Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had our Limited Outback for a week and had a road trip to play with all the tech. Still figuring a few things out.

On the trip we used the nav a lot, and I love it. Today, my iPhone was connected by BT, and I pressed the voice button on the steering wheel, and it defaulted to Siri and Apple Maps for navigation (wasn’t displayed on the screen, just the phone). I did not have the phone hardwired so CarPlay was not a factor.

My assumption prior to this was that Apple Maps would only be triggered with CarPlay but it appears, to have the voice button trigger TomTom navigation, the iPhone cannot be connected to the system at all.

Do I have this right? I’d always prefer to use TomTom in order to save data on my phone.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
I don't have an iPhone, but your question got me curious.

It appears that you must exit Siri on the phone (or exit the built in voice recognition system in the Outback) to use one or the other. I looked at the Starlink manual and found the two different pages below. Based on those (and not being able to play with my own system), it appears that you can have your iPhone connected via BT and use hands free calling and the various other BT functionality but still retain the native voice system for Nav if you "exit" Siri while you're in the car -- i.e., you can have the phone connected to the system but with voice activated services defaulting to the onboard unit, such as still using voice-directed Navigation if you like.

Afraid I have no idea about exiting Siri or turning off that functionality. I expect another iOS user can shed light on that if you're not sure either.

On a purely editorial / opinion basis, I haven't seen a whole lot of folks praising the voice recog system, especially for navigation, but have seen complaints. I'm glad it works for you! I've only ever used it for quickly checking a map and instead use Google maps or Waze for true directions / navigation / map search. Supposedly a coming iOS update will allow CarPlay users to use third-party apps (Google and Waze and maybe others instead of Apple Maps) sometime soon. If something changes that allows you to care less about data usage, I'd be curious about your view of onboard Nav versus phone apps once you have a chance to try both.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i and 2018 Audi A4
54 Posts
The trick is the same on the Subaru as it is on my Audi so this may be a car play thing. If you press the voice button quickly you talk to the car’s voice recognition system. If you hold the button a little longer you talk to Siri (or the Google equivalent). I tested this on my wife’s 2018 Outback.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
The trick is the same on the Subaru as it is on my Audi so this may be a car play thing. If you press the voice button quickly you talk to the car’s voice recognition system. If you hold the button a little longer you talk to Siri (or the Google equivalent). I tested this on my wife’s 2018 Outback.

I'm going to give this a try, as I'm annoyed by the in-car systems needs in terms of dialing and all.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Yep, quick press of the button gives you the Subaru voice interface, but press and hold for a second and you get Siri. I use Siri for voice dialing, because it gets it right first time every time, while the car comes up with some bizarre name choices. But I'll say my Audi was just as bad at selecting the correct contact, and I couldn't get to Siri with it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
265 Posts
Odd, the quick press summons Siri for me, just like a longer press. I can find no way to access the car's own voice recognition as long as my iPhone is plugged in. 2108 3.6R with 8" Starlink.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
Odd, the quick press summons Siri for me, just like a longer press. I can find no way to access the car's own voice recognition as long as my iPhone is plugged in. 2108 3.6R with 8" Starlink.

That’s correct, with the phone plugged in CarPlay is running and Siri is all you’ll get. If the phone is NOT plugged in, and connected to the system via Bluetooth, then a quick press will access the phone via the car system, and a longer press will activate Siri.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i and 2018 Audi A4
54 Posts
That’s correct, with the phone plugged in CarPlay is running and Siri is all you’ll get. If the phone is NOT plugged in, and connected to the system via Bluetooth, then a quick press will access the phone via the car system, and a longer press will activate Siri.
I have to check this on the wife's car. I thought it worked the same as my 2018 A4 where you could always talk to the car using a short press.

Out I go to the garage for a test…

You are correct. When plugged in and CarPlay is enabled you can only talk to Siri. Even if you do not have CarPlay active on the screen you can only talk to Siri. Apparently there is no way to talk to the car when CarPlay is enabled and the phone is plugged in. That is unfortunate because now you cannot use any of the voice commands for the car and Nav system. This is not the case with my A4. In the A4 you can always use a short press to talk to the car and you always need a long press to talk to Siri.

It sure would be nice if these interfaces were standardized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts