Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded our 2016 Limited for a new 2018 Limited today... woo hoo! Really glad for the following "little things"... plus other refresh enhancements:

"Resolved!"

Storage Door in front of shift knob = now, has enough of a gap so it doesn't pinch smartphone usb cables... yeah!

Touch Screen / Infotainment = Amazing... great colors... responsive!!! Also, no more "wavy lines" when viewing the screen at an angle with a glare...

Tom-Tom Maps / Apple CarPlay = ...the bees knees!

Radio Stations = now listed left-right on the screen to match left-right steering wheel buttons (this was a biggie for my wife)

"Unresolved!"

Red Readout for Compass-in-Rearview Mirror = (it's nice, but again -- a peeve...) would like to have a permanent on-off switch for that sucker... always would reset and I turned it off manually every time I started the car -- actually seems worse, as now there is no 'off' switch... the best suggestions I've come across it to just put a little square of electrical tape over the readout

All-Weather Mats = why not just make them like the Husky Mats? Our ('03 Outback seemed to have thicker, chunkier ones (!)

Observations:

Air Conditioning Tip = dial the driver window (left side) flow dial down 1/2-way... then more flow comes out the middle vents (Subaru touted more airflow, but I wasn't sure I was feeling it... thus, a simple adjustment on the dial really helped)

Rear Auto Lift Gate = ...seemed about the same at one of the other dealerships, however it does seem to have a tad more 'pep' (lol... dealer told me it's slow on purpose, for 'slow old' people). Like before there's an "anti-pinch" feature, like when a backpack strap dangled out -- but anti-pinch? I'm too afraid to stick my hand in there!

Aftermarket Husky Mats = same fitment between 2016 and 2018 for sure... verified this via Husky's website, and indeed they do fit -- aka same exact floor layout -- bonus!

Woofer / Speakers = so rich, my brain senses were "grinning" from how great the stereo system sounds when I test drove, and again driving home today. Bass, clarity, etc just gives the entire cabin of the car that special, dynamic "oomph" for your soul... I did like our previous system, however didn't really expect this to be such a great perk -- bonus!

SRH - Steering Responsive Headlights = At the top of my list, I was really interested in these, and after my first midnight run to the store... I discovered they're so "fun"... err, make that "funny" -- as advertised, they're continually peering left-right as you steer... they make me kind of laugh inside (in a good way). The LED headlights are extremely nice for a crisp, bright view... they're just perfect.

Steering Wheel Buttons = they did remove / add a couple buttons... the layout is nice, and the plastic is not cheap or anything... a nice quality, kind of sleek looking, and the backlighting on the buttons is nice

Head Unit and A/C Controls = ...all buttons are well organized, sleek, and nicely thought out. I thought the temperature-in-knob-readouts might be goofy compared to the previous design, however they're quite nice.

Rearward View / Mirror = the new rearview mirror is larger, and nice clarity, thin bezel (same compass-in-glass peeve, tho, ha!)... seems like better vision out the rear all-around i.e. seems looking over my right shoulder the view is better...

Overall Feel / Handling = After an initial consultation for swapping cars, I had a super drive home from a dealer a bit further away over the Hwy 121 + Hwy 128 Lake Berreyessa backroads for about 30min... and loved all the curves and manual mode w/ the paddle shifters with our 2016 Limited, a totally amazing car. And then, today -- going back to trade it in for the 2018 and taking it over the same route, well... again, my "brain was grinning" from the way the new one handled. Grippy in turns, solid "pep" on climbs, and some kind of "lightness of being" as you fly along -- while the 2016 felt like a comfortable baseball mitt that had broken in after ~9 mos, the 2018 felt instantly familiar in all aspects of handling, "and then some" with its comfort and lightness, a kind of soaring feeling... of course, you're solidly connected to the road... the music going... the moonroof open and windows down in the autumn air... Wooo hoooo-o-o-ohh, yeah!

Just a little 'fyi'... maybe more later... GO SUBARU!!!

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,370 Posts
Have to agree fully with your post. 2X about the radio sound filling the car with sound, I missed that when driving the 16, my 05 CT wagon fills the car with sound.

Our 18 3.6R came with Weather Tech floor mat's. We should have gotten them for the 2016 instead of the crappy OEM winter mat's.

I'll add the outside air temp and clock are much easier to read. We love the gray leather seats, gives the car a lighter/brighter feel when sitting in them.

Reading your post, I was laughing that someone else noticed the same things I was tell her about...she dose notice some of the things but think's I'm being to picky...women...got to love'm.

She has said she does like this car better already, so I guess she does have a clue ;)

Reactions: PricklyPear

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,370 Posts
we got $28,000 for the trade in, balance on the loan was $8600. The "hit" is all relative, once you experience the upgrades, you cares.

She was like you, "I don't want to lose everything we paid so far...she's very happy we traded now.

The new car has 0%, plus we put more money down and the new payment is half what it was.

It's all in how you justify it.

Go drive one or just sit in one. We didn't test drive the 18, just sat in one a few weeks back.

This is kind of like my 98'GT wagon that I traded it on the 00' GT wagon. A friend told me how much of a difference there was between a 99' and a 00' when he test drove them. The 00' was like $160 more but had a number of improvements.

One day I stopped in to look at a 00' GT wagon. The car was parked on a grassy knoll at the Dealership. I started it up, backed off the knoll, onto the dirt, then drove forward onto the pavement, I was sold. There was that much difference.

The 2018 is close to that.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 'hit' of course, although as another posted it's really how you justify it -- aka mileage resets to '0', fresh tires, that new car smell, or whatever (that Aussie guy Cardogan's YouTube buyer's tactics videos were pretty entertaining and informative, very helpful). That said, the 2018 refreshes all around propels you past 'just the pet peeves', for sure...

0% for 63mos helped to 'peel' off the band aid -vs- ripping it off outright... yeah, food for thought, if that's what anyone's leaning toward. As a real plus, we did get out of an interest-based finance situation.

For us, not an apples-apples car since this time = included EyeSight package, etc -- amazing though now it's only just around ~2K difference... we do have have a new teen driver (gotta bubble wrap!)

This is our 4th Outback, and loved the 2016 -- it definitely feels like the 2018 has built upon an already wonderful Subaru.

Woooo Hooooo!

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
Traded our 2016 Limited for a new 2018 Limited today... woo hoo! Really glad for the following "little things"... plus other refresh enhancements:

"Resolved!"

Storage Door in front of shift knob = now, has enough of a gap so it doesn't pinch smartphone usb cables... yeah!

Touch Screen / Infotainment = Amazing... great colors... responsive!!! Also, no more "wavy lines" when viewing the screen at an angle with a glare...

Tom-Tom Maps / Apple CarPlay = ...the bees knees!

Radio Stations = now listed left-right on the screen to match left-right steering wheel buttons (this was a biggie for my wife)

"Unresolved!"

Red Readout for Compass-in-Rearview Mirror = (it's nice, but again -- a peeve...) would like to have a permanent on-off switch for that sucker... always would reset and I turned it off manually every time I started the car -- actually seems worse, as now there is no 'off' switch... the best suggestions I've come across it to just put a little square of electrical tape over the readout

All-Weather Mats = why not just make them like the Husky Mats? Our ('03 Outback seemed to have thicker, chunkier ones (!)

Observations:

Aftermarket Husky Mats = same fitment between 2016 and 2018 for sure... verified this via Husky's website, and indeed they do fit -- bonus!

Woofer / Speakers = so rich, my brain senses were "grinning" from how great the stereo system sounds when I test drove, and again driving home today. Bass, clarity, etc just gives the entire cabin of the car that special, dynamic "oomph" for your soul... I did like our previous system, however didn't really expect this to be such a great perk -- bonus!

SRH - Steering Responsive Headlights = At the top of my list, I was really interested in these, and after my first midnight run to the store... I discovered they're so "fun"... err, make that "funny" -- as advertised, they're continually peering left-right as you steer... they make me kind of laugh inside (in a good way). The LED headlights are extremely nice for a crisp, bright view... they're just perfect.

Steering Wheel Buttons = they did remove / add a couple buttons... the layout is nice, and the plastic is not cheap or anything... a nice quality, kind of sleek looking, and the backlighting on the buttons is nice

Head Unit and A/C Controls = ...all buttons are well organized, sleek, and nicely thought out. I thought the temperature-in-knob-readouts might be goofy compared to the previous design, however they're quite nice.

Rearward View / Mirror = the new rearview mirror is larger, and it seems looking over my right shoulder the view is better

Overall Feel / Handling = After an initial consultation for swapping cars, I had a super drive home from a dealer a bit further away over the Hwy 121 + Hwy 128 Lake Berreyessa backroads for about 30min... and loved all the curves and manual mode w/ the paddle shifters with our 2016 Limited, a totally amazing car. And then, today -- going back to trade it in for the 2018 and taking it over the same route, well... again, my "brain was grinning" from the way the new one handled. Grippy in turns, solid "pep" on climbs, and some kind of "lightness of being" as you fly along -- while the 2016 felt like a comfortable baseball mitt that had broken in after ~9 mos, the 2018 felt instantly familiar in all aspects of handling, "and then some" with its comfort and lightness, a kind of soaring feeling... of course, you're solidly connected to the road... the music going... the moonroof open and windows down in the autumn air... Wooo hoooo-o-o-ohh, yeah!

Just a little 'fyi'... maybe more later... GO SUBARU!!!
Side note question: is this "THE" Lake Berryessa that was mentioned in "Zodiac" as a murder site?

Just wondering........hard to forget that name!

Enjoy the new car! We're waiting to trade my 2015 LTD on the next Gen Outback in 2019.......

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,248 Posts
Side note question: is this "THE" Lake Berryessa that was mentioned in "Zodiac" as a murder site?

Enjoy the new car! We're waiting to trade my 2015 LTD on the next Gen Outback in 2019.......

Steve
Next Gen should be 2020. But who's counting!

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
30 Posts
Counting on the same phenomenon that makes it possible to own a 2018 car when it's still 2017! :)

To the OP - congrats on the new Outback. Now that your pet peeves have been resolved, you should have plenty of time to develop some new ones. :D

Kidding aside, I share some of your pet peeves such as the wavy infotainment screen. The 2018 model sounds like it has lots of nice enhancements.

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Premium w/ES 2002 2.5 OB 142k mi
301 Posts

Steve
It's the Berryessa that was in the middle of the No. Cal fire storm. Now that's scary.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the backroads home were wonderful... A beautiful week, and time to reflect: With the painful challenges Mother Nature sometimes throws our way, she sure can impress with her beauty... I decided to take some backroads via Napa-Berryessa-Winters home, and along with some of the fire-blackened areas, was the glow of autumn and the adaptation of of the wild grasses, chaparral, and live oak. Humbling and awe-inspiring at the same time.

In fact, before my last 3 signatures for the car, in the midst of our chit-chat the dealership finance guy explained circumstances he and his wife didn't buy a home this past year in the neighborhoods near the hills that the 60mph winds blew all of the fire onto -- hundreds of homes and structures in Santa Rosa and Napa were torched -- and how they ended up buying just down the street instead. He showed me photos from his iPhone he'd taken a couple weeks ago when the firestorm hit, and he'd spent hours on his rooftop watering his home and property. We live 30mi away by the crow, and thought it was bad enough with the air quality and schools and businesses closing down... and he is now still coughing and trying to clear his lungs, and of course a community with so much loss. He was ultra thankful he did not lose his home, yet some of his neighbors and friends had.

Scary indeed. Peace and well-wishes to all who have struggled this month...

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
I am impressed.......not with your confirmation BUT with my memory.......even spelled it correctly! Whoo hoo, here comes 71!

Steve (Still an idiot after all these years!)

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
608 Posts
Little miffed....

That the switchology doesn't stay lit for a few seconds or so once the car is turned off, not even with the doors open.
Oh, but the little blue lighting in the door handles. That's great! :3:
I noticed firstly that the door lock/unlock, window buttons are no longer lit when exiting the car at night. An then I noticed the switches buy the driver's left knee, the one with the power liftgate. It's not lit either.
Makes no sense, since the headlights stay lit for a moment.
Also I noticed when unlocking via the key fob at night. The only thing lit on the driver's door armrest, besides that little blue LED. Was the side mirror adjustment knob. :ucrazy:

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,063 Posts

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul
It will be a 2020 model available I assume June-July of 19. Any new product on the SGP will be great. My new Impreza is totally different from the last one on the old chassis. I predict the Gen 6 Outback will be more wagon(audi all track) than suv. The Acsent and Forester will handle the truck/suv job. Also, I still stand by my observation that (with the exception of the HU) it's hard to tell the difference between a 17 and 18. There are differences perhaps a tad quieter, ride is softer, cvt behaves different. I liked the front grill at first but I'm leaning towards the old one. And the extra cladding around the rear reflectors is tacky IMO and it looks like Subaru was trying to hard . The front bumper is nice. I like a more chiseled look

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
1,585 Posts
It will be a 2020 model available I assume June-July of 19. Any new product on the SGP will be great. My new Impreza is totally different from the last one on the old chassis. I predict the Gen 6 Outback will be more wagon(audi all track) than suv. The Acsent and Forester will handle the truck/suv job. Also, I still stand by my observation that (with the exception of the HU) it's hard to tell the difference between a 17 and 18. There are differences perhaps a tad quieter, ride is softer, cvt behaves different. I liked the front grill at first but I'm leaning towards the old one. And the extra cladding around the rear reflectors is tacky IMO and it looks like Subaru was trying to hard . The front bumper is nice. I like a more chiseled look
For me I'm still quite happy with my 16 and the refresh doesn't have enough to entice me into taking the hit on a trade. I'm looking to the 2021 model to give them a year to work out the kinks of the generation 6 and watch the real world reviews come in.

·
Registered
2019 OB 3.6R Limited, and 4 VW TDI bugs.
122 Posts
We too traded our 16 for the 18. Loved the 16, but the 18 is more refined. The OP’s list pretty much spells it out. Got a great trade in for the 16.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,766 Posts
For me I'm still quite happy with my 16 and the refresh doesn't have enough to entice me into taking the hit on a trade. I'm looking to the 2021 model to give them a year to work out the kinks of the generation 6 and watch the real world reviews come in.
I'm planning to keep my 2015 for 7 to 8 years. I'm kind of hoping some disruptive features like a self-driving car will be pretty common by then. The "princess & the pea" little nits people are using to justify trading up a couple model years aren't resonating with me. My girlfriend owns a Volvo S-80. My biggest complaint about the Outback after driving that are the seats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.