Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just took home our 2018 outback and am having an issue with the radio at times where the FM/AM stops working but other functions like XM still work. Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 and I haven't noticed this problem. I have had a problem with the CD player. I listen to books on CD and sometimes it comes back on when I crank the car and other times I have to eject it and put it back in to get it to play.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
In the '17's the volume for AM/FM are independent of Sirius and Pandora. Check to see you don't have volume turned off for AM/FM and change to the others then switch back forgetting you had volume off.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
I noticed today that the 2018 doesn't seem to have mirrorlink like the previous years, unless someone else knows how to get it. I was kinda hoping to utilize that!
That's because the 18's now have Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
This morning I saved an FM HD station to my favorites and listened on my way to work. Left for my drive back home this evening and there was no audio at all. The assistant voice wouldn't sound, the radio was stuck on that same station and wouldn't change to another source like AM or XM. Tuning knob didn't function either but using the scan button resulted in it changing one station but no further. Driver status display showed "Radio..." but not the station details. In settings all volumes were buried at 0. If I changed the volume manually it didn't bring back the audio and immediately reset itself back to 0.

Nav worked fine sans the audio, as did telematics functions. I stopped the car, shut it down and opened the door to kill it. Powered back up to the same issue. It flat out refused to recover until performing a factory reset.

Ive had other strangeness where the screen wouldn't fully build and missing the station hot keys. When that happens Android Auto won't work either.

The software on this new head unit is clearly beta.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 | Eyesight | Magnetite Grey
52 Posts
I hope so too. I got stuck with no sound except phone on the way home from the dealership the night I bought it (which was a rough experience to begin with). Luckily the forum helped me fix that. I've noticed that when I shut the engine off the radio stays on but switches to SiriusXM even though I was listening to thumb drive. Clearly beta.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 2.5i Premium
96 Posts
On the way into work this morning, listening to music or podcasts didn't work. Using either bluetooth or the USB cable and Android Auto resulted in the sound being a garbled mess. So bad that you couldn't even understand any of it. At first I thought it was the speakers, but the normal radio worked fine. Also weird was navigation via Android Auto gave crystal clear audio directions. Turning the car off/on didn't fix it. Neither did turning the phone off and on. Haven't had this issue at all before, and I use bluetooth all the time. I'll have to investigate a bit more when I get home.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Eyesight, 2018 Legacy 3.6R Eyesight
276 Posts
It's funny how many were complaining about the 15-17 headunits so Subaru "upgrades" on the 18 and it sounds like the glitches have not gone away....

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
272 Posts
It's funny how many were complaining about the 15-17 headunits so Subaru "upgrades" on the 18 and it sounds like the glitches have not gone away....
Traded one set of glitches for a new set of glitches. Interesting. You would think they need to update and fix these issues.

My CD Played will not reliably play. I have to eject and reinsert the CD and it seems to pick up at the same song in the same spot. But I have to eject to get the CD recognized again after turning the car off, or sometimes just switching to XM or Radio and then going back to the CD.

I have also found my iPod does not reliably connect and/or show my playlists/artists/songs etc.

EDIT: I just realized when I switch to the iPod, the display says; "Please initiate playback". That threw me off since it never did that before. It would simply show my iPod categories. But I guess this is their way of saying; Play a song if you want. LOL

I also read where the new 2018 Infotainment system is (at least the one in the Limited) is made by Harman. NOT Fujitsu Ten.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,434 Posts
Traded one set of glitches for a new set of glitches. Interesting. You would think they need to update and fix these issues.

My CD Played will not reliably play. I have to eject and reinsert the CD and it seems to pick up at the same song in the same spot. But I have to eject to get the CD recognized again after turning the car off, or sometimes just switching to XM or Radio and then going back to the CD.

I have also found my iPod does not reliably connect and/or show my playlists/artists/songs etc.

I also read where the new 2018 Infotainment system is (at least the one in the Limited) is made by Harman. NOT Fujitsu Ten.
I have few problems with my 2017 Limited sound system. Only real quirk is not always holding the station I have selected. it often reverts to the lowest station which I believe is 87.7. I will bring it up again with my dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had issues where the volume on the radio went way up after taking a phone call while navigation was going on in the background. Once I hung up the phone, the radio volume went extremely loud and the navigation was barely noticeable. I "shut" off the radio and when I turned it back on, the radio volume went back to normal, but the navigation voice prompts were barely noticeable. Hoping this was a one time freak occurrence.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
272 Posts
I had issues where the volume on the radio went way up after taking a phone call while navigation was going on in the background. Once I hung up the phone, the radio volume went extremely loud and the navigation was barely noticeable. I "shut" off the radio and when I turned it back on, the radio volume went back to normal, but the navigation voice prompts were barely noticeable. Hoping this was a one time freak occurrence.
Is there a setting for Navigation voice volume? I don't really know, but you would think that would be adjustable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Just took home our 2018 outback and am having an issue with the radio at times where the FM/AM stops working but other functions like XM still work. Anyone else run into this?
I shut off the engine and the next time it was started the radio had no sound on any format, going to the dealer in the a.m.

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts
Is there a setting for Navigation voice volume? I don't really know, but you would think that would be adjustable.
Ya, press and hold the tuning knob down for a few secs and it will bring up a setting screen to change various volume levels.

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts
My issues have been with Apple CarPlay, sometimes when I plug my phone in, the phone displays the CarPlay logo but the head unit doesn't seem to register it. The CarPlay shortcut is greyed out. I have to shut the car down completely to get it to work again.

I also can't get Pandora to play via CarPlay. It works fine with the built-in app, so as long as I catch the "Allow" prompt quick enough. iHeartRadio works fine.

Nothing like living on the bleeding edge. :)

UPDATE: It worked this morning, but I didn't have any other radio function active at the time. I think where I've run into issues is where I already have another radio function active and try to switch the CarPlay to use Pandora. Will have to test some more.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts