Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Limited Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I've been researching my problem for a few days and do not see any threads specifically about this issue....

I did post some comments in a thread about "Motion Sickness" in a 2018 Outback that may be relative to windows.

We recently purchased a 2018 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Loving so much about it but having a difficult time with the drivers and passengers side front glass and to a lesser extent the windshield.

Vision is impacted when looking through these panes on extended drives. We find we are constantly refocusing our eyes while driving or in passenger seat. Somewhat like wearing someone else's prescription glasses that are close to your prescription but not perfect. Impact is most obvious to us when looking out the side windows at objects beyond the mirrors. This is annoying at best and has actually caused a "sea legs" uneasiness when we got out of the car a time or two.

We are just now starting to escalate this with our dealership and are hopeful for a cooperative response. We also will certainly drive other 2018s to see if they impact us the same way.

I am aware of the 2018 change to sound reducing glass in the front side windows and do imagine this glass glass type is somehow involved in our problem. I would love to learn we just got some bad glass and a replacement will take care of our problem an let us love our new, not even-made-a-payment-on Outback.

Thanks for any info or thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5 Magnetite Grey, 5th Outback
74 Posts
Ha, this was the first thing I noticed when I picked up my new 18 outback limited, the distortion out the side window while adjusting the side rear view mirror. After a bit I found that the side mirror was warped, dealer agreed, and has placed an order for a new one.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,829 Posts
Yes, replacement glass would solve the problem if you get a good replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Window Distortion

Glad to see Im not the only one. Front windows of my 2018 limited are slightly optically distorted. Extremely annoying. I am guessing it has to do with the new sound insulating glass for the 2018 model year. Very disappointed with my dealer. They refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem and now I'm forced to escalate the problem with corporate.You would think that they would try to satisfy a family that has purchased 4 subarus in the past. The dealership is very shortsighted. they have lost us as future customers.
Wonder how extensive this issue is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update

Just got off the phone with Subaru. If the dealer doesn't acknowledge that there is a problem they won't send a rep out or help me in any way. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
@mrearly , do you have dealer installed tint on your front driver and passenger windows? If so, could be due to poor quality window tint.

David

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Limited Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mrearly.....

I am the original poster....Update on our situation (and sorry to hear of your dealers response...)

Wife and I visited our Northern Colorado dealer on Friday 12/1/17.....drove around in our 2018 with our salesman for about 20 minutes....he did see a visual problem with our glass (specifically kept mentioning how he saw distortion in the upper portion of the front passenger window...very noticeable when moving window up and down while looking at an object beyond). We then got into another new 2018 Limited...identical trim level, <10 miles on vehicle, and immediately felt visual relief and no distortion....10 minute drive in that vehicle. Salesman went in to talk to Service Manager and informed us that they would be ordering us 3 new windows for replacement. We should expect a call in about a week.

Great response so far......still waiting for the call that glass is in and ready for install. Fingers crossed that replacement glass resolves the issue. Haven't even made a payment on the vehicle and it sits in our garage waiting for this problem to be resolved....frustrated but hopeful the replacement glass is solution.

Will update further when the replacement glass is installed....

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is happening to me as well. I had the glass replaced, and same issue! The dealer also sees the issue and just says that is how the glass comes, tempered glass doesn't have a clear view. I can't understand how the company is mass producing glass that doesn't have a clear view through it. Subaru wants to offer me a cash settlement to be done with this, but I don't know if I should go that route. I don't know why I should have this car for 3 years and not see clearly through the windows. Has anyone had any further progress with their problems?

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
Wow, haven't noticed this on my 18 O.B., just bought earlier this month. Will def. be looking to see if there is a problem. Thanks for post.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,399 Posts
I drove an '18 Crosstrek loaner. After I brought it back I told the service manager about the optical distortion in the driver side window. Right about where I would look when making a turn.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Limited Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Folks, apologies for not providing my update as promised...here it is:

-Dealership agreed to replace windshield, drivers and passengers side glass on 12/1/17
-Glass took a month to arrive at dealership....installed the 3 windows on 1/3/18

Results:
* 100% resolution to problem with (both) new side windows...very satisfied.
* Windshield...still a problem, although problem is reduced. We are undecided at this time if we will continue to pursue another replacement or if will continue to provide feedback to SOA and hope there is official recognition (recall?) of a glass problem.

-We are now at least enjoying our new (and 1st) Outback

We will continue to speak well of our dealership, service has been great.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
The problem could be related to the polarization of the windows interfering with polarized glasses/sunglasses. While I don't have the problem on my outback, I do on my Infiniti. I don't have any issue when I'm driving without my polarized driving glasses, but as soon as I put them on, I see a lot of "distortion" in the side windows.

This was made worse by the polarized window tint. Apparently a combination of a polarized window glass and polarized window tint can make the situation worse. I found a different set of driving glasses and no more problem. If the dealer isn't wearing polarized glasses, then he is lees likely to "see" the problem.

Just a thought....

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts