Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOA just announced the pricing of the 2019 Outback models this afternoon. Thus we start another model year and the decision as to which model year to purchase. In order to help you make this decision I have created the attached pricing comparison.

The good news is that the price increases are extremely modest and for a lot of us the better news is that we will continue to be able to purchase the 6 cylinder engine.

Destination & Delivery on all models increased from $915 to $975.

The primary change this year is the shuffling of options from standard equipment to an option package. For the 2018 model year 3.6R Limited the moonroof was standard and EyeSight was a part of Option 23. For the 2019 model year the situation is reversed as EyeSight is standard equipment and the moonroof is now a part of Option 24. Note that navigation is also a part of Option 24 so the two are NOT stand alone options. My guess is that many people will forgo the moonroof this year as our smart phones also give us the navigation option.

Please note that I do not guarantee the accuracy of the attached spreadsheet as I put it together very quickly. If you see a mistake please let us know. Finally, the invoice pricing is ESTIMATED but I do think it will prove to be within a few dollars of the final invoice number.

For anyone contemplating a purchase in the near future the decision between the 2018 and 2019 model year is an extremely difficult one to make. Why? There are essentially no differences between the two model years. The 2019 models will undoubtedly NOT have 0% financing but any 2018 purchase now is the purchase of a vehicle that is essentially one year old.

Hopefully the comparison will make your task easier.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Hmm, for the 2018, the eyesight package seemed like a no-brainer. It would certainly be more of a decision whether to get the option package or not if we were buying the 2019. I think we could live without everything in the new option package, though the high beam assist would be sorely missed!

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a follow-up to my thread starter of yesterday.

My travels tell me that it is possible to purchase a 2018 OB Limited model at a dealer price somewhere around $1,500 below invoice with 48 month 0% financing available on the OTD price. While it is impossible at this point in time to know how dealers will price the 2019 OB Limited models history suggests that the financing rate will be 1.9% or greater at the beginning of the model year. Given the interest cost for an OTD price loan on the 2019 models the total difference in final cost between the 2018 and 2019 models could be in the range of $2,500 to $3,000. Based on this I would have to purchase the 2018 model year Outback in lieu of waiting a few weeks for the 2019 models.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

·
Registered
2019 Acura RDX, 2018 Audi TT RS
10 Posts
This is a follow-up to my thread starter of yesterday.

My travels tell me that it is possible to purchase a 2018 OB Limited model at a dealer price somewhere around $1,500 below invoice with 48 month 0% financing available on the OTD price. While it is impossible at this point in time to know how dealers will price the 2019 OB Limited models history suggests that the financing rate will be 1.9% or greater at the beginning of the model year. Given the interest cost for an OTD price loan on the 2019 models the total difference in final cost between the 2018 and 2019 models could be in the range of $2,500 to $3,000. Based on this I would have to purchase the 2018 model year Outback in lieu of waiting a few weeks for the 2019 models.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

My first post here on the forum as I am researching the purchase of my first Subaru.

THANK YOU for this information! This is one of the best forum threads I've read.

·
Registered
2016 OUTBACK 2.5i Limited
56 Posts
I am looking at "End of Lease" in Oct. Wondering about which will be cheaper, an 18 Outback, or 19 Outback to lease again??!!?? Heck, maybe I should just lease a 19 Forester.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first post here on the forum as I am researching the purchase of my first Subaru.

THANK YOU for this information! This is one of the best forum threads I've read.
gurneyeagle:

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, you are in an area where there is not significant competition and you may have a hard time finding the kind of pricing that I mentioned in my previous post to the thread.

You will probably need to travel to a major metropolitan area like Washington, D.C., Chicago, or the Denver area where there are 5 or more Subaru dealers who compete for buyers.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I am looking at "End of Lease" in Oct. Wondering about which will be cheaper, an 18 Outback, or 19 Outback to lease again??!!?? Heck, maybe I should just lease a 19 Forester.
I was told that leasing is always more.expensive and if my calculations show otherwise, recheck the calculations!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fred, did you do a comparison spreadsheet for the 2.5i OB?
AMC3:

I have updated the comparison to include the 2.5 Limited and Touring. As you might expect the results are similiar to those for the 3.6R models.

Again, I don't provide any guarantees as to the accuracy of my comparison and remember that the invoice pricing is ESTIMATED!!!

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
13 Posts
Comparison

Thank you, Fred!

AMC3:

I have updated the comparison to include the 2.5 Limited and Touring. As you might expect the results are similiar to those for the 3.6R models.

Again, I don't provide any guarantees as to the accuracy of my comparison and remember that the invoice pricing is ESTIMATED!!!

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This morning, July 19, the Subaru website shows the 2019 models and the dealer's websites are showing their first 2019 Outbacks "In Transit".

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited Outback and Legacy
43 Posts
I just wanted to add if you buy a 2018 in cash Subaru is offering $1500 off the car price, or you can take the financing and get only $500, but this is till the end of the month and i assume it may continue for the 2018 model year if there are any left in August

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
371 Posts
SOA just announced the pricing of the 2019 Outback models this afternoon. Thus we start another model year and the decision as to which model year to purchase. In order to help you make this decision I have created the attached pricing comparison.

The good news is that the price increases are extremely modest and for a lot of us the better news is that we will continue to be able to purchase the 6 cylinder engine.

Destination & Delivery on all models increased from $915 to $975.

The primary change this year is the shuffling of options from standard equipment to an option package. For the 2018 model year 3.6R Limited the moonroof was standard and EyeSight was a part of Option 23. For the 2019 model year the situation is reversed as EyeSight is standard equipment and the moonroof is now a part of Option 24. Note that navigation is also a part of Option 24 so the two are NOT stand alone options. My guess is that many people will forgo the moonroof this year as our smart phones also give us the navigation option.

Please note that I do not guarantee the accuracy of the attached spreadsheet as I put it together very quickly. If you see a mistake please let us know. Finally, the invoice pricing is ESTIMATED but I do think it will prove to be within a few dollars of the final invoice number.

For anyone contemplating a purchase in the near future the decision between the 2018 and 2019 model year is an extremely difficult one to make. Why? There are essentially no differences between the two model years. The 2019 models will undoubtedly NOT have 0% financing but any 2018 purchase now is the purchase of a vehicle that is essentially one year old.

Hopefully the comparison will make your task easier.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan
Thanks for this research Fred...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cash Rebate

Hello,

With the 2019s right around the corner, I've been shopping for the 2018 3.6 Limited Outback and got a pretty good offer today from one dealer - about $33,800 (MSRP $38,740) before TTL. Another dealer mentioned being able to take off an additional $1,500 for a cash offer (and was at $32,600 but out of area). I asked the salesperson today if they are able to take more off with a cash offer, but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about (or pretended not to). I've seen both a $1,000 and $1,500 rebate for cash mentioned on the forums. Do you think the dealer was just trying to pocket the difference themselves? The offer of $33,800 was predicated on a Costco price, but I asked the rebate question even before mentioning Costco.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
26 Posts

Saw this today, as we are pricing 2019's. Very interestingly (and somewhat surprisingly), Subaru HAS dropped the interest rate on the 2019s to 0% from 10/20-10/31. Not sure what the loan month range is yet.

Agree with you about skipping the nav package because, hey, Google! But they were smart enough to bundle moonroof and nav with Reverse Auto Braking and LED Steering responsive lights - which we do want. Also noticing that in, at least in SW PA, 80-90% of all 2019 2.5 Limiteds have Package #24. Most of them also have Pkg #2.

Thank you for the pricing comparison sheet.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium
40 Posts
My wife drives a '14 forester which lead me to buy my 17 outback. Both are great. Seats are a bit different (then again a new forester could have different seats than her's. She's got a few more options on here whereas I opted for the most basic Premium I could get to save money and still get the few options I did care about. No complaints about either.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saw this today, as we are pricing 2019's. Very interestingly (and somewhat surprisingly), Subaru HAS dropped the interest rate on the 2019s to 0% from 10/20-10/31. Not sure what the loan month range is yet.

Agree with you about skipping the nav package because, hey, Google! But they were smart enough to bundle moonroof and nav with Reverse Auto Braking and LED Steering responsive lights - which we do want. Also noticing that in, at least in SW PA, 80-90% of all 2019 2.5 Limiteds have Package #24. Most of them also have Pkg #2.

Thank you for the pricing comparison sheet.
PGH:

Thanks for the kind words. Most people here don't bother with the simple but important "thank you". I was really surprised to read your news about the 0% interest rate offered thru the end of October as I didn't believe that Subaru would ever go back to the 0% rate. My guess is that it is available for a max of 48 months.

If you look at my attached sales figures the 0% begins to make some sense for Subaru as Outback sales really fell "off" in September and are probably going to be down about the same this month (just a guess).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts