Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, This is my first Subaru first post :), I have been driving the 2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R for almost a week and been noticing a couple of observations and would love to get the support from this great forum . Before I start I didn’t add up anything to the car apart from the 3M Crystalline tint yesterday and all of the observations happened before the tint. I emailed Subaru about 3 issues 4 days ago and didn’t get a response until now.

1 – Oil temperature is always around 200 F (which is the middle of the temp gauge) is that the normal with Subaru ?

2 – A Small kick when shifting from R To D + CVT tries to simulate regular gears so hard that sometimes it kicks when accelerating between 20 and 60 mph.

3 – A Small vibration for about 3 minutes when doing a cold start without AC.

4 – RAB and Parting Sensors completely get disabled whenever they get triggered and the only way to reactivate them is by turning the car off then on ( One time I was backing up from the garage and the car gets scared of the car’s shadow, which it triggered the system and immediately disabled RAB and P. There are 2 icons on the backup camera display one for RAB and one for P , in a normal situation without triggering them you will get the option of disabling them by a long press on the icons in infotainment system but I don’t get that option when they are triggered.

5 – Advanced cruise control , A> keeps on beeping every time a car gets in and out of it’s range which is a little annoying if you are driving on a busy highway. B> ACC freaks out when I am following a car and the driver decides to slow down and then take a the right lane or even exit’s the highway, ACC will slow me down and when I m about to pass that car from the left side it apply the break for no reason with no car in front of me . ( I think the system keeps a long track of the car even when it’s not in front of me and thinks that I may collide when I m about to pass it )

6 – Dash speakers grill is out of place from the left side , no matter how many times I try to push it back in.

7 – Infotainment system, A> Whenever I set a destination and comes near an exit it switch the small digital display at the gauge cluster from the speed limit and the current speed to the direction of the of the closest exit. B> I usually play my music from a USB that sorted y folders only , is there is anyway to rearrange the folder tap to be above the songs, artists, and albums taps ? C> It doesn’t recognize special characters like [email protected]#$% , it skips them and starts to sort alphabetically. D> Whenever I switch off the car without opening the door it immediately jumps to the radio station from the usb and doesn’t recognize a plugged in USB. Same behavior happens when starting the car until the usb boots up. I tried switching the radio off in multiple occasions hopping it will remember the settings but in vain.

8 – Power left gate is making a squeaking noise upon opening and closing.

9 – Plastic bumper guard is not aligned.

10 – Driver and passenger seats lumbers are pushed out so much even when you try to adjust them to the lowest setting.

11 – AC blows good amount of air but not the cold air I expected even with the AC temps are low . I ended up 3M Crystalline tint and still AC feels weak.

* Bonus 0:)
I hate the dumb horn and the place where Subaru decided to put it at.

Update 1 - With the dealer replies to my concerns

1 – Oil temperature is always around 200 F (which is the middle of the temp gauge) is that the normal with Subaru ? Normal

2 – A Small kick when shifting from R To D + CVT tries to simulate regular gears so hard that sometimes it kicks when accelerating between 20 and 60 mph. Normal

3 – A Small vibration for about 3 minutes when doing a cold start without AC. Normal

4 – RAB and Parting Sensors completely get disabled whenever they get triggered and the only way to reactivate them is by turning the car off then on ( One time I was backing up from the garage and the car gets scared of the car’s shadow, which it triggered the system and immediately disabled RAB and P. There are 2 icons on the backup camera display one for RAB and one for P , in a normal situation without triggering them you will get the option of disabling them by a long press on the icons in infotainment system but I don’t get that option when they are triggered. Service adviser replicated the issue in front of me and wrote notes about it , but Subaru certified tech could not replicate it . I even asked them to see the logs of the car's computer but in vain , Therefor it didn't happen and it's behaving Normally :)

5 – Advanced cruise control , A> keeps on beeping every time a car gets in and out of it’s range which is a little annoying if you are driving on a busy highway. B> ACC freaks out when I am following a car and the driver decides to slow down and then take a the right lane or even exit’s the highway, ACC will slow me down and when I m about to pass that car from the left side it apply the break for no reason with no car in front of me . ( I think the system keeps a long track of the car even when it’s not in front of me and thinks that I may collide when I m about to pass it ) Normal

6 – Dash speakers grill is out of place from the left side , no matter how many times I try to push it back in. Going to replace the grill , the adhesive problem

7 – Infotainment system, A> Whenever I set a destination and comes near an exit it switch the small digital display at the gauge cluster from the speed limit and the current speed to the direction of the of the closest exit. B> I usually play my music from a USB that sorted y folders only , is there is anyway to rearrange the folder tap to be above the songs, artists, and albums taps ? C> It doesn’t recognize special characters like [email protected]#$% , it skips them and starts to sort alphabetically. D> Whenever I switch off the car without opening the door it immediately jumps to the radio station from the usb and doesn’t recognize a plugged in USB. Same behavior happens when starting the car until the usb boots up. I tried switching the radio off in multiple occasions hopping it will remember the settings but in vain. A= Normal , B = Normal , C = Normal and D = It's a feature because people who owned a 2017 complained. I don't know complained about what but they did :grin2: so D = is Normal

8 – Power left gate is making a squeaking noise upon opening and closing. Can't be replicated

9 – Plastic bumper guard is not aligned. Going to be replaced , people at the factory or the port did not align it probably

10 – Driver and passenger seats lumbers are pushed out so much even when you try to adjust them to the lowest setting. Normal

11 – AC blows good amount of air but not the cold air I expected even with the AC temps are low . I ended up 3M Crystalline tint and still AC feels weak. Normal

12 –Hood is squeaking when it's closed from the passenger side. They tightened/aligned the hood. still getting the noise

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a couple of videos I was trying to post but I'm not allowed to because I'm a new member .

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
Take it to the dealer with your concerns documented AND let them know you posted here.

Have a good attitude and give them an opportunity to fix everything.

My 17 is 100% with me but do notice a few minor issues like gate not PERFECTLY aligned and slight stumble in CVT at low speeds with low throttle. I don't care at all, everything else is good so no dealer visit. It's a good company, hopefully your dealer can satisfy you in each concern. Hang in there, they are mechanical contrivances and none are always 100% all the time.

Reactions: Katsuby

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
216 Posts
I notice some similar things on my 17 2.5. That adaptive cruise control has issues with people slowing down to turn off in front of me. If you apply a bit of accelerator pedal under this condition, the car won't apply the brake.
You can turn off the cruise control lead vehicle acquisition sound under the menu accessible with the steering wheel controls.
My center grille has the same problem popping up in the corner no matter how many times I press it down.
I can't speak too much for the temperatures between the 3.6 and the 2.5, but my oil temps run about 20 degrees warmer than my coolant temp. Coolant runs steady at 200 degrees. My car also kicks slightly when shifting from reverse to drive. I don't have the issue when driving at speed.
My AC has trouble when the outside air temp is at all below the AC setting. No issues though when it is hot out.
A visit to the dealer could probably settle the rest.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all . I will keep this post updated and i will visit my dealer this week

One hour ago i was at the park and was backing up 10 feet away from the closest car behind me RAB slammed the **** out of the break for no reason scared everyone in the car

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
Make sure you letting the transmission engage in Drive after switching from Reverse before applying throttle. If you just switch from R to D and gun it, you will damage the transmission. There is a 1 to 1.5 second delay for the transmission to apply Drive after being in reverse.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
97 Posts
My dash speaker grill is the same. I shut the beeps off on adaptive cruise control using the system menu settings. I also shut off lane control beeps withe the switch on the left bellow the steering wheel, but now have to deal with the yellow warning light always on.
As far as the A/C, press in on the max A/C button when the car is hot and let it bring the temperatures down to the set level. After that the system will shift to Full Auto mode. I did not understand how Max A/C worked and was pushing buttons that would then disable Full Auto mode. Operating as I described my system works great in central N.C. heat and humidity. The 2018 are supposed to have A/C improvements so it should do a great job cooling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

12 Hood is squeaking when it's closed from the passenger side.

I expected all of these observations to happen at 36,000 Miles :frown2:

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R with Eyesight
350 Posts
1 – Oil temperature is always around 200 F (which is the middle of the temp gauge) is that the normal with Subaru ?

Yes. Most cars have a 195 F thermostat these days, so the oil is slightly warmer than that. It will go up more when pushed hard.

Not on the 3.6L H6.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone found a way to permanently turn off RAB ?

I can turn it off by a long press while reversing but goes back to default as soon as i put the car into Drive

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
924 Posts
Horn placement on my '17 just sucks IMO.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
924 Posts
any suggestions for a better one ? plug and play
It's not rocket science.

Put it where you can reach a / the button easily without completely removing hand from Wheel and having to reach and slam the center horn button.

Numerous cars I've driven had such setups, it's not exotic, just ergonomics (safety) 101.

Hope that helps!

:cool:

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
It's not rocket science.

Put it where you can reach a / the button easily without completely removing hand from Wheel and having to reach and slam the center horn button.

Numerous cars I've driven had such setups, it's not exotic, just ergonomics (safety) 101.

Hope that helps!

:cool:

Who has just a button for the horn? I have been in a lot of different makes and models of cars and every one of them used the entire center of the wheel as the horn button as in a panic it is easier to hit a large 7" button than some small button located who knows where. Maybe you should go looking for the old Ford steering wheels that had a strip along the entire inside diameter of the wheel where you could just squeeze the wheel.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Who has just a button for the horn? I have been in a lot of different makes and models of cars and every one of them used the entire center of the wheel as the horn button as in a panic it is easier to hit a large 7" button than some small button located who knows where. Maybe you should go looking for the old Ford steering wheels that had a strip along the entire inside diameter of the wheel where you could just squeeze the wheel.
Didn't say "just a [one] button" (although that is what is there now -- "just a button", albeit a large and not particularly well designed one (too small diameter & too tall (due to airbag?) to reach quickly in emergency IMO/ IME).

Audi, Saab, others I've owned have either a more accessible main button (larger, easier to reach with, e.g., a thumb while hands are on the wheel), or a button more easily reached with hands on wheel (no, not the old Ford design :cool:).

Current design is ergonomically lacking, as 1-2 near emergencies have already shown. In real world use the current setup is far from optimal, you must remove hand from wheel and compromise control to sound horn in an emergency maneuver/ situation.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,140 Posts
Those strips s*cked! Many a times had me up in the middle of the night because the horn decided to blow on it's own. :frown2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited 2.5 with about 2500 miles and I can relate to several of your concerns: left edge of speaker grill on dash coming up; seat hurts my back due to lumber support that is too big even at lowest setting; RAB slams on breaks due to flowers on side of driveway (how do you turn that off?!); radio blasts when I start and stop car (when carplay goes off and before it starts up).

And I'll add one more concern: Road noise. I took on faith the Subaru press release that described all the changes to reduce road noise. From 20-80 mph I find it significant. I then replaced the tires after 900 miles with Michelin Premier A/S and I don't detect any difference!

Eager to see any independent (expert) reviews of the 2018 Outback and I can't figure out why there haven't been any yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited 2.5 with about 2500 miles and I can relate to several of your concerns: left edge of speaker grill on dash coming up; seat hurts my back due to lumber support that is too big even at lowest setting; RAB slams on brakes due to flowers on side of driveway (how do you turn that off?!); radio blasts when I turn off and turn on car (when carplay goes off and before it comes on).

And I'll add one more concern: Road noise. I took on faith the Subaru press release that described all the changes to reduce road noise. From 20-80 mph I find it significant. I then replaced the tires after 900 miles with Michelin Premier A/S and I don't detect any difference!

I am eager to read any independent (expert) reviews of the 2018 Outback (based on actually driving the car), and I can't understand why there haven't been any yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
Hi, This is my first Subaru first post :), I have been driving the 2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R for almost a week and been noticing a couple of observations and would love to get the support from this great forum . Before I start I didn’t add up anything to the car apart from the 3M Crystalline tint yesterday and all of the observations happened before the tint. I emailed Subaru about 3 issues 4 days ago and didn’t get a response until now.

2 – A Small kick when shifting from R To D + CVT tries to simulate regular gears so hard that sometimes it kicks when accelerating between 20 and 60 mph.

4 – RAB and Parting Sensors completely get disabled whenever they get triggered and the only way to reactivate them is by turning the car off then on ( One time I was backing up from the garage and the car gets scared of the car’s shadow, which it triggered the system and immediately disabled RAB and P. There are 2 icons on the backup camera display one for RAB and one for P , in a normal situation without triggering them you will get the option of disabling them by a long press on the icons in infotainment system but I don’t get that option when they are triggered.

5 – Advanced cruise control , A> keeps on beeping every time a car gets in and out of it’s range which is a little annoying if you are driving on a busy highway. B> ACC freaks out when I am following a car and the driver decides to slow down and then take a the right lane or even exit’s the highway, ACC will slow me down and when I m about to pass that car from the left side it apply the break for no reason with no car in front of me . ( I think the system keeps a long track of the car even when it’s not in front of me and thinks that I may collide when I m about to pass it )
Unfortunately a system limitation. Mine does this too. Even though you know you aren't in the path of travel for that car, the car "determines" it is.

6 – Dash speakers grill is out of place from the left side , no matter how many times I try to push it back in.

7 – Infotainment system, A> Whenever I set a destination and comes near an exit it switch the small digital display at the gauge cluster from the speed limit and the current speed to the direction of the of the closest exit. B> I usually play my music from a USB that sorted y folders only , is there is anyway to rearrange the folder tap to be above the songs, artists, and albums taps ? C> It doesn’t recognize special characters like [email protected]#$% , it skips them and starts to sort alphabetically. D> Whenever I switch off the car without opening the door it immediately jumps to the radio station from the usb and doesn’t recognize a plugged in USB. Same behavior happens when starting the car until the usb boots up. I tried switching the radio off in multiple occasions hopping it will remember the settings but in vain.

8 – Power left gate is making a squeaking noise upon opening and closing.

9 – Plastic bumper guard is not aligned.
They should fix this. It was clearly placed on incorrectly at the port or by the dealer.

10 – Driver and passenger seats lumbers are pushed out so much even when you try to adjust them to the lowest setting.

This has been a problem for a while. There is a "hack" here to fix it by removing a plastic piece from the lumbar.

11 – AC blows good amount of air but not the cold air I expected even with the AC temps are low . I ended up 3M Crystalline tint and still AC feels weak.

Every Subaru I have owned has lacked in the AC department compared to most domestics I have driven. Not much can be done to fix this, unfortunately.

* Bonus 0:)
I hate the dumb horn and the place where Subaru decided to put it at.
See comments in quote.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts