Subaru Outback Forums banner

1481 - 1500 of 1527 Posts

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,450 Posts
I’d be more worried about something kicking up from the road and taking out the Fumoto valve itself rather than the tiny amount that doesn’t make it to the spout.
Understandable but it would be very well guarded by shielding and in a good position underneath the engine. Something unfortunate could happen to any vehicle's underbody but I would have more confidence in the Fumoto being protected underneath the Outback, at least far more than on most vehicles.

FWIW I vaguely remember either a Subaru accessory or some other type of fabricated part that one can get to shield that open area where the oil drain plug is accessed.

·
Registered
21 Outback Touring XT
11 Posts
Yes that is a common worry with the Fumoto and doubly so if you're an off-roader. I've never heard of it happening but it is a theoretical possibility and if you're scraping the bottom of your car you don't want anything sticking out. My Fumoto isn't hanging below the bottom of the car but I imagine going through scrub something could catch on it. I once got someone else's radio antenna stuck in my rear brake shield. Don't know how it got up in there.

Jeep guys have the same concern but they also use Fumotos:

Def picking one of these up. have one on my truck and makes the process that much smoother! Any specific place you find a good deal on them now a days ive had one for a long time and dont recall where i purchased it from anyways... probably a diesel site. What part number fits our outbacks?

·
Registered
21 Outback Touring XT
11 Posts
And one last question.. what filters are most using? i run anything even though lots down talk fram filters. i run wix fuel filters and Ac Delco filters a lot. would subaru oem filters be worth it or go with a wix or similar? Im going to be ordering them in bulk soon to add to my cabinet.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
The 2021 is the same as 2020 and the F108SX is the correct valve but some have put an F108N on by just moving/bending the exhaust heat shield a little. I think the 108SX is the better way to go because you can clock it at installation instead of being stuck where it ends up at a certain torque.

The torque spec is 18 foot pounds no matter which F108 you have, including the SX

Our fuel filter is in-tank, for oil filter there's someone doing a filtration study and that will inform choices down the road.

I have been using the Wix 57055XP and the Purolator Boss PBL14615, but the Fram Ultra XG7317 is a popular choice.

For air filters I think Wix and Purolator provide the highest filtration but not the highest flow rate. Can't go wrong with OEM though. To be honest I'm using whatever is cheap - I am using a Premium Guard air filter or something from Amazon but I'm trying to buy local in the future.

For cabin filters I have a cheap chinese no-name brand right now but I recently acquired the Bosch HEPA version 6092C and will use that one going forward. As a side effect of tighter filtration it does decrease flow rate. I promised to measure the flow rate change when I install it so we'll see how bad it is.

·
Registered
21 Outback Touring XT
11 Posts
The 2021 is the same as 2020 and the F108SX is the correct valve but some have put an F108N on by just moving/bending the exhaust heat shield a little. I think the 108SX is the better way to go because you can clock it at installation instead of being stuck where it ends up at a certain torque.

The torque spec is 18 foot pounds no matter which F108 you have, including the SX

Our fuel filter is in-tank, for oil filter there's someone doing a filtration study and that will inform choices down the road.

I have been using the Wix 57055XP and the Purolator Boss PBL14615, but the Fram Ultra XG7317 is a popular choice.

For air filters I think Wix and Purolator provide the highest filtration but not the highest flow rate. Can't go wrong with OEM though. To be honest I'm using whatever is cheap - I am using a Premium Guard air filter or something from Amazon but I'm trying to buy local in the future.

For cabin filters I have a cheap chinese no-name brand right now but I recently acquired the Bosch HEPA version 6092C and will use that one going forward. As a side effect of tighter filtration it does decrease flow rate. I promised to measure the flow rate change when I install it so we'll see how bad it is.
Here was a good test i followed regarding my truck It really shows the build quality of each and lead me even more away from frams

·
Registered
2020 Touring xt
117 Posts
I was able to get ~ 4 qts. out with the mityvac, but then just yanked the drain plug.
Perhaps more messing around with jacking the car up at different angles could have yielded more. I also didn't try putting the tube down the oil filler pipe.
I'm not due again till May or June, but I may try all that stuff again.

Perhaps pre bending the pump tube so it will angle towards the front of the oil pan might help.
I would much rather use the pump, if it can get at least 4.5+ out of the pan.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Here was a good test i followed regarding my truck It really shows the build quality of each and lead me even more away from frams

I just read the entire 16 page thread. I found the bypass valve microswitch very interesting. Subaru has specified a higher bypass pressure than some filters come with, and depending on the flow rate of the media, oil viscosity/temperature and RPM you would only want the bypass to open when absolutely necessary. Oil pumps are positive displacement so the oil will flow - whether it has to tear the media or whatever. I do not think Subaru has an internal oil bypass.

Because our oil filters are base-down, the anti-drainback valve is critical and seeing one torn is a serious flaw in the Wix XP. If I still had one I would tear it open to see but I'm using the Purolator BOSS now.

Baldwin's filter for our car is the B1431 B1402 with a 14 psi bypass valve but Subaru's spec is over 20. Hmm..

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
285 Posts
...for oil filter there's someone doing a filtration study and that will inform choices down the road.

This will be unlike any filter study currently out there. This isn't some dude just cutting up filters and posting comments based on how a filter is made. It's a lab that's main purpose is to conduct filtration tests for other companies so this will be testing based on ISO standards.

·
5,450 Posts

The majority of the negativity you will see about Fram is from back when Fram was owned by Honeywell and Honeywell had developed a horrible reputation for building poor quality products under the Fram brand. In the most literal way I can put it 99% of anything negative you see about Fram on the internet or hear otherwise is based on the Honeywell reputation from over a decade ago, the Fram Ultra that has been made over the past decade is the pinnacle of spin on can oil filter quality and performance in so many ways.

It is funny how Mr. Duramax Bob is complaining about the little boxes that Fram filters come in, as if that matters, and repeating the same drivel about cardboard construction, etc. I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of Frams cut open after usage and I don't recall seeing any Ultras with a bent pleat connector, I am not saying that it could not happen but it is amazing that they only one that I have ever seen happens to be on the filter they cut open. Not only that but he did one deceitful thing, knowingly or unknowingly, and that is remove the bypass valve and take a picture of it on the opposite end only then to state that there is nothing preventing oil from leaking through. He also does not appear to be aware of the fact that the bypass valve and anti-drainback valve are held in place by the oil pressure. These pressurized areas will not allow oil to leak through one way when pressurized oil is being forced out in an opposite direction. I think this guy thinks he is an expert but has obvious oversights and commits to doing a lot of the same deceitful habits of other clickbait artists 🤔

I personally use nothing but the Fram 7317 Ultra or Titanium series filters on my Subarus, that and the Wix 57055 (or Napa 7055 equivalent). Zero complaints from me and countless others, in fact you are more likely to hear nothing but positive comments before you will see one negative.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
I'm waiting for the results of that filtration study. Without that study my preference would be to stick with the Purolator BOSS.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
I think this guy thinks he is an expert but has obvious oversights and commits to doing a lot of the same clickbait habits of other clickbait artists 🤔
I do think his work is done in good faith but being critical of his methodology is a healthy thing. The path to **** is paved.. nevermind. If oil filters had standards that needed to be published the way motor oils were, and independently tested, we would all be better off. If we all had the particle counts done as part of our UOA's that might be a good substitute.

·
5,450 Posts
I do think his work is done in good faith but being critical of his methodology is a healthy thing. The path to **** is paved.. nevermind. If oil filters had standards that needed to be published the way motor oils were, and independently tested, we would all be better off. If we all had the particle counts done as part of our UOA's that might be a good substitute.
I just get frustrated when I see people who appear to have an agenda to cudgel something based on ignorance, either their own or that of the people that they are seeking attention from. Another thing he is griping about is Fram not testing below 20 microns, I know for a fact (because I had a video conference with an engineer from Fram) that 20 microns is their benchmark for all general oil filtration testing. So why take issue with that as if it were a negative? Independent testing shows that the Ultra outperforms every other filter on the market in efficiency but apparently to Mr. Duramax Bob he wants to lead his readers to believe that being the best is just not good enough. I could provide information that the Ultra effectively filters down to 3 microns @ 50% efficiency and anyone can find that information listed on Rock Auto. 3 microns @ 50% is bypass filtration efficiency and I know that no other brands full flow oil filter on the market can touch that.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
2,149 Posts
Fair enough, but I just use and plan to continue using factory filters. I would buy the black cap JDM ones if they were actually available here, but otherwise the OEM ones are fine and cheap enough.

Is @Kevin ; trying to make a point that the Fram Ultra is of superior quality materials and filters more effectively than the OEM one? If the oil is constrained down to 3 microns is it possible it could “clog” and not let the appropriate flow rate if oil through as a result? (Kind of like the way a hepa filter restricts airflow based on the merv rating?

·
5,450 Posts
Fair enough, but I just use and plan to continue using factory filters. I would buy the black cap JDM ones if they were actually available here, but otherwise the OEM ones are fine and cheap enough.

Is @Kevin ; trying to make a point that the Fran Ultra is of superior quality materials and filters more effectively than the OEM one? If the oil is constrained down to 3 microns is it possible it could “clog” and not let the appropriate flow rate if oil through as a result?
I don't discourage anyone from using the OEM oil filter, so long as they don't go much beyond 6000 miles on one. I just prefer the Wix 57055 as I think it is a big step up from the OEM in every way and about the same price. For multiple intervals the Fram Ultra is the only way to go but I will probably be sticking to single intervals on oil filters from now on due to a unique warranty that I have on my 2021 Outback.

Edited to add: A filter's ability to effectively capture a smaller size of particulate matter does not or should not suggest that it is more likely to clog sooner. I don't know where notions like this come from, the filter is rated for 20,000 miles of usage capturing 3 micron or 20 micron particulate matter the entire time. Would you rather have more or less unfiltered particulate matter going to through your engine?

I was referring to Mr. Duramax Bob making some ridiculous assertions in the thread linked above. One one hand he complains that Fram does not test below 20 microns and on the other hand he foolishly states about the Amsoil oil filter, "No other filter can say nearly 99% at 20 microns with a straight face. Not one." Excuse me sir but the Fram Ultra and Tough Guard have been rated 99% @ 20 microns for several years longer than Amsoil has. I have seen too much of this anti-Fram idiocy on the internet and I would rather nip it in the bud when it makes its way on this site.

·
5,450 Posts

Just to end this, I knew it sounded familiar and it was something that Mr. Duramax Bob tried to promote over at BITOG about two years ago and was taken down from that site due to Mr. Duramax Bob personally attacking site members for questioning him. Dude is a clickbait troll and has been outed. More information in the thread linked below:

·
Registered
2020 Touring xt
117 Posts
Supposedly, one of the best filters for the Subaru is the stock factory Mazda RX 8 filter...I would use it, but I would be worried about the warranty.

·
5,450 Posts
Supposedly, one of the best filters for the Subaru is the stock factory Mazda RX 8 filter...I would use it, but I would be worried about the warranty.
If you are in the United States the Magnusson-Moss law allows you to use whatever oil filter you want.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
92 Posts

Is @Kevin ; trying to make a point that the Fram Ultra is of superior quality materials and filters more effectively than the OEM one? If the oil is constrained down to 3 microns is it possible it could “clog” and not let the appropriate flow rate if oil through as a result? (Kind of like the way a hepa filter restricts airflow based on the merv rating?
The WRX black Japanese filters fit, if it's of any help, and they can be found at any dealership including online stores. I have a few I plan to use.
Part 15208AA170

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
348 Posts
I just get frustrated when I see people who appear to have an agenda to cudgel something based on ignorance, either their own or that of the people that they are seeking attention from. Another thing he is griping about is Fram not testing below 20 microns, I know for a fact (because I had a video conference with an engineer from Fram) that 20 microns is their benchmark for all general oil filtration testing. So why take issue with that as if it were a negative? Independent testing shows that the Ultra outperforms every other filter on the market in efficiency but apparently to Mr. Duramax Bob he wants to lead his readers to believe that being the best is just not good enough. I could provide information that the Ultra effectively filters down to 3 microns @ 50% efficiency and anyone can find that information listed on Rock Auto. 3 microns @ 50% is bypass filtration efficiency and I know that no other brands full flow oil filter on the market can touch that.
As the Fram commercial used to say, "you can pay me now or pay me later"

1481 - 1500 of 1527 Posts