Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2010 & 2019 Outback 3.6R Limited
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been quite a while since we traded our 2010 Outback (OB) 3.6R, but now we're back in the Subaru fold with an 2019 version of the same vehicle.

Very long story [a bit] shorter, I planted the OB into a huge snow/ice bank a few days ago. I was driving down our mountain road when, unbeknownst to me, I discovered that the road hadn't been pretreated [read: which is very unusual here], so, by the time I was slowing down for a right hand curve, it was too late. All the state trooper and AAA drama aside, the driver's side of the OB is presently up on jack stands, awaiting new wheels and tires. While I was removing both of the damaged driver's side wheels (front and rear), I also discovered that the inside of both front tires have worn out prematurely (just over 30K miles).

So...now we're faced with finding two new OEM 5-double-spoke type wheels (P/N: 28111AL16A) and four new tires...before the alignment mess begins. I won't complicate things by going into the wheels too much, but I am interested in hearing for OB people about what they replaced their factory Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS 225/60R18 tires with?

Quite honestly, we like the ride and the performance we've gotten with the factory tires, but 30K miles, once again, seems a bit "soft" to me. With this in mind, it would be ideal to hear from some of the 2019 OB people about which tires they replaced their factory tires with and, more to the point, if they had good luck with their replacement choice.

Thank you for your time and your thoughts ~ Red

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For some reason, I'm not seeing this thread on the Tire Discussion board...so I'm replying to my own thread in an effort to correct this issue? I'm not sure about why this is happening...

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,778 Posts
It might be cheaper to buy four aftermarket wheels than two OEMs. The insides of only the front wearing suggests inadequate or improper rotation or very gross camber. I think Subaru will do one free alignment under warranty, so I’d do that for sure once you’re running again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might be cheaper to buy four aftermarket wheels than two OEMs. The insides of only the front wearing suggests inadequate or improper rotation or very gross camber. I think Subaru will do one free alignment under warranty, so I’d do that for sure once you’re running again.
Daniel..... First, thanks for the thoughtful response. Believe it or not, there our folks out there who refurbish OEM wheels and do it quite well. The max price that I've for a matching OEM wheel, with black contrasting paint between the spokes, is $279.99 each. Regardless, I like to keep my options open, so which aftermarket wheels would you suggest for a 2019 OB 3.6R?

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Touring (Canadian, so Premium I guess?)
99 Posts
I have my summer tires (stock Duellers, haven’t noticed any issues but I’m at 28,000 Kms on a 2018 3.6R so very low miles) on 17” WRX rims, fit fine, no rubbing and I like the look. (Edit: paid about $500cdn for the set of 4)

If you live somewhere that gets snow (which it sounds like you do) I recommend the Blizzak DMV-2 for a dedicated winter tire. I’ve had them on stock 17” rims since my first full winter of ownership, much better than the Duellers, reasonably priced, not too loud, mpg hit isn’t particularly harsh.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have my summer tires (stock Duellers, haven’t noticed any issues but I’m at 28,000 Kms on a 2018 3.6R so very low miles) on 17” WRX rims, fit fine, no rubbing and I like the look. (Edit: paid about $500cdn for the set of 4)

If you live somewhere that gets snow (which it sounds like you do) I recommend the Blizzak DMV-2 for a dedicated winter tire. I’ve had them on stock 17” rims since my first full winter of ownership, much better than the Duellers, reasonably priced, not too loud, mpg hit isn’t particularly harsh.
Dyngwal..... When you say, "...much better than the Duellers...," are you speaking strictly about winter conditions? I've definitely seen the Blizzak name associated with winter tires, but, alas, IDKS about winter tires...and, yeah, I agree that I should know more about them. I understand that they're softer in the cold weather, but how do they fare in the warm months?

As for wheels, we have factory 5-double-spoke (for lack of a better description) wheels that we like. Nevertheless, they're fairly expensive, so your words about your WRX wheels are very intriguing. It seems to me that I've seen various types of Subaru WRX wheels out there, so would you mind elaborating a bit on the wheels you chose? Thanks for the nice post.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
911 Posts
IMO/IME you need winter tires for true winter driving, even in VA I’ve been putting Blizzaks on. In contrast the all weather Bridgestones etc are more like skis 🏄🏻

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMO/IME you need winter tires for true winter driving, even in VA I’ve been putting Blizzaks on. In contrast the all weather Bridgestones etc are more like skis 🏄🏻
FenderTweed..... I like "IME" much more than "IMO," because, as I've heard my whole life, "everybody's got an O." (y)

As I mentioned, IDKS about winter tires. Are they strictly for use in winter conditions? Do they wear much faster in the warm months? The Blizzaks certainly sound interesting, but I need to learn a bit more about how to use them properly before I can consider investing in wheels and/or tires. Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,778 Posts
Daniel..... First, thanks for the thoughtful response. Believe it or not, there our folks out there who refurbish OEM wheels and do it quite well. The max price that I've for a matching OEM wheel, with black contrasting paint between the spokes, is $279.99 each. Regardless, I like to keep my options open, so which aftermarket wheels would you suggest for a 2019 OB 3.6R?
I went to Discount Tire's website and found 55 pages of wheels that will fit your 19 3.6. I only went through the first 11 pages, and everything to that point was less than $150/wheel. I used their website to buy wheels for my truck. The thing I like about Discount Tire, besides their service and price, is their website will actually show how the wheels will look on your car, color and all. I'm pretty sure you'll find something there that you'll like, and probably save money in the process. If there is no Discount Tire store near you, they also have an online service that will ship the wheels to you to install locally. Discount Tire

I usually compare both their sites anyway just to be sure I'm getting the best price. Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
911 Posts
FenderTweed..... I like "IME" much more than "IMO," because, as I've heard my whole life, "everybody's got an O." (y)

As I mentioned, IDKS about winter tires. Are they strictly for use in winter conditions? Do they wear much faster in the warm months? The Blizzaks certainly sound interesting, but I need to learn a bit more about how to use them properly before I can consider investing in wheels and/or tires. Thank you for your thoughts.
yes, best for winter only, there’s a special tread compound and pattern for winter/snow (the primary compound) - the remaining tread (I forget the %) is an all weather compound.

At my rate of using them primarily only late November - late March and ~3,000 miles per winter, they’ll last me 5-6+ winters of the winter tread compound.

You don’t want to run them in non snowy seasons as long as you’re on the original winter compound. 😎

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to Discount Tire's website and found 55 pages of wheels that will fit your 19 3.6. I only went through the first 11 pages, and everything to that point was less than $150/wheel. I used their website to buy wheels for my truck. The thing I like about Discount Tire, besides their service and price, is their website will actually show how the wheels will look on your car, color and all. I'm pretty sure you'll find something there that you'll like, and probably save money in the process. If there is no Discount Tire store near you, they also have an online service that will ship the wheels to you to install locally. Discount Tire

I usually compare both their sites anyway just to be sure I'm getting the best price. Discount Tire Direct
Daniel..... Thank again for the great post. I will definitely check out the two sites you recommended, but I've got a question.... I've been studying the OEM wheel options and, quite frankly, I like the wheels that came from the factory on other OBs in 2019 (other than 3.6R). Specifically, they look like 10-spoke wheels because all of the spokes are the same width (unlike ours). I'll post a photo, if I can figure out how, but the question is why the wheels I'm describing are spec'd differently? Ours are spec's as 5 x 114.3 and the ones that I like, on the other hand, are spec'd as 5 x 115?

They're both supposed to be 2019 OEM Outback wheels, so I'm at a loss. Would Subaru have changed the spindles on different OB models in the same model year?

Here are the wheels that we presently have:

Here are the wheels that I like more:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
58 Posts
If you get snow and ice in the winter, get two sets of wheels one with winter tires, one with all season tires.

It sounds like more money, but you swap them around and essentially get even wear on both sets, and the two combined last as long as two sets of summer tires.

My bet for all seasons is the General Altimax rt43i. Winter is blizzak ws90

Reactions: 1stNewOutback

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the base model 2017 WRX rims, you can see them in my profile. I’d post it here if I could figure out how.

And as already mentioned, winter tires are for winter use only. They wear really quickly once the weather warms up.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,778 Posts
@RedOak I don’t know about the different bolt pattern in the same year, but any reputable tire dealer should know for sure. I’m pretty sure if you plug in your car model on Discount Tires’s website it will show you the bolt pattern you need.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Daniel..... Thank again for the great post. I will definitely check out the two sites you recommended, but I've got a question.... I've been studying the OEM wheel options and, quite frankly, I like the wheels that came from the factory on other OBs in 2019 (other than 3.6R). Specifically, they look like 10-spoke wheels because all of the spokes are the same width (unlike ours). I'll post a photo, if I can figure out how, but the question is why the wheels I'm describing are spec'd differently? Ours are spec's as 5 x 114.3 and the ones that I like, on the other hand, are spec'd as 5 x 115?

They're both supposed to be 2019 OEM Outback wheels, so I'm at a loss. Would Subaru have changed the spindles on different OB models in the same model year?

Here are the wheels that we presently have:

View attachment 504208

Here are the wheels that I like more:

View attachment 504209
According to this all 2019 Outbacks use the same lug pattern (5 x 114.3). Listed as 5 x 115 is likely just rounded off. As far as I know the only sizes that bracket are 5x100 (smaller) and 5x120 (larger). Also, there is a thread Here with all the tires and wheels proven to fit Gen 5 (2015-2019) outbacks, many with pictures.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
148 Posts
If you want decent all-season that won’t break the bank, tire that has made it compromises in favor of snow and wet conditions, I think you are looking at General Altimax RT43

I liked my RT43 in adverse weather, but they always felt a little squishy in turns. Performance tire, the weren’t. That’s the flip side of the compromise. Not the quietest tire either IMHE.

they’ve been selling that same tire for like 10 years which is unusual considering they all rebrand models or do something better or change something.

in fact, I insist on NOT buying that as my next tire to try something more expensive a new (some version of Michelin’s Cross Climate probably. But they are all weather tires, not all season)

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,778 Posts
Hey @RedOak I purchased wheels very similar to what you're describing on the Outback, black between shiny aluminum spokes. The ones I purchased were for my truck and I bought them from Discount Tire using the links I gave you before. For your vehicle consider these:
Konig Crown
Liquid Metal Splice (8 inch width with 40 offset should match your stock wheels)
There are many others, those two happened to catch my eye in your wheel size.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Although I remain dubious about the rounding of specifications, I sincerely appreciate all of the thoughts.

Before we put down any hard-earned on any wheels and/or tires, I will ensure that I have all of the facts. If you study the photos I've added (above and below), you will see, once again, what we have and what we would like to have. Needless to say, it would be great if the people selling those OEM spec wheels, which I'm calling "touring" wheels -- the ones shown in the second photo of the maroon touring OB -- were mistaken, but the fact that they've also listed those wheels as being 7.5" wide would mean that there are two mistakes in their spec tables.

TOURING: Please note the number of lugs (5), the bolt pattern (115mm), the wheel width (7.5") and the year (2019).

LIMITED: Here, on the other hand, is an image of the wheels we got with the 2019 3.6R Limited (when new) and the spec's for those wheels...
Please note that the bolt pattern (114.3mm) and the wheel width (7.0") are different. It may be hard to believe that both are 2019 OB wheels, but there it is.

This is certainly one of those times that I hope that a mistake has been made...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey @RedOak I purchased wheels very similar to what you're describing on the Outback, black between shiny aluminum spokes. The ones I purchased were for my truck and I bought them from Discount Tire using the links I gave you before. For your vehicle consider these:
Konig Crown
Liquid Metal Splice (8 inch width with 40 offset should match your stock wheels)
There are many others, those two happened to catch my eye in your wheel size.
Daniel..... First, thanks for all of the help. I took a look at your suggestions and, in short, I prefer the Liquid Metal Splice wheels over the Konig Crown wheels.

If you take a look at the spec tables I posted earlier, in Post No. 18 (above), you will see that both of the OEM wheels that I am comparing, the Touring and the Limited, are spec'd as having a positive offset of 55mm. The Liquid Metal Splice wheels, on the other hand, are spec's at either 40mm or 42mm.

I'm certainly no aftermarket wheel expert, but doesn't less positive offset mean that the inside of the tire is closer to the wheel well liner? A wider wheel and a less positive offset has me wondering about tire rub and/or changes in handling. What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT: My reading is now telling me that I may have the concept of offset wrong. Now I'm reading that the more positive the offset -- I.E., 55mm vs 40mm -- the closer the inside of the tire is to the inside of the wheel well. Regardless, feel free to take me to wheel school. It's about time that I learn something about this..

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
148 Posts
My 2021 premium is spec’d at 114.3 mm (17 inch x 7)

I was curious I was googling and I stumbled across this conversation from this site. Second or third post there’s a comment “114.3 sometimes listed as 115” and a couple of other caveats.

Reactions: RedOak
1 - 20 of 54 Posts