Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, 2019. Yesterday while driving around town, we stopped at a drive-in for a burger. While there, the touch screen quit. Just quit. No buttons would work at all, the only thing that would work was the volume control, along with the on/off push, and the tuning knob. I couldn't get anything else to work.

We just picked the car up Friday -- six days ago. I kinda figured I would miss out on the radio problems since it's a 2019, but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
While I hate to hear about your problem, we can all hope this was an odd one-off or rare problem like a defective touchscreen, and you were the unlucky guy.

It does happen, and that's exactly what warranties are for. Let's hope this was an odd fluke.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I hate to hear about your problem, we can all hope this was an odd one-off or rare problem like a defective touchscreen, and you were the unlucky guy.

It does happen, and that's exactly what warranties are for. Let's hope this was an odd fluke.

I agree. I think it resolved itself after an hour or so, but it makes me wonder what's going to happen tomorrow, or next week or month.

I have an appt with the service department in Lubbock (92 miles!) tomorrow, so I'll just ask them.

No nav in this car, but could it have been updating something because it found an open WIFI system???

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had my android auto complete shutdown. Music stopped and the app disappeared off the head unit. Had unplugged the phone, plugged it back in and it didn't work. Restarted the phone too, nothin.

I was on about an hour drive and wasnt going to pull over just to shut the battery off and on again.

When I got to my destination, I turned it off and turned it back to accessory and tested it. Worked fine.

This is different then what you described but still felt I should share.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my android auto complete shutdown. Music stopped and the app disappeared off the head unit. Had unplugged the phone, plugged it back in and it didn't work. Restarted the phone too, nothin.

I was on about an hour drive and wasnt going to pull over just to shut the battery off and on again.

When I got to my destination, I turned it off and turned it back to accessory and tested it. Worked fine.

This is different then what you described but still felt I should share.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same problem with in 24 hours after purchase (last week). I had touched the XM traffic and weather button on the touch screen when it locked up. Only the volume knob functioned. I cut the engine, let it sit 30 minutes and when I started the car, it was working properly. I figured it's best to stay away from the traffic and weather button.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2019 today I had android auto on playing spotify. I hit the directions button and it switched to waze, then froze up the screen but still playing music. I hit the music button a few times and it switched back after a few seconds, and all seems fine after that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let’s hope the 2019s’ infotainment problems aren’t as severe as the 2018s’.

There are 2 NHTSA recalls on the ‘18s for interior electronics, and a law firm is moving forward with a Class Action lawsuit, (Incidentally, consult an attorney before signing-on to a CL suit. You may do better settling on your own.)

LINK to the 1400-plus-post 2018 head unit thread:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/465882-2018-headunit-issues-thread-post5759333.html#/topics/465882?page=141

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2019 Infotainment system is the same as the system in the 2018 models. It would seem logical to me that it would be since it was revised and “upgraded” for the 2017-2018 change. If so then owners of the 2019 HK systems should expect the same issues that many are having with their 2018 models.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
The only issue with my 2019 8” H/K system is hit or miss Apple Carplay connectivity. Sometimes I have to dis connect/re-connect the cord for the car to recognize my iPhone.

Otherwise it has been perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
So, just an update. The software was updated as per below by the dealer. Hopefully his solves the CarPlay connectivity issues. Will update in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 and she had the same issue but it was fixed after I had the dealer do an update. It has been about 5 months since then and no isses.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 2018 outback is doing the same. Screen went black. No radio, no phone no back up camera. Not happy. Only have 5000 miles. Calling dealer today.
There is a thread dedicated to 2018 Head Unit (HU) recall issues. That thread is over 1400 responses Expect to wait for a replacement unit for a couple of weeks after the dealership validates the failure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I updated our 2019 Limited yesterday. They gave me a different version.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts