has.

I have a better idea, one that probably @Kevin would agree with. Just go negotiate a decent deal and quit sweating the little stuff.

If the coupon says it's valid for a 2017 Outback, that would tend to mean you're not going to get to use it on a 2018 model.
Thanks for your comment, but that was not my question. I never meant to use a 2017 Auto show coupon with a 2018. Mr. Obvious huh?? Besides its only valid for 90 days...

Would like to know if an Auto show coupon can be combined with the Subaru Loyalty coupon?I know it cant be combined with an Ambassador coupon but the Loyalty one specifically says it can be combined with other promo offers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thats funny. LOL.

I had a sales manager in Richmond tell me nearly the same thing when I bought my 15 VW TDI. "I dont have any incentive to sell it to you for that price".

Guess what, I dont have any incentive to buy it either. I went 60 miles north to NoVA/Alexandria and paid 3500.00 less for the same exact car.

Car dealers indeed. And people wonder why we hate buying cars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for your comment, but that was not my question. I never meant to use a 2017 Auto show coupon with a 2018. Mr. Obvious huh?? Besides its only valid for 90 days...

Would like to know if an Auto show coupon can be combined with the Subaru Loyalty coupon?I know it cant be combined with an Ambassador coupon but the Loyalty one specifically says it can be combined with other promo offers.
Should say it on the coupon. In the past the show coupons were 90 day limited versions of the ambassador coupon and could not be combined.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

I am with you. One long thread with 3000+ posts is hard to search and navigate. A lot better to have 10 threads each with 300 posts specific to topics at hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should say it on the coupon. In the past the show coupons were 90 day limited versions of the ambassador coupon and could not be combined.
I checked and on the Auto show coupon it says can be combined with customer cash but not other coupons. My Loyalty Incentive though says "can be combined with other offers".

So what other offers are there to combine with? And is the Loyalty Incentive considered as customer cash or just another coupon??

Dealers, past buyers, anyone besides Mr.Obvious....time to get this resolved for all prospective buyers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think a separate thread for each year makes sense. Here's what I ordered:

2018 Touring 3.6r in Wilderness Green with Popular Package #3. Total came out to $36,425 including dealer fees but before tax/title/licensing. Invoice is $37,675 (so this is $1250 under invoice).

I'm in Seattle, WA. Placed the order on 7/7, got an immediate order number email. On 8/7 I got a VIN and a 9/17 delivery date. Hope it comes early (way way early!).

·
Registered
18 Posts

I'm all for finding a price that seems fair and moving on with life. But years and years of dealers hiding behind opaque, sleazy sales tactics, and confusing pricing to get the most money out of consumers have trained us customers believe that no matter what, the dealer is trying to rip us off. Two sides to the coin...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm all for finding a price that seems fair and moving on with life. But years and years of dealers hiding behind opaque, sleazy sales tactics, and confusing pricing to get the most money out of consumers have trained us customers believe that no matter what, the dealer is trying to rip us off. Two sides to the coin...
"youre only hurting yourself if you try and get a great deal. You should pay MSRP to protect your resale value"

Good lord LOL

As to what they're worth to me? Ive got a spreadsheet going. If we decide on the outback, around 30.5K for a limited with eyesight , and around 32K for a touring (2.5). Any more than that, and I'll buy something else. We have till next spring.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited, Twilight Blue
57 Posts
A $500 donation (tax deductible) to ASPCA got us a Founders benefit of invoice -2%. You can dance the math on this with your particular configuration, but coupled with a $500 loyalty coupon and guaranteed trade in value for our 2016 made for an easy transaction. No spreadsheet required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.