Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Outdoor XT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the A-Pillar to accommodate a dash cam installation. Also will be removing the trim on the back hatch where the two rubber cable runs are from the car to the hatch door.

Has anyone removed these trims specifically on a 2020 or 2021? As best as I can tell you gently pry/pull and they unsnap but want to see if I can find someone who has done already.

Thank-you...

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
399 Posts
My A pillar trim popped right off...but it has an air bag under it so watch out.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,389 Posts
I need to remove the A-Pillar to accommodate a dash cam installation. Also will be removing the trim on the back hatch where the two rubber cable runs are from the car to the hatch door.

Has anyone removed these trims specifically on a 2020 or 2021? As best as I can tell you gently pry/pull and they unsnap but want to see if I can find someone who has done already.

Thank-you...
Have you considered tapping into the overhead console? There is information about connecting radar connectors following the shorter/cleaner route to the overhead. Granted, the detectors are running directly on the 12V system, but I think there is an easy solution to hook up a 5V dash cam. The unit with two USB outlets will allow for a mini fan to be installed in the overhead if wanted. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,424 Posts
This guy went down the A-pillar:

Here's someone who took power from the overhead console for a radar detector:

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
399 Posts
Have you considered tapping into the overhead console? There is information about connecting radar connectors following the shorter/cleaner route to the overhead. Granted, the detectors are running directly on the 12V system, but I think there is an easy solution to hook up a 5V dash cam. The unit with two USB outlets will allow for a mini fan to be installed in the overhead if wanted. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

The 12v power port in the glove turns off when you turn the car off. .. i found it simple just to use 12v fused plug in glove box. No need to cut or splice etc.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Outdoor XT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is spot on. Thank-you all. The diagram and Forrester video are very helpful. I am almost positive it is the same design from the Forrester to the Outback.

Took a look at drawing power from the overhead console, however as I need to run a cable to the back anyway for the rear camera may as well use a fuse tap. Also then have the added protection of an extra fuse. I will take a video and post for those that want to see it on a 2021 Outback.

Any hints on the rear trim where the wiring goes from the body to the hatch door?

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is spot on. Thank-you all. The diagram and Forrester video are very helpful. I am almost positive it is the same design from the Forrester to the Outback.

Took a look at drawing power from the overhead console, however as I need to run a cable to the back anyway for the rear camera may as well use a fuse tap. Also then have the added protection of an extra fuse. I will take a video and post for those that want to see it on a 2021 Outback.

Any hints on the rear trim where the wiring goes from the body to the hatch door?
The Forester video covers that too. I didn't put in a rear camera though, so I can't confirm whether it's the same or if there are any differences. I would think it would be the same though. Use silicon grease and a fish tape to pull your cable through that pass-through.

I will say this. Make sure you really test your crimps on your fuse taps before you do anything. I think I must have bought out every low-profile fuse tap on the SE side of Denver because my crimps kept failing. I would give them a good tug, and yet somehow the wire would pop right out when I was in the middle of the install. Then I would have to take everything out, put the fuses in their original positions, get in the car, and drive to the store to get a new one. This happened about 3 times, each time the drive to the store being further than the last since each store only had one or two taps in stock to begin with.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl (Mine) PP 2 , 2017 Ice Silver Outback Limited (Wife's)
192 Posts
I installed my camera on the passenger side of the review mirror and ran the included cord down the Passenger A Pillar and plugged into the 12v outlet in the glove box. I don't need to have the camera continuously powered and this was an easy and quick way to get the camera installed and powered up.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,856 Posts
I’m having difficulty getting my passenger side A pillar to snap back into place. I need to check and make sure the clip isn’t broken. 🤦🏻‍♀️
That was the worst part for me. I even had my dealer service department try to get it back in place, and they thought they got it but it popped off again. I THINK I have it secure again, and it seems to be staying. I pulled down the weatherstripping that goes over the ping weld of the door opening, then got the clip in the middle of the cover secured then the top, then pushed the weatherstripping back over the pinch weld. It's been almost a week since I did this and it's stayed in place so far.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the same problem. It would stay for a while, then pop out when the car got really hot. What I did to fix it was rotate the top clip/strap by 180° and then re-secure it. I think it only works properly in one orientation, but it’s easy for it to spin around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts