Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched Gen 5 area for an answer, nothing seems to match; now I'm asking a question.

I've got a 2019 Limited, had it for a year/17K miles. I've never had a car with Auto Climate, our others have been Premiums with manual climate systems.
It's 30 degrees outside, car sitting in the cold overnight and I have the temp set to HI and I press Auto. The fan comes on full speed blowing cold air. It says 'FULL AUTO' defrost vent is on and A/C is on.

Shouldn't the fan ramp up as the engine temp warms? I have to manually lower the fan speed and this removes the AUTO function. The manual says little about Auto Climate system. I've never really tested this on my loaners, I figured they all worked that way until I rode in a friend's new RAV4 and it worked as I would expect.

Can anyone tell me what should happen? I need to set up an appt. for my still rattling center A/C outlet and I want this fixed if it is not working properly.

TIA

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
84 Posts
I would just leave the temp set to 68 or whatever temperature you normally have it set at. I think that will give you the ramp up fan feature, but I didn't even know you could set the temp to high--I've never turned it above 72.

I'm not sure though because I don't leave it on full auto because I like controlling the fan speed and whether the AC is on or off. I hate auto climate controls, but the Subaru is my wife's car. If it was mine I'd be searching for a thread on whether you can replace the auto control panel with the manual control panel.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
81 Posts
Well, it is normal for the AC to be involved for the defrost so it is blowing dry air on the windshield. Very important if you have Eyesight for the glass to be fog free. Did you hit the defrost button? On my 2018 I have to select the defrost to get it blowing full fan. When in Auto mode without the Defrost button it will still show blowing on the windshield, but doesn't hit the full fan speed.

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Limited, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
7 Posts
I would just leave the temp set to 68 or whatever temperature you normally have it set at. I think that will give you the ramp up fan feature, but I didn't even know you could set the temp to high--I've never turned it above 72.

I'm not sure though because I don't leave it on full auto because I like controlling the fan speed and whether the AC is on or off. I hate auto climate controls, but the Subaru is my wife's car. If it was mine I'd be searching for a thread on whether you can replace the auto control panel with the manual control panel.
I usually have mine set to 68. The other day, I turned it down to Lo, because I wanted some cool air in the cabin. The fan went to high speed. So it appears that Hi and Lo will override the fan controls in Auto mode.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,632 Posts
Shouldn't the fan ramp up as the engine temp warms?
That is normal behavior with the climate control in "FULL AUTO," the temperature set to a reasonable value (e.g. 70-80), and Defrost = OFF. With Defrost = ON the fan will be commanded to Max/High.

... the full auto system turn on AC in many conditions when the vents are not venting to the dash.
I don't think you understand how the Outback AC actually works. The AC uses a variable-displacement compressor, and "AC on" actually means simply "AC enabled." "AC on" doesn't mean that it's actually cooling (i.e. the compressor displacement may be zero = no cooling). "AC off" just commands the compressor to the zero-displacement position; the compressor rotor continues to turn.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
84 Posts
I don't think you understand how the Outback AC actually works. The AC uses a variable-displacement compressor, and "AC on" actually means simply "AC enabled." "AC on" doesn't mean that it's actually cooling (i.e. the compressor displacement may be zero = no cooling).
My concern is knowing it is not running. So for example, I do not want it runningwhen I am about to park the vehicle--I want the system dried out. I always turn AC off several blocks from my house.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
84 Posts
That's because the HVAC is using the A/C to dehumidify the air....
Yes, I know that. I will typically just turn AC on if my windows start to fog up rather than hitting the defrost button on a vehicle. That clears all the windows and you don't need to change the vent settings from where you want them. I've done that for over 30 years, long before systems started turning on AC whenever you hit defrost.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I searched Gen 5 area for an answer, nothing seems to match; now I'm asking a question.

I've got a 2019 Limited, had it for a year/17K miles. I've never had a car with Auto Climate, our others have been Premiums with manual climate systems.
It's 30 degrees outside, car sitting in the cold overnight and I have the temp set to HI and I press Auto. The fan comes on full speed blowing cold air. It says 'FULL AUTO' defrost vent is on and A/C is on.

Shouldn't the fan ramp up as the engine temp warms? I have to manually lower the fan speed and this removes the AUTO function. The manual says little about Auto Climate system. I've never really tested this on my loaners, I figured they all worked that way until I rode in a friend's new RAV4 and it worked as I would expect.

Can anyone tell me what should happen? I need to set up an appt. for my still rattling center A/C outlet and I want this fixed if it is not working properly.

TIA
the max AC setting will do that for the fans. Make sure that isn't set.

I either leave mine in full auto or auto (mainly just disable the AC function, which can still work for some things as needed). With the temps set somewhere reasonable in winter, the fan comes on low with defrost, then when the car is warm enough the vents change and the fan speed kicks up.

could be if the temp is set at MAX (as others have pointed out). I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
166 Posts
It took me awhile to understand that when in AUTO, the display indicates all the features that is under it's control, including the AC. Meaning that when it feels it's necessary it will turn on/off the AC, which includes using it as a dehumidifier (which does help).

For what it's worth. I just push the AUTO button, and set the desired temp (80F for me). When starting out on a cold morning the fan speed is on low, and as the engine warms up, the fan slowly ramps up. The system will turn on the AC and direct the cold air onto the inside of the windshield, just to make sure there is no condensation or fogging. Yes, it sucks when it's cold out. But since I have the heated seat option, I just turn that on.

This is my first vehicle to have automatic climate control and now that I have accepted to just let it do it's thing, and I just set the desired interior temperature, and just set and forget. I'm in an area that can be cold enough in the morning for heat, and by afternoon need AC. Now I don't have to go hitting various buttons, and such.

The only thing I have to do, when necessary is turn on the front/rear deicer (which for me is practically never).

Over all, I really like it.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,632 Posts
This is my first vehicle to have automatic climate control and now that I have accepted to just let it do it's thing, and I just set the desired interior temperature, and just set and forget.
Yep ... That usually works really well in my experience. But some people feel the need to constantly be adjusting their environment. Many of them are also compulsive "thermostat adjusters."

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
84 Posts
Yep ... That usually works really well in my experience. But some people feel the need to constantly be adjusting their environment. Many of them are also compulsive "thermostat adjusters."
Actually it probably depends more on how the person who programmed the auto climate matches the user. On my manual system on my truck I really don't touch it all that often, although in the winter it's a bit more than summer. But if the Subaru is on full auto it's doing all sorts of things I would never do.

I analogize it to giving a passenger full control over the heating/cooling system. Edit: That would work well if that passenger thinks the same way you do, but you would hate if if they don't. That's Full Auto for me. I hate it.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,369 Posts
The only time full auto seems to work well is on longer drives. Otherwise I want air moving immediately, not waiting until a certain coolant temp is reached. Moving the air right away keeps the interior air drier. Otherwise the moisture in the air from breathing can quickly start to fog up the windows in some conditions. On longer drives it isn't a big issue because eventually the interior air will dry out, but with shorter trips you start getting moisture buildup in the car which can then result in condensation on the inside of the glass in the morning or frost if it is cold enough. I don't care much what others do. I just do what works best for me. I'm kind of narcissistic that way. 😄

·
Registered
62 Posts

TIA
In my 2019, the heating system doesn't provide warm air until the engine has warmed up. In auto, there is siimply nothing going on whlle the engine is cold. When the engine warms, the system begins delivering warm air. I'm told it is designed that way for reasons of pollution control.

·
Registered
234 Posts
In my 2019, the heating system doesn't provide warm air until the engine has warmed up. In auto, there is siimply nothing going on whlle the engine is cold. When the engine warms, the system begins delivering warm air. I'm told it is designed that way for reasons of pollution control.
The heater supplies air heated by the engine.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
84 Posts
I don't leave it on full auto much, but it would make sense that the fan wouldn't increase in speed greatly until the coolant temp warms up. Otherwise it would just be blowing a lot of cold air around, which would be uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
383 Posts
I basically keep my 2019 OB Ltd set on full auto year round at 68-72F. On cold mornings, as the engine warms up, the fan ramps up. Usually after about 10-15 mins of driving, the cabin is toasty and comfortable. The heated seats on full and the car warms quickly for me. Same in summer when we need AC. Cabin cools down well after a few minutes of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts