Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2010 & 2019 Outback 3.6R Limited
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
As some of the folks posting here seem to have quite a bit of experience with buying wheels and tires for their Outbacks, I'd like to ask the board about what they've typically paid to have new TPM sensors installed and, ultimately, to have their tires and wheels balanced?

I'm especially interested in knowing what folks typically get charged for these services when they didn't buy the wheels and tires from the tire shop doing the TPM sensor installation and the wheel balancing work...Thinking back on it, I seem to recall paying a premium for this kind of service.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,674 Posts
2017 Costco 4 TPMS sensors at $44.99 each, installed with new tires bought from Costco so there was no separate installation charge.
Tire installation was $14.00 each. Disposal fee $1.00 each.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm trying not to laugh about it, but I just spoke to the main tire store nearest our mountain town...and, long story short, they want $550.00 to break the bead on one side of four OEM takeoffs and install (4) new TPM sensors. He was magnanimous enough, though, to tell me that he would "throw in the speed balancing" for free...which is good to know. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Tried that, too. No dice with the Subaru dealer. I guess I was too honest with them...and you know what happens to Mr. Nice Guy. 😉

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,778 Posts
It’d be worth joining Costco, Sams’s, or trying Walmart if there isn’t a discount tire near you. Even the dealer would be cheaper than the Firestone quote you got. If you still have the original sensors you don’t need new ones, just transfer them to the new wheels. If you do need new sensors, they will also have to be registered to the vehicle. IIRC this was from a minor accident, might be worth going through insurance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
For the benefit of the the thread, both driver's side TPMS were destroyed during the snowbank debacle...and I'm being nice by employing the word "snowbank." To be perfectly accurate, it should be called an ice ledge with snow on top of it. :unsure:

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
661 Posts
Don't know exactly where you live, but if snow is part of one of your seasons you might want to make the investment in a dedicated set of snow tires. I'd look in the classifieds here for a set of 17" wheels and mount snow tires on them. Then for the other 8-9 months of the year get your 18" wheels fixed, there's a few places that charge $150 or so for wheel repairs, or buy a replacement pair, again check the classified here and get a nice set all season or touring tires for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Don't know exactly where you live, but if snow is part of one of your seasons you might want to make the investment in a dedicated set of snow tires. I'd look in the classifieds here for a set of 17" wheels and mount snow tires on them. Then for the other 8-9 months of the year get your 18" wheels fixed, there's a few places that charge $150 or so for wheel repairs, or buy a replacement pair, again check the classified here and get a nice set all season or touring tires for the rest of the year.
JNMarshall..... Having plowed my wife's 3.6R into a snow/ice bank and having just finished our sixth snow removal job -- and that's just in February -- I'm beginning to see the wisdom in the snow tire idea. Here in the mountains, we have a full four+ months when snow is a definite possibility.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
661 Posts
JNMarshall..... Having plowed my wife's 3.6R into a snow/ice bank and having just finished our sixth snow removal job -- and that's just in February -- I'm beginning to see the wisdom in the snow tire idea. Here in the mountains, we have a full four+ months when snow is a definite possibility.
The stock 17" wheels fit perfect and give you the option to use 225/65-17 or 235/65-17 without issues. You'll have a good selection of snow tires with that size. You can also get a set of cloneable TPMS sensors so you can swap wheels between the snows and your 18" summer wheels. This will keep the TPMS light from nagging you the whole time. These are the exact ones I got so I can switch between my AT and road wheels. Although this past year I just left the 17's with my AT tires on for the full year. I was also pleased with their outstanding performance in the recent snow and ice storms we had last week. Never got stuck and was able to go everywhere.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts