Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently updated my Harmon Kardon Head Unit (2019 3.6R Limited) to the latest version, 19.25.70 which includes navigation database North America_2017.03_7006_28/12545/272294/18208. Afterwards, I did a manual check for updated GPS maps via the Navigation Setting screen in the head unit. First connected the head unit to Wifi, then I checked for updates. I was notified that a 500+ MB update was available for California. Downloaded the update, took forever since my wifi is inside and I only got 2 antenna bars of signal. Someone on here mentioned using their phone as a hotspot, which I did, and got the download much quicker. Installed that update, and now my Navigation database is North America_2017.03_6401_28/12545/272294/18208. Looks like it downloaded an OLDER version than what came on the USB update.

I am wondering if anyone else has done this and can confirm results?

In summary, it looks like the USB update has a newer Navigation Map Database than what can be downloaded OTA via Wifi.

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
I noticed the same thing. The way Harman applies updates to the installed map isn’t an overlay or a layer.... so it’s hard to say what they might do to the Navi database version when you run a WiFi update to individual map regions.

I’ve had it display goofy stuff.... updated more than 16 regions on the prior firmware, this is what it displayed with the same updates I applied yesterday.... currently I don’t have the not installed displayed.

It could also be true that the firmware database was put together with whatever maps, and the build number is later, but the map data is older.

Or it could be true that the firmware maps data is newer, along with the Navi database build version.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
225 Posts
Would be nice to find out if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
Poor update process if the OTA update doesn't know what the USB update installed.
Wonder if the version number displayed is dependent on the states that get updated.
I did Washington and the version number stayed the same.
Vehicle Car Technology Luxury vehicle Electronics

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6 Touring, for my lovely wife.
41 Posts
As a new outback owner who just picked up a 2019 3.6 Touring, how does one do this update or is it automatic? Or do I even need to do it?
thanks

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,399 Posts
Assuming you have a WiFi access point in your house, on your Head unit, go into Settings and connect to your WiFi router. Then check for updates. It's that simple.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
Assuming you have a WiFi access point in your house, on your Head unit, go into Settings and connect to your WiFi router. Then check for updates. It's that simple.
Yeah! What HE said!

The other updates will be the map regions. A region is just a state... so you can update the maps separate from the firmware - get all the latest whatever information it has. The map regions are slow to download and update for whatever reason.

Both are under settings - the update for the head unit firmware I think is under general, where the map region updates should be under the map/navigation settings tab.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Both are under settings - the update for the head unit firmware I think is under general, where the map region updates should be under the map/navigation settings tab.
No one seems to know the answer to your question... the dealers don't know, SOA doesn't answer, and customers don't know. The update process over WiFi is pathetically slow and if you cancel it, frustrated by it's taking forever to download, you get a blank screen. Subaru promised 3 years of free updates when purchasing the car, but it's got the absolutely worst way to get your updates. This has been the case for years now. I can only gather that SOA doesn't really give a ****.

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
No one seems to know the answer to your question... the dealers don't know, SOA doesn't answer, and customers don't know. The update process over WiFi is pathetically slow and if you cancel it, frustrated by it's taking forever to download, you get a blank screen. Subaru promised 3 years of free updates when purchasing the car, but it's got the absolutely worst way to get your updates. This has been the case for years now. I can only gather that SOA doesn't really give a ****.
I said "I think" because I was too lazy to go out and look up the exact tab name on that screen, the point was that there is a firmware update selection and a map update selection, and they are different things.

So - to be more specific:

As a new outback owner who just picked up a 2019 3.6 Touring, how does one do this update or is it automatic? Or do I even need to do it?
thanks
With the purchase of the new vehicle (2019 with navigation) you get 3 years of free map updates. After that you have to pay for map updates.

When performing the over the air update for the map files, the time needed varies and can take a while... depends on how many regions (states) you update. The update can be automatic or it can be manual. By default, automatic updates are turned off, so it's manual.

Now - here are the screens shown in Settings, to be more precise than what I had recalled from memory. On the left is the check for update for the FIRMWARE under the General tab (see there on the left of the picture). We don't want that, it's a separate topic. We want maps - that's under the Navigation tab.

There are two selections that are relevant to updating the map regions. The selection "Map Update Information" is simply a screen that spits out a long code. You would use this to purchase authorization to update map regions after your 3 year free update subscription has expired. Right now, you don't need it.

The other selection under Navigation is Map Update... select that and follow the prompts (see the screenshots from the manual below). As others have said, it takes a while. Even if the WiFi router/hotspot is right next to the car. I set aside an hour or so to update 8 regions initially. If the download isn't finished, and you need to go somewhere, that's ok, it will resume later from where it left off... BUT, the navigation map may be unavailable for the region in process of updating (That's expected behavior and is listed in your navigation manual).

After you've made selections for map regions, you could set them to automatic... I don't automatically update map regions, I only check the maps manually periodically (only twice this year in fact).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what exactly is the difference between the OTA updates and the one that we get when we download onto a USB drive from the Map Updater app on the computer?

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
The FOTA update is the head unit firmware only, no maps included. With the Map Updater app, you get all the navigation database stuff, plus any firmware updates for the head unit.

Also, the FOTA is only available to some versions of the head unit (base and base+ can't be updated via FOTA).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts