Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2019 outback. My friend and I installed a hitch. I would assume this is plug and play. I was working on some other stuff while he started and finished so all I did was bolt up the bumper beams and whatnot. Anyways I drove the car a few times afterwards but now I’m going to the airport and half way there the right blinker turned on and stays on when the car is off. All three mirror front and rear light stay on. I have to get to my flight so I know the battery will be dead when I get back on Thursday night. What could the issue be??

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Outback 3.6r Touring, 12 Forester X, 09 G8 GXP, 08 BMW 535xi
124 Posts
Pinched wire.
If you didn’t mess with wiring then that’s all it can be... you didn’t mess with anything else just installed the hitch?

Park the car and disconnect the battery so it doesn’t die..

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
If a trailer wiring adapter was used (as it should be), there could be a failure in the adapter.

The right side turn signal bulbs are on, steady (if I understand correctly). It's not the BIU/Turn signal module continuously flashing the lights. The trailer wiring adapter has a constant 12 V supply. If the adapter circuit were to short between that supply and the right side turn signal wiring, it could feed 12 V to all the right side bulbs, independent of the BIU. Nothing else in the wiring adapter can cause the lights to stay on that way.

I don't have info on the 2019, but for 2018, the 12 V always-on supply to the trailer wiring adapter is supplied through fuse #28 in the cabin fuse box. It's a 20 Amp fuse, identified as "TRAIL R.FOG" in the 2018 Owners Manual, page 12-11.

Alternatively, disconnect the trailer wiring adapter and see if the lights go out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I never remembered to update everyone. I brought the car to the dealer since after I jumped it the battery seemed bad and they ruled it fine, but also replaced the wiring harness under warranty. Apparently somewhere there was a damaged wire.They tried to give me fuss about it at first and then when I said it's a genuine subaru part they swapped out for free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts