Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand how to turn off the radio properly. If you push the radio knob in, the volume is mute. If you hold the knob in for a few seconds the radio turns off and the screen shuts down. But then when you turn off car and turn back on, the radio also turns back on. Also if the radio is off with screen shut down, you can use the screen for items like navigation or other functions. I can't believe I can't figure out how to simply turn off the radio but keep the screen on....

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
toggle switch for power wire is needed

-really bad engineers of this radio on when you don't want on

·
Registered
20 Posts
What's really bad is when you use the USB port for an iPod. As soon as you turn off the car, the audio book (or music) you're listening to stops and it switches over to the radio. Since the radio is typically a lot louder than the iPod, you get blasted with music or static. Then, when you turn the car back on, even if you had the radio off, you get blasted with the radio again! After a few seconds, the iPod will come back on. It's hard do believe Subaru would let something as stupid as this slip by their product testing. I sure hope they did a better job programming their eyesight system than they did their audio on-off switch!

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
What's really bad is when you use the USB port for an iPod. As soon as you turn off the car, the audio book (or music) you're listening to stops and it switches over to the radio. Since the radio is typically a lot louder than the iPod, you get blasted with music or static. Then, when you turn the car back on, even if you had the radio off, you get blasted with the radio again! After a few seconds, the iPod will come back on. It's hard do believe Subaru would let something as stupid as this slip by their product testing. I sure hope they did a better job programming their eyesight system than they did their audio on-off switch!
Eyesight with ACC has limitations, so you still need to keep that in mind and pay attention, but the head unit is truly a bugfest and in many ways a design WTF which makes you think they let drunken monkeys design an implement it.

All other features of the car seem to contribute to safe driving operation and the head unit is designed to distract.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This works on my hubby's 2018 Premium. At least for light and sound. When the radio is on, turn the volume to zero. Then push the power button and hold it until the screen powers off. I don't think it's actually off - but if you do this when you exit your car, when you start it up again the screen will be dark and sound will be off.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
248 Posts
That is one of the quirks us 2018'ers will have to deal with - the radio always on. I am hoping (wishful?) that a future update will allow you to choose what the hold off does (full off or when the car turns on radio is on again).

·
Registered
2018 Outback limited, tungsten
1 Posts
Radio will not turn off

Very poor engineering. I hope a future software upgrade will address this issue. For now I turn the volume down to zero.

·
Registered
1 Posts
radio issue

It may seem like a small issue, but if, before I bought my 2018 outback, I had know that every time I turned on the car the radio would start I would have considered another vehicle. I find it very annoying.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,590 Posts
That does seem like a strange "feature". I wonder if it was intended to to operate that way, or if it's a design flaw created when adding some other feature was attempted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, this is how it works. I would think if I turn the radio off, turn off the ignition and exit the car that when I come back to the car and start the car again the radio would be off. But no, when I start the car the radio comes on. A minor inconvenience to reach up and mute or turn the radio off. Otherwise I like the car so it's not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is worse is that if you are listening to media (i.e. USB stick) and turn the car off the media become unavailable and the audio system nicely changes to the radio. So instead of the nice quiet music you were listening to you are suddenly blasted by horrible radio noise. I wish I could replace the entertainment system but its so custom there is nothing available. I'm getting ready to flip this car that is only 6 months old. Have had Subaru cars for 20 years but I think I'm done if this is the sort of stupidity they are up to now.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5 Magnetite Grey, 5th Outback
76 Posts
This works quite well, and is reported elsewhere.

Put on the Sirius Radio Station 0. Dead silence and it will stay that way. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
3 Posts
SXM Station 0 to keep audio off when restarting car

This works quite well, and is reported elsewhere.

Put on the Sirius Radio Station 0. Dead silence and it will stay that way. Problem solved.
That's a great idea. Thanks for sharing it. I found that I could still get to Station 0 even though I let my subscription to SXM lapse.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
7 Posts
Very poor engineering. I hope a future software upgrade will address this issue. For now I turn the volume down to zero.
I agree, very annoying and hopefully a firmware upgrade in the works. I rarely use media and have found that if you press the media icon with no input then there is golden silence.

Easier to touch the media button when you are through with the radio than navigating to Sirius channel 0 IMHO.

How do we prod Subaru to fix this issue among others?????

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
156 Posts
I agree, very annoying and hopefully a firmware upgrade in the works. I rarely use media and have found that if you press the media icon with no input then there is golden silence.

Easier to touch the media button when you are through with the radio than navigating to Sirius channel 0 IMHO.

How do we prod Subaru to fix this issue among others?????
You don't have to navigate to Sirius channel 0. Just set it on one of the preset buttons.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts