Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 OB sold with 280k, 2018 base April 2018, 8k so far
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning started with finding broken lens parts in the parking lot a couple spots down from my car. Turned out they were mine.

Subaru part is 84912AL05A and is 209 dollars

There are several other parts available for as much as 50 dollars at rockauto.

Is there a significant difference in these parts? Can I source the same part for the entire assembly for less? I do not want a lamp that does not look the same as the original one on the driver side.

Also, are there any manuals recommended to purchase for service and parts? I usually keep cars 15 years and perform most services at home, so I guess it is time to buy one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts
Subaru's pricing on lens are strange. Don't recall specifics but I found the entire assembly, including lens, were significant cheaper than the lens that was included with the assembly.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Buy a left and right light assembly from Rockauto ($60 ea) and if the replaced one matches the one on the other side you can send that one back. I changed one light assembly on my 03 Forester and 04 Ford Explorer from rockauto and I can't tell the difference between them.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,657 Posts
Isn't vandalism to your car covered by insurance? I know it is with any insurance I've ever had.

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Likely it is covered. I prefer higher deductible policy as the rare small claim (like having a psychotic neighbor in the town where I work) is not as expensive as full coverage. It helps that I can do the work myself, saving on labor and generally makes me feel better about the situation.

Thanks for the advice on the aftermarket parts. I had not considered getting left and right in case they had different illumination.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Not that it matters bur are you sure it is vandalism and someone did not back into it?

Last time I replaced a lens it was on an '03 Explorer. Ordered one from Rock Auto and it matched perfectly.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
I had a similar incident to our rear light. Deductible and filing an insurance claim wouldn't be worth it so I found a used one on eBay in great condition for $80 shipped. Easy replacement.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
759 Posts
I bet it was due to the spontaneous tail light shattering defect on 2018s. Next it will be the windshield. Sell it before it gets worse! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that it matters bur are you sure it is vandalism and someone did not back into it?

Last time I replaced a lens it was on an '03 Explorer. Ordered one from Rock Auto and it matched perfectly.
The bulb wasn't broken, there is no visible damage to the reflector, not a scratch on the body or bumper, and two other cars had the same side damaged this week in the same manner. This guy paces the parking lot at all times of the night, smokes endlessly, and babbles on about conspiracies and being a secret agent. I just hope the voices don't tell him to do it again after its fixed.
Maybe the rock auto cheap one is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
The bulb wasn't broken, there is no visible damage to the reflector, not a scratch on the body or bumper, and two other cars had the same side damaged this week in the same manner. This guy paces the parking lot at all times of the night, smokes endlessly, and babbles on about conspiracies and being a secret agent. I just hope the voices don't tell him to do it again after its fixed.
Maybe the rock auto cheap one is the way to go.
Have you all filed police reports about the loony tune pacing the lot?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts