Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you get a torque wrench with your new car? It's supposed to be in the rear with the jack & lug wrench but I don't see it in my car. Is it missing or a dealer oversight? Is it even included anymore manual says it's supposed to be there.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts
Look for a long handle torx head wrench amongst the tools.
There's a pix of it in the manual. It's section 8 of the 2016 manual.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Touring 6MT, 2014 GSW TDI 6MT
103 Posts
Did you get a torque wrench with your new car? It's supposed to be in the rear with the jack & lug wrench but I don't see it in my car. Is it missing or a dealer oversight? Is it even included anymore manual says it's supposed to be there.

You were expecting a $100 wrench in the back?

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
Torx is a driver bit style... Torque is a device for tightening a bolt to a specification.

Torx fittings are used throughout the car. Subaru provides one that is attached to a screwdriver handle. It is a $1 item. A good torque wrench can go from $100 to $1000.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,150 Posts
Or with a coupon, you can get one a Harbor Freight for $9.

I used to slum in ski and bike shops for a 2nd job through my life. Downhill (release) bindings needed to have the release specs checked. On rental fleets, 2 times a season. The torque wrench for testing a binding were or $10,000 out of Europe. Reclaibartion every 2 seasons ran $1200.

What's a lawsuit for a torqued knee run you think?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know why they call it that but it's to adjust the roof rack cross bar position. The Touring doesn't have the gigantic roof rack & cross bars, so they don't give me the wrench. I'm sad now. They spell it torque in the manual instead of torx go figure.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
561 Posts
Was getting ready to ask this same question about my new '18 Touring model.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
302 Posts
You were expecting a $100 wrench in the back?
Is that unreasonable when you're spending $30k-$40k for a vehicle? The manual states that it comes with a torque wrench. Granted, they only use "torque wrench" in the manual to outline adjusting the crossbars, but they should still know that it's a confusing term vs. "Torx" or "star".

Page 9-3 from my '16, listing the maintenance tools that come with the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts
Actually the torx head tool acts as a torque wrench. It deflects as the bolt is tightened. So I don't consider the manual has confused torx vs torque. Granted the tool is somewhat single-purposed having only a torx end and not looking like a traditional torque wrench.

·
Registered
95 Posts
LOL
Mine was missing also. I called the dealer after a few days when I noticed it.
I asked if the person who put on my wheel locks used it and forgot to put it back. The salesman said it was doubtful and when my registration comes in, see him.
I did and I guess they took one from another OB or went to the parts dept. and got me one.
It is the small one in Post #4 by Absolutezero.
I said what is this and he said it is used to attach the cross bars on the roof.
I thought it was for the lug nuts.
These must be a high theft item at dealerships. :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,714 Posts
Mystery solved.

My 2005 and 2008 both came with a straight screwdriver style T-30 driver. It's somewhat self-limiting in torque application simply because they didn't make the tool handgrip very large, and it would cause discomfort to apply a lot of torque with it, but I suppose some could overdo it and pull the insert out of the bottom piece. Hence, Subaru must have attempted to address this with the newer design.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry I didn't read the roof rack section of the manual very carefully (since the touring doesn't exactly have one) or I wouldn't have posted this. But maybe somebody else learned something besides me.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
That's right! The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,532 Posts
It's a Torx torque wrench. Since its only purpose is to move the rear crossbar on non-Touring models between the forward and back positions, it's not used with the roof racks that come on the Touring models.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts