Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some helpful information. There is a voluntary recall campaign going on - here are some details (I should be doing other things, this is my way of procrastinating)

What is it and what's the risk?
The affected vehicles may be equipped with a low pressure fuel pump produced during a specific timeframe which includes an impeller that was manufactured with a lower density. If the surface of the lower density impeller is exposed to solvent drying for longer periods of time, it may develop fine cracks. Those cracks may lead to excessive fuel absorption, resulting in impeller deformation. Over time, the impeller may become deformed enough to interfere with the body of the fuel pump, potentially causing the low pressure fuel pump to become inoperative. If the low pressure fuel pump becomes inoperative, the check engine warning light or malfunction indicator light may illuminate, and/or the engine may run rough. In the worst case, an inoperative fuel pump may result in the engine stalling without the ability to restart the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash​

(source: WRD-20 Manufacturer's Notices)

Is my vehicle affected?

maybe.
  • The Service campaign is applicable to 2019MY Legacy and Outback 2.5 and 3.6L, 2019MY Impreza, and 2019MY Ascent.
  • The VIN range hasn't been published, and it may not be all VINs within a specific manufacturing date with the affected part.
  • If a car is brought in for service, the VIN must be checked on subarunet for coverage.
  • Use this link to check for any open recalls
  • You can always use the MySubaru website to check on your vehicle to see if it is listed as covered under this recall. It may take a while to update as notifications to owners aren't due to begin until June 05. Login Here if you have a MySubaru account (also a good time to review your contact email settings)
The potential range of affected 2019 Outbacks is as follows:
The recall population includes certain 2019 model year Outback vehicles (both 2.5L and 3.6L models).​
The number of potentially affected Outback vehicles is 86,278.​
Production Dates : JUN 29, 2018 - FEB 19, 2019​
VIN Range 1 : Begin : NR* End : NR*​
*Not Reported​

Date Range of Vehicles Listed in the Report:
2019 Ascent​
June 26, 2018 - January 18,2019​
40,950 units​
2019 Impreza​
June 18, 2018 – February 25, 2019​
40,797 units​
2019 Legacy​
June 29, 2018 – February 19, 2019​
20,182 units​
2019 Outback​
June 29, 2018 – February 19, 2019​
86,278 units​
(sources: WRD-20 Manufacturer's Notices,Part 573 Safety Recall Report 20V-218 )

Will I Get Notified?

Yes. The notifications to the dealers began on or about April 17, 2020.
Owner notification begins on Jun 05, 2020. This notification is through first class mail.
Email is possible, if you have an account and have your car and contact information updated at MySubaru.

How are affected units determined by Subaru?
The basis for how the recall population was determined: Potentially affected vehicles were identified using vehicle production records and supplier part production records.​
How the recalled products differ from products that were not included in the recall: Included in this recall are vehicles potentially equipped with a low pressure fuel pump​
manufactured between April 2018 and July 2018 which may have an impeller produced under both conditions, lower density and exposure to solvent drying for longer periods of time.​
Timeline of discovery:
July 2019 – January 2020 – Subaru received 32 field reports of which 24 indicated an engine no-start condition only. The remaining 8 reports indicated an engine loss of power either immediately after start or while driving at low speeds.​
January 2020 – March 2020 - In January 2020, Subaru received a Technical Report from a foreign market alleging an engine loss of power while operating at highway speeds. Subaru collected the parts for additional inspection. From the part investigation, Subaru found that the impeller was deformed and was likely the cause of the loss of power.​
April 9, 2020 – Subaru has identified, using best engineering judgement, 33 unique dealer and non-dealer field reports, 245 warranty claims indicating fuel pump replacement (excluding abnormal noise claims), and 1 VOQ. Subaru is not aware of any crashes or injuries that have occurred as a result of this condition. Although most cases appear to result in an inability to start the engine, out of an abundance of caution, Subaru decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall​

(source: Part 573 Safety Recall Report 20V-218)

What's Involved in the Remediation?

For the "stop sale" units (new cars on dealer lots which haven't been sold - total of 44) they get brand new fuel pumps from existing known good stock.

For all other affected vehicles, a fuel pump kit is ordered. It contains a low pressure pump and the replacements for some one time use seals and fasteners.
  • The fuel pump assembly is removed from the fuel tank.
  • It is disassembled and the old low pressure pump is removed.
  • The new low pressure pump from the kit is installed into the assembly.
  • The assembly is then reinstalled into the fuel tank.
The labor is listed as 0.9 hours for the work, and additional 0.2 hours if the fuel tank needs to be drained to the 2/3 mark.

(source: WRD-20 Product Campaign Bulletin)

Referenced Documents attached. The product campaign bulletin (WRD-20) is the special type of Technical Service Bulletin that has all the details of the repairs for service department use.

UPDATE May 07, 2020 - attached the revised WRD-20R product campaign bulletin

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
So I assume Subaru changed part suppliers?

Interesting that it only affects one year

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
stuck this thread at the top of the Gen5 section.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
So I assume Subaru changed part suppliers?

Interesting that it only affects one year
From a different article:

The supplier, Denso International America located in Michigan, used the defective “low pressure” fuel pump prior to July 2019, and began using the fuel pump with filter, with a higher density impeller after that date. Subaru estimates about 4 percent of the models are affected.
So the pump supplier (Denso) seems to be still the same, but using a higher density impeller. Sure does seem strange. It could be that the supplier of the plastic pellets used to make the impellers did not meet specifications, or that whoever manufactured the impellers for Denso had a production issue.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the pump supplier (Denso) seems to be still the same, but using a higher density impeller. Sure does seem strange. It could be that the supplier of the plastic pellets used to make the impellers did not meet specifications, or that whoever manufactured the impellers for Denso had a production issue.
It looks that way. The safety recall report had this to say:

"Certain impeller production lots may have a lower impeller density. If the
surface of the lower density impeller is exposed to solvent drying for longer
periods of time, it may develop fine cracks. Low pressure fuel pumps
manufactured between April 2018 and July 2018 may have an impeller
produced under both conditions, lower density and exposure to solvent drying
for longer periods of time."​

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R
39 Posts
Was at my dealer yesterday. I was told it is only the 3.6 engines, which I have. However no parts are available yet. I was told just to check at my next service, which will be another 3500, at my next oil change

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,781 Posts
Was at my dealer yesterday. I was told it is only the 3.6 engines ...
Given the number of vehicles and variety of MY 2019 models known to be affected, that is almost certainly bogus. (3.6 Ascent? 3.6 Impreza? ~80,000 3.6 Outbacks? ~20,000 3.6 Legacys?)

·
Registered
'19 Outback Premium; EcoHitch, 19mm RSB, & Orsini vinyl design (see avatar)
70 Posts
It is complete BS. I looked up my VIN on Subaru's recall page. My 2.5i is included.

Unfortunately it's really hit & miss with knowledgeable people at the dealership. Far too many are yahoos who think every customer is an idiot who will just lap up everything if it's said with a confidant demeanor while wearing a Subaru employee badge.

Moral of the 'story'....VERIFY.

Click here to go to the recall page & verify your VIN/status for yourself.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kits were shipped to the dealers for the CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) and SSLP (Subaru Service Loaner Program) cars affected. So the first ones to be fixed are the ones on the lot (originally listed as 44 units) with brand new in stock complete parts, and now the CPO and SSLP vehicles with kits that have been shipped to the dealers.

Again - owner notification should begin on June 05, 2020 (postal first class mail, maybe an email if they are going to do that too, but that wasn't explicitly listed like the first class mail notification).

The link that kcy posted above can check your VIN (although the dealer should verify that when you schedule a repair)

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Crystal White Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
26 Posts
I took my car ('19 OB 3.6R) in for service today. Doubting that they had any of the parts in stock, I kind of half-mentioned it. My dealership ended up checking the VIN, and my car was listed.

Presumably, ended up being the guinea-pig, as they had 1-2 replacements available. I gave them the go-ahead, and it took about 2-2.5 hours.

I will say, I did not notice anything wrong with the fuel system before, but glad I got it out of the way. Go ask.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was called by my dealer a week ago... they notified me of the upcoming recall and that I could schedule a fix now if I wanted to do so... they just needed a 2 week advance notice to order the parts. That should be this coming wednesday.

I haven't seen any emails (my email is listed in the MySubaru site for notifications about recalls and campaign bulletins).. but, my guess is that any email notifications will go out when the physical notices are mailed (still scheduled for June 05, 2020).

Updated WRD-20R information:

there is another update to the campaign bulletin for this, here is the relevant useful information from those edits (changes in bold):

"The status of this recall will display as “Open - Limited Parts Available” prior to owner notification.

SERVICE, PARTS, AND CLAIM INSTRUCTIONS:
There is currently a limited supply of parts available to support repairs if affected vehicles are
presented for other services prior to owner notification. The status of this recall has changed to
“Open – Limited Parts Available” to allow repairs to begin if affected vehicles are presented for other
services prior to owner notification.

Sufficient remedy parts supply is expected to be available prior to owner notification. The remedy
parts must be ordered through PRIME. Please refer to ‘Recalls & Campaigns/PRIME Max
Quantities’ on Subarunet for the orderable quantities.
"​

and

"OWNER NOTIFICATION:
Subaru will notify affected vehicle owners by first class mail within 60 days. Retailers will be advised
when the notification is scheduled.

Now that sufficient quantities of the Fuel Pump Kits are available, repairs using complete Fuel Pump
Assemblies must be discontinued.
"​

So it looks like there are enough kits available for a repair, and you might be able to schedule one earlier than the official notice, if anyone wants to get in there earlier... might be worth a call to your preferred service department

point in time copy is attached ... WRD-20R; revised: 05/07/20

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
78 Posts
Got my friend's 2019 (stored at my place while he lives in New Zealand) scheduled. I called for oil change and asked about a fuel pump recall. They can do it, have parts but was not aware how long it will take. Will I be a guinea pig or is it pretty straight forward procedure? Looking up Gen 3 possible fuel pump swap it looked simple so I would imagine Gen 5 should be too. Walker thanks for pointing TSB above - I will call back and ask about that too.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It’s pretty easy compared to some things. The campaign bulletin has steps and pictures, so if they look at that it’s not hard to do... should be fine.

I just mentioned the TSB problem when I brought the car in... they always ask what I am there for and if everything else is ok with the car... I just explained the auto lock problem from the TSB... “if the auto lock locks the door, and any door other than the drivers is manually unlocked, then the auto lock won’t unlock the car”. I didn’t mention the TSB number, they found it on their own (although having it handy if they can’t find it might help).

when I was there today I wasn’t the only one in for the recall repair (since they had been calling people to schedule them prior to the general notification).. my guess is they have an idea of how many 2019 cars are affected that they sold and are trying to get some in before the letters get mailed. The service consultant was aware of the recall and that there are limited parts available... he wanted to make sure I had an appointment scheduled for this because of the parts availability... so either he pays attention to internal communications, or there has been more than one or two come in already.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts