Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here for the past month of my ownership. A ton of great information for which I am grateful. I hope to be able to contribute as time goes on.

Coming back from a long drive and my passenger slid open the inside sunroof shade and we immediately heard the whistling of an air leak. Slowed from 80 down to 60, and still there. It's localized to one area, as I ran my hand around the back until it hit the one spot that 'covered' the noise.

Has anyone else had this? Of course I'm still under warranty, but suspect this will be one of those things that the Dealer will never be able to identify. I'm thinking of doing my first oil change at the dealership and adding this on...unless I'm being too picky?

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
685 Posts
Sunroof is adjustable, and perhaps your dealer will be a little more diligent in response to a complaint than an assembly line worker keeping up with the production tempo. But no sunroof ever seals perfectly, that's why they have drains.
BTW, it took me a while to find an Outback with eyesight and without a sunroof, but held out for just that reason. Did the sunroof adjustment tango on previous BMW....

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,499 Posts
Even without a noisy gasket, shade open at high speeds will be noisy. Add a cross bar and roof rack stuff the sound level is even higher.
Perhaps, but the OP mentions a whistle, which mine doesn't have at speeds up to 80 or so, with or without the crossbars in place, and I recall hearing no prior complaints about same. If there's stuff on the roof rack, all bets are off, but it sounds like there's a problem with his. Something like that would drive me nuts, and is why I bought the vehicle I test drove instead of "one like it".

The shade does reduce some noise, but it's still remarkably quiet with the shade open and glass closed. So quiet that my brother mentioned that it was much quieter than his '07 BMW 3-series wagon's sunroof with the shade open.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Open close it to reset the gasket. Up down tilt also.

There are cases where the rubber gasket between the plastic rack and the roof can vibrate and be very loud. The fix is just putting a pea sized blob of automotive gasket sealer between the rubber gasket and plastic roof rail. Never put house hold silicone on the painted surface of your car body. House hold silicones are acidic and will eat through the paint and promote rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts