Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I got a brand new Outback 3 weeks ago.
car is in break-in period, but I am noticing that i can never get more than 20 mpg even though i drive carefully.
Is this normal ? Pls share your thoughts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Definitely not normal. What I noticed when shopping Subarus was great consistency in mileage, but with the occasional random car that got significantly less mileage than the norm. Hopefully yours isn't one of those. I'd suggest a trip to the dealer and doing a controlled mileage loop with your car and a similar car from their loaner or new fleet to see if there is indeed a difference in the cars or if it is just your particular driving area/style.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have a loaner 2019 2.5 from the dealership while my car is being worked on, its dash mpg average says 28.3 right now, and I've been flogging the thing for the 4 days I've had it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hi - I got a brand new Outback 3 weeks ago.
car is in break-in period, but I am noticing that i can never get more than 20 mpg even though i drive carefully.
Is this normal ? Pls share your thoughts.
This has been discussed in other threads, your mileage is going to be influenced by the distance you travel (if your trips are say 10min or less, your car isn't even getting to optimal temperature), or the number of stops or stop lights you encounter (everyone's definition of "city" is different). You can drive carefully, but accelerate hard off the line getting to speed. Do you have your air conditioning on MAX?

When you drive, does the fuel efficiency stay yellow in the negative range to the left, or predominately green in the positive range to the right?

I drive suburbia GA (about 10miles outside of the 285 perimeter) in our 2019 2.5i, and generally get about 23mpg based on the display around town. If I'm on the highway, it's much better... to be honest, I haven't taken any long multi-hour trips, but I've been up around 30, and I think it would go higher.

You might change the station you purchase your gas from. Fill up, reset your "A" trip odometer. If you don't reset it, your mpg estimate will be influenced by previous driving. Get on the highway and drive an hour or two going about 65. What sort of mpg estimate are you getting then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts