Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R - 20 mm sway bar
1 Posts
Got my letter over the weekend and scheduled my appointment for next Friday. The dealer requested leaving the car for about 4 hours since it is taking longer than the 1 hour 10 minutes in the letter. Another point is that they requested that I arrive with the tank no more than half full and the closer to empty the better.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got my letter over the weekend and scheduled my appointment for next Friday. The dealer requested leaving the car for about 4 hours since it is taking longer than the 1 hour 10 minutes in the letter. Another point is that they requested that I arrive with the tank no more than half full and the closer to empty the better.
As they do more they may get faster with it... the disassembly and then reassembly of the fuel pump may not be familiar to them... when I had mine, I wasn’t the only one in that day for it, and they had been doing them for a few weeks already.

Also expect a bit of fuel odor when done... takes a bit to air out the interior afterwards.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,879 Posts
They always prefer the flexibility of having the car for longer than they need it. You never know when the tech scheduled to do your job ends up running over on his/her previous job and isn't quite free yet when your appointment time comes around. Say a simple brake pad and rotor change turns into also needing a new caliper or brake lines or whatever. Most of the time they do what they need to do if the customer is waiting but as they say stuff happens. Other than oil changes I try to give them as much time as possible. My dealer has a shuttle service so I like to drop my vehicle off early and let them have it as long as they want.

When I was fixing cars for a living I always hated the times when I felt rushed because someone was waiting for me to finish something. Sometimes it is just part of the job but I do what I can to be flexible.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
314 Posts
I just received my recall notification letter today, time to call the dealer tomorrow ..

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back in May I verified the VIN of my 2019 3.6 Touring on both the SOA website and NHTSA website as part of the recall. Received my formal recall notice a week later by mail. Then I made an appointment with my dealer (who has been superb over the years). After I dropped off the vehicle, I received a call from the service tech. She told me that my VIN was not listed on their SubaruNet service website as part of the recall so they could not do the work. I asked to be transferred to the service manager. I emailed him the recall notice letter along with PDFs of the NHTSA and SOA web pages with my VIN listed as part of the recall. He said he would look into it. Four hours later the work was complete. The dealer told me that another Outback owner that day had the same issue. So if you have a recall letter in hand, insist that the work be done. My guess is that SOA's databases are a bit out of whack.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Back in May I verified the VIN of my 2019 3.6 Touring on both the SOA website and NHTSA website as part of the recall. Received my formal recall notice a week later by mail. Then I made an appointment with my dealer (who has been superb over the years). After I dropped off the vehicle, I received a call from the service tech. She told me that my VIN was not listed on their SubaruNet service website as part of the recall so they could not do the work. I asked to be transferred to the service manager. I emailed him the recall notice letter along with PDFs of the NHTSA and SOA web pages with my VIN listed as part of the recall. He said he would look into it. Four hours later the work was complete. The dealer told me that another Outback owner that day had the same issue. So if you have a recall letter in hand, insist that the work be done. My guess is that SOA's databases are a bit out of whack.
good to know! The instructions in the product campaign bulletin insist that the VIN must be checked and verified in order to perform the work.... good thing you had that documentation.

It's probably the same system that tracks service records on the MySubaru site. 😄

Although I will say my recent oil change showed up within two days. I've had it take over six months to show up in the past.
yeah, no kidding. The recall information for my car didn't show up on the MySubaru site as needing anything until after I had it done... and even then it showed it was "incomplete". The dealer had called me to let me know that I needed it done before it showed up on either MySubaru or even the VIN recall verification link posted earlier. These systems certainly don't like to get along.

Took a few weeks for the MySubaru thing to show the work was already done. The VIN lookup thing eventually showed completed and was back dated with the completion date.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
908 Posts
Called Moonday for appointment and my dealer tells me pumps are on "backorder".
Brilliant!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this done yesterday and now every 10 or so starts it cranks around 15 times prior to starting. Never did that before the work. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I had this done yesterday and now every 10 or so starts it cranks around 15 times prior to starting. Never did that before the work. Has anyone else experienced this?
not so far. There are several warnings in the procedure for the fuel pump disassembly... one references the fuel pressure regulator (although that is simply "don't disassemble farther than this, so don't remove the pressure regulator"). Several things can go wrong.... new part is bad, damage to various fuel line couplings (get air in the line), damage to parts within the fuel pump assembly. Call the dealer back - let them know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the info. I let the dealer know about the issue. It is behaving as if some air got in the fuel line so I am going to wait a few more days to see if it clears out. If it's still doing the same thing next week I'll have to take it back in. (ughhh)
I'll update you either way next week.

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
192 Posts
Had mine done today. Gave it them with an 1/8 of a tank. Told them "Take your time, I'm in no hurry." The tech wrote "Thank you for a low tank" on a note. Yes the car did have a slight odor of gasoline, but 15 minutes of driving on the freeway with the windows down took care of it. I've worked on fuel tanks and I know it's difficult if not impossible to not have an odor after. No big deal.

Got the ECU updated, and a new rear wiper blade.

Asked to check the drivers side riew view mirror to see if it was one of the ones that wasn't assembled right (doesn't go out far enough IMHO). Nope, it's good. I guess I'll spend time futz'n with it later to modify it.

I really like my dealership, been going to them for over 15 years (parts, and when I don't have specific tools needed for a specific repair so I have them do it). They've always been nice, and oddly enough inexpensive on the repairs I couldn't do myself. (Example: front/rear alignment. Heck they were the least expensive out of all the places I called)

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
Asked to check the drivers side riew view mirror to see if it was one of the ones that wasn't assembled right (doesn't go out far enough IMHO). Nope, it's good. I guess I'll spend time futz'n with it later to modify it.
Oh man. You noticed it too? Yeah, I brought my vehicle in not long after purchase and told them I could not set my mirror up per well established practice of leaning your head against the driver window glass and angling it out until the edge of the car disappears.

That day, I happened to demo this to the Regional Service Representative, and he indicated it was working fine. I told him my 2019 Outback was THE ONLY vehicle I've ever driven where the mirror range of travel was too small to truly minimize my blind spot. I even showed him a printout of a 2017 Tech Bulletin discussing the problem in another model and how to solve it.

What did I receive for bringing it to the attention of the Dealership Service Manager and the Regional Service Rep? Nothing. But interestingly, he took the tech bulletin document and told me there was nothing to report and that it was working as designed.

Yeah - trust me, Subaru knows about this. If more people drove with their mirrors truly adjusted per recommendations by Society of Automotive Engineers, AAA and that of many driver's instructions, they'd have fixed it by now. Once you know how to drive with properly angled mirrors, it's a problem that impacts your driving proficiency and safety.

Here is a video on the subject: Setting up your mirrors properly
When I told him, I was taught to position my mirrors for minimizing the blind spot and optimizing the side-views, he indicated he didn't have a problem, and that I had the electronic side vehicle detection. Joy joy. Total denial.

What a shame for the company that is so focused on safety right? I think they'd just rather wave their hands than address the problem. It's so fundamental, yet it's impossible for them to own it and address it. Sad.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,766 Posts
Oh man. You noticed it too? Yeah, I brought my vehicle in not long after purchase and told them I could not set my mirror up per well established practice of leaning your head against the driver window glass and angling it out until the edge of the car disappears.

That day, I happened to demo this to the Regional Service Representative, and he indicated it was working fine. I told him my 2019 Outback was THE ONLY vehicle I've ever driven where the mirror range of travel was too small to truly minimize my blind spot. I even showed him a printout of a 2017 Tech Bulletin discussing the problem in another model and how to solve it.

What did I receive for bringing it to the attention of the Dealership Service Manager and the Regional Service Rep? Nothing. But interestingly, he took the tech bulletin document and told me there was nothing to report and that it was working as designed.

Yeah - trust me, Subaru knows about this. If more people drove with their mirrors truly adjusted per recommendations by Society of Automotive Engineers, AAA and that of many driver's instructions, they'd have fixed it by now. Once you know how to drive with properly angled mirrors, it's a problem that impacts your driving proficiency and safety.

Here is a video on the subject: Setting up your mirrors properly
When I told him, I was taught to position my mirrors for minimizing the blind spot and optimizing the side-views, he indicated he didn't have a problem, and that I had the electronic side vehicle detection. Joy joy. Total denial.

What a shame for the company that is so focused on safety right? I think they'd just rather wave their hands than address the problem. It's so fundamental, yet it's impossible for them to own it and address it. Sad.
I wonder if they are testing drivers in the 6’3” range. Their test drivers could be like 5’7” (average Japanese man height). Then dumb errors like shallow mirror angles get dried into the cement.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
I wonder if they are testing drivers in the 6’3” range. Their test drivers could be like 5’7” (typical Japanese height). Then dumb errors like shallow mirror angles get baked into the cake.
Yep. I thought that too. I'm 5'10". But I learned also not to sit too close to the steering wheel, which I bet many people do. Having had airbags deployed, I know the importance of not being right up on the wheel which is very dangerous. They very well might have used the human factors dimensions from the wrong population designing for the US market.

It's so blatantly obvious. What a quality / safety miss right? I REALLY DID NOT APPRECIATE being talked down by the regional rep (on top of that, having the tech bulletin not returned to me). That was inappropriate. He should have championed my report. Hey Subaru, admit the non-conformance and address the SAFETY issue.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,766 Posts
Yep. I thought that too. I'm 5'10". But I learned also not to sit too close to the steering wheel, which I bet many people do. Having had airbags deployed, I know the importance of not being right up on the wheel which is very dangerous. They very well might have used the human factors dimensions from the wrong population designing for the US market.

It's so blatantly obvious. What a quality / safety miss right? I REALLY DID NOT APPRECIATE being talked down by the regional rep (on top of that, having the tech bulletin not returned to me). That was inappropriate. He should have championed my report. Hey Subaru, admit the non-conformance and address the SAFETY issue.
I did not know the proper angle for side mirrors until reading posts on this site. The reps sound ignorant like I was, but they are in the car industry. They should know better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I assume Subaru changed part suppliers?

Interesting that it only affects one year
Some helpful information. There is a voluntary recall campaign going on - here are some details (I should be doing other things, this is my way of procrastinating)

What is it and what's the risk?
The affected vehicles may be equipped with a low pressure fuel pump produced during a specific timeframe which includes an impeller that was manufactured with a lower density. If the surface of the lower density impeller is exposed to solvent drying for longer periods of time, it may develop fine cracks. Those cracks may lead to excessive fuel absorption, resulting in impeller deformation. Over time, the impeller may become deformed enough to interfere with the body of the fuel pump, potentially causing the low pressure fuel pump to become inoperative. If the low pressure fuel pump becomes inoperative, the check engine warning light or malfunction indicator light may illuminate, and/or the engine may run rough. In the worst case, an inoperative fuel pump may result in the engine stalling without the ability to restart the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash​

(source: WRD-20 Manufacturer's Notices)

Is my vehicle affected?

maybe.
  • The Service campaign is applicable to 2019MY Legacy and Outback 2.5 and 3.6L, 2019MY Impreza, and 2019MY Ascent.
  • The VIN range hasn't been published, and it may not be all VINs within a specific manufacturing date with the affected part.
  • If a car is brought in for service, the VIN must be checked on subarunet for coverage.
  • Use this link to check for any open recalls
  • You can always use the MySubaru website to check on your vehicle to see if it is listed as covered under this recall. It may take a while to update as notifications to owners aren't due to begin until June 05. Login Here if you have a MySubaru account (also a good time to review your contact email settings)
The potential range of affected 2019 Outbacks is as follows:
The recall population includes certain 2019 model year Outback vehicles (both 2.5L and 3.6L models).​
The number of potentially affected Outback vehicles is 86,278.​
Production Dates : JUN 29, 2018 - FEB 19, 2019​
VIN Range 1 : Begin : NR* End : NR*​
*Not Reported​

Date Range of Vehicles Listed in the Report:
2019 Ascent​
June 26, 2018 - January 18,2019​
40,950 units​
2019 Impreza​
June 18, 2018 – February 25, 2019​
40,797 units​
2019 Legacy​
June 29, 2018 – February 19, 2019​
20,182 units​
2019 Outback​
June 29, 2018 – February 19, 2019​
86,278 units​
(sources: WRD-20 Manufacturer's Notices,Part 573 Safety Recall Report 20V-218 )

Will I Get Notified?

Yes. The notifications to the dealers began on or about April 17, 2020.
Owner notification begins on Jun 05, 2020. This notification is through first class mail.
Email is possible, if you have an account and have your car and contact information updated at MySubaru.

How are affected units determined by Subaru?
The basis for how the recall population was determined: Potentially affected vehicles were identified using vehicle production records and supplier part production records.​
How the recalled products differ from products that were not included in the recall: Included in this recall are vehicles potentially equipped with a low pressure fuel pump​
manufactured between April 2018 and July 2018 which may have an impeller produced under both conditions, lower density and exposure to solvent drying for longer periods of time.​
Timeline of discovery:
July 2019 – January 2020 – Subaru received 32 field reports of which 24 indicated an engine no-start condition only. The remaining 8 reports indicated an engine loss of power either immediately after start or while driving at low speeds.​
January 2020 – March 2020 - In January 2020, Subaru received a Technical Report from a foreign market alleging an engine loss of power while operating at highway speeds. Subaru collected the parts for additional inspection. From the part investigation, Subaru found that the impeller was deformed and was likely the cause of the loss of power.​
April 9, 2020 – Subaru has identified, using best engineering judgement, 33 unique dealer and non-dealer field reports, 245 warranty claims indicating fuel pump replacement (excluding abnormal noise claims), and 1 VOQ. Subaru is not aware of any crashes or injuries that have occurred as a result of this condition. Although most cases appear to result in an inability to start the engine, out of an abundance of caution, Subaru decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall​

(source: Part 573 Safety Recall Report 20V-218)

What's Involved in the Remediation?

For the "stop sale" units (new cars on dealer lots which haven't been sold - total of 44) they get brand new fuel pumps from existing known good stock.

For all other affected vehicles, a fuel pump kit is ordered. It contains a low pressure pump and the replacements for some one time use seals and fasteners.
  • The fuel pump assembly is removed from the fuel tank.
  • It is disassembled and the old low pressure pump is removed.
  • The new low pressure pump from the kit is installed into the assembly.
  • The assembly is then reinstalled into the fuel tank.
The labor is listed as 0.9 hours for the work, and additional 0.2 hours if the fuel tank needs to be drained to the 2/3 mark.

View attachment 483005

(source: WRD-20 Product Campaign Bulletin)

Referenced Documents attached. The product campaign bulletin (WRD-20) is the special type of Technical Service Bulletin that has all the details of the repairs for service department use.

UPDATE June 04, 2020 - attached the revised WRD-20R product campaign bulletin
UPDATE June 04, 2020 - attached the Owner Notification Letter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update

Notifications (by US mail) were sent out on June 4, 2020. A copy of the letter is attached to this post (and I updated the original post with a copy of the letter as well). The letter has this to say for the length of time for the repair:

"HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE?​
The time required to replace the fuel pump for Impreza, Legacy and Outback vehicles is approximately 1 hour​
and 10 minutes. The time required to replace the fuel pump for Ascent vehicles is approximately 1 hour and​
40 minutes. Your retailer can provide you with a better estimate of the overall time for this service visit, as it​
may be necessary to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time."​

I was in the dealership waiting about an hour and a half (although they told me it might be two and a half hours when I got in there). Go it with half a tank of fuel or less and it will cut down the wait time.

Updated WRD-20R information:

there is another update to the campaign bulletin for this, here is the relevant useful information from those edits within the document (changes in bold):
AFFECTED VEHICLES:​
The status of this recall has been updated to “Open”.​
SERVICE, PARTS, AND CLAIM INSTRUCTIONS:​
Sufficient remedy parts supply is now available.
OWNER NOTIFICATION:​
Subaru will notify affected vehicle owners by first class mail on June 4, 2020. A copy of the owner
letter is shown at the end of this bulletin.
Had the repair done last week. Outback 3 6 had no symptoms. During first attempt, service writer asked if I would bring the car back when I had < 1/2 tank of gas. I agreed, brought the car back, repair was done. I noticed the engine cranked for several seconds before starting. Since then the car has twice gone through the start cycle twice without starting. I plan on calling the dealer to schedule another look.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts