Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 outback
20,000 mi
Knocking/thud/vibration/ feels like a hammer hitting the wheel well when turning over bumps

Hi all,
I’m having an issue that the dealer looked into for 2 weeks to finally call it “normal” after not figuring out what is causing it. It definitely doesn’t feel normal.

The best way to describe the issue is when turning and riding over bumps, there is a hollow sound from the front end associated with, what feels like, someone hitting the footwell repeatedly with a rubber mallet fairly hard. It happens occasionally on paved roads (bumps on entrance ramps and other turns), but it almost always happens when driving on dirt roads with bumps or washboard. It seems to happen most when accelerating and has happened at speeds from 10-60mph (slow on dirt roads or accelerating onto the freeway and everywhere in between). My guess is it’s coming from the suspension.

Has anyone else experienced this?? It feels like the car is intermittently going to fall apart. I’ve never experienced this before or in either loaner car from the dealership. They claim that they took another 2019 outback and reproduced the issue, therefore it’s normal. I’m finding that extremely hard to believe, and currently not letting me take a test drive with them in the other vehicle to feel it for myself.

Hoping someone has some insight for me! Thanks for helping.
Neil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A. When does the sound happen?

_ When turning
_ Over bumps
B. Where does the sound come from?

_ Suspension
_ Front wheel well directly under feet

C. Does the sound vary with certain conditions?

Happens most when accelerating or turning quickly.

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise?

_ Feel it through the floorpan or seat

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? Not really. Doesn’t seem to affect steering, maybe suspension is affected but I don’t know what to accurately compare it to.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
644 Posts
Check out various posts concerning the electronic steering rack box. I think that is what's causing my problem. There is a technical bulletin out related to changing out a spring. If that doesn't work the only option is to replace the entire assembly. I changed the spring and it didn't fix it. Since my car is way out of warranty and is only an irritation I'm just going to live with the clunking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out various posts concerning the electronic steering rack box. I think that is what's causing my problem. There is a technical bulletin out related to changing out a spring. If that doesn't work the only option is to replace the entire assembly. I changed the spring and it didn't fix it. Since my car is way out of warranty and is only an irritation I'm just going to live with the clunking.
Thanks Mike. I tried finding the technical bulletin regarding this and couldn’t. If you have access to it, would you mind sharing it with me?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Thanks Mike. I tried finding the technical bulletin regarding this and couldn’t. If you have access to it, would you mind sharing it with me?

Thanks so much!
Long thread about it... this post has it attached...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts