Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than 3 months old and got a crack in my windshield =(

It happened when a truck was passing by and a little stone hit my windshield. It was just a small crack and after a minute start cracking all over.

Tomorrow I'm heading to the dealership to check if they can do something.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
205 Posts
I doubt they will do anything as it was hit by a stone. If it was a defect in the glass, that would be different. Hopefully you have the glass coverage from your insurance company.
If not, you should get it. Not too much extra.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I doubt they will do anything as it was hit by a stone.
That was my first thought. Not sure why the OP expects Subaru to pay for their misfortune. That is why we have insurance.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback Limited and 2010 Forester Premium
158 Posts
Only 3 months in it’s worth a shot. Sometimes a rock hits your windshield and nothing cracks, sometimes it does. The dealership may just be cool about replacing it to keep a new customer happy.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
289 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2018 Legacy, small rock chip on lower right side and it cracked all the way across. My insurance company recommended Safelite and they worked with the Dealer and replaced the windshield. The Dealer did a check of the Eyesight System and collect the deductible from me. No problems, Safelight used a Subaru windshield instead of aftermarket glass. Dealer gave me a new Forester to use as a loaner.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Premium Abyss Blue Pearl 11-1-18 Previous: 1986 GL-10 Legacy Wagon 150,000 miles, 2002 Legacy Outback Limited 260,000 miles
80 Posts
That's what the comprehensive part of your auto insurance policy is for! No expensive and you can get a $0 deductible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just bought a 2019 Outback in April and just had our fourth windshield crack today. That's right, four replacement windshields in 11,000 miles and now the fourth one is cracked. The windshield cracks about 1500 miles after a new one is installed. I see that there have been problems in the past but is this still an issue?

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback Limited and 2010 Forester Premium
158 Posts
I guess I should have said three replacement windshields but four broken windshields.
Where do you live? Some places have issues with windshields getting cracked. My 2018 OB hasn’t had a cracked windshield in the 16K I’ve driven it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
My primary residence is in Oregon but also live part time in Colorado. Each new windshield only lasts around 1500 miles before a large crack starts and runs across the windshield immediately. I have never seen anything like it and I have driven a lot of miles in my 60 years. Our Outback is now four months old with 11,000 miles on it. I don't know what we are going to do. I am afraid my insurance company is going to drop me since it is about $1200 each replacement.

·
Registered
2013 OBP Forester XT
85 Posts
Maybe on the next windshield you have a ClearPlex film installed...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suppose that is something to consider but will the cameras work correctly through it not to mention that the closest location is more than 1000 miles from where I live.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,371 Posts
My primary residence is in Oregon but also live part time in Colorado. Each new windshield only lasts around 1500 miles before a large crack starts and runs across the windshield immediately. I have never seen anything like it and I have driven a lot of miles in my 60 years. Our Outback is now four months old with 11,000 miles on it. I don't know what we are going to do. I am afraid my insurance company is going to drop me since it is about $1200 each replacement.
It wouldn't surprise me in this case if there is something about the windshield frame or the installers themselves causing this problem. We have heard of bad welds in the cowl area so the possibility of bad welds in other areas that haven't been identified yet exists. Too much flex as the car twists could cause a windshield crack you describe. A small chip of broken glass left embedded in the urethane on the pinch weld with the new glass installed on top of it could eventually cause a crack in the new windshield. The windshield opening just being slightly out of spec could cause the windshield to contact the frame on the edges with normal expansion and contraction and normal twisting.

These are all extreme and unlikely possibilities but could be possible. Or maybe you just have really bad luck. But if all four cracks were pretty much identical I would be looking for a cause.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The first crack and the last crack were both caused by a very small object hitting the windshield. The first was a stone of probably less than 1/8 inch in diameter on the lower driver's side. The last was a rock slightly bigger but traffic was only moving about 30 mph in both directions.

The second and third cracks were nearly identical and about 12 inches long, horizontal behind the rear view mirror approximately 1/2 inch below the black cross hatch. Both had what looked like a large rock strike in exactly the same place. The first was noticed after we pulled out of a parking garage in downtown Denver. The next one happened while we were driving down the interstate in South Idaho all by ourselves with no other vehicle in sight. There was a loud bang and there was the crack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The second and fourth windshields were replaced by Safelite in Kennewick, WA. The third windshield was replaced by Safelite in the Denver area, maybe Boulder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all replies.
The dealer said there is nothing to be done in their side (it was expected).
My insurance could pay for it, but I am going to wait to the crack be unbearable, and then proceed with the replacement.

I live in Alberta, and the odds to get a little rock in the windshield when driving on the highway are pretty good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 20 day old 2020 Outback has a cracked windshield... the crack started from the passenger side edge and cracked inward. Less than 1400 km (870 miles). No rocks hit the windshield. Does Subaru have a QC issue with their glass?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A sudden crack developed today in the windshield of my Outback 2020, less than 3 months old. It started cracking from the top (closer to the rear view mirror) proceeding downward. Reason for the crack is unknown -no rocks hit. The car was parked in office parking and I observed the crack first time while getting into the car in the afternoon when heading out for a quick errand. Have the same thought - does Subaru have a QC issue with their glass?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts