Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So randomly my Volume knob changes to some kind of thing to adjust a map sound but doesn't really adjust anything

Then it's either change volume via menu interface or pull over and power cycle car.

Am I missing a special button or something? It's a premium so no factory GPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
336 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From NASIOC, haven't tried yet:

"Switch from WAZE to GOOGLE MAPS. Use mic to enter desination by voice. Wait for voice prompt/response from Google assistant. Adjust volume. VOLUME ADJUSTS and SYSTEM RELEASED CONTROL."

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
9 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback 2.5i limited without eyesight (no built in navigation system) and I reported this issue to Subaru and have my car in with the dealership about it (and other problems) now. All I do is plug my phone in via the USB connection - phone is Bluetooth and android auto paired. The phone auto sync's and that's it.....I do nothing else. Volume nob/ steering wheel controls are stuck in map volume and my radio volume is decreased as though the map voice directions are saying something - but they aren't. And control for the radio never returns.

I haven't found a consistent fix. Sometimes saying "ok google" and asking for the weather or such will fix it. Other times is makes the situation worse by forcing all audio through some other speaker (not the main speakers). Unplugging the phone does nothing. Turning the car off and opening the door to turn the system completely off does nothing. Trying the previous while having phone unplugged, does nothing. I've run a Pixel and Pixel 3 in the car with same problems. OS is Pie and android auto is updated. Car indicates all software is up to date.....

I'll let you know what the dealership comes back with. When I called Subaru HQ they seemed concerned when I let them know this has happened in multiple Vehicles - I've had several loaner cars over the past month and the map audio problem has happened in all of them.

·
Premium Member
2021 Outback Touring XT
202 Posts
Any updates on this? I have seen this twice now in my 2019 after a 16 hour driving trip using Android Auto. I turned the car off and after it sit while I had dinner it went back to working. The second time my wife looked up while I drove and she found some article, maybe the reddit one, that said if someone text's you it releases it. She texted my phone and it released the lock the navigation had on it. It happened with me using Google maps as I have been using that since they added in speed limits. The first time it happened it happened out of the blue mid-trip with a destination entered. Can't remember the second time if there was a destination set. In either case, next time I will try to use voice command to change navigation end point or something to release it easier next time. Another thing I read may help release it is a full restart of the sytem by holding in the power button for 10 seconds. I'll try that as well. Definitely curious on others seeing this or what others have heard. Hitting the infrawebs it seems that different years are all seeing this. Not sure if this is any precursor to the 2018 head unit black out issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys.

I have the same issue and found a quick fix. It does not repair the problem but it gets the radio working again.

I hold power button on the radio for about 10 seconds. After few seconds, radio screen will turn black, then after another few seconds screen does like a reset and subaru starlink logo appears. Simply press power to turn screen back on. Works for me every time.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts