Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT. 2.4L Turbo, CVT, Popular Package #2, Abyss Blue Pearl / Black Leather
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a week or two ago I hit a dog on the way home in the dark. The dog suddenly appeared and I got to the brakes before eyesight even tried. I was only traveling about 35 MPH before I stabbed the brakes. I hit the dog but he ran away. It made me sick to my stomach!

When I got home the only damage I could find was the driver side fog light was loose in the bumper, not completely disconnected but definitely not attached at the top.

Today may son and I tackled a repair attempt. It was a real pain in the back side to get the bottom mount disconnected, but we finally got the light out of the hole.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting

The top mount is a very thin piece of plastic that is molded in to the back side of the bumper cover.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

This pop up clips to the mounting point on top of the fog light.

Calipers Wood Gas Vise Electric blue

We reattached the mount to the top of the assembly with the pop clip and put some JB Weld on both the mount and the back side of the bumper. Then I reinstalled the housing into place and used a small c-clamp to hold the housing in place while it cures.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Sorry I didn't get more pictures but I was losing daylight and is was cool out. I'll let everyone know how or IF it holds after I let it cure for a day or two and get some miles on it.
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille
Calipers Wood Gas Vise Electric blue
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,379 Posts
I'm not sure about plastic bumpers exactly but there's this thing called "low surface energy" that applies to plastics and why they are so difficult to glue. Combine that with the kind of joint you're making with a very small cross section I wouldn't expect it to last unless you bonded something else to it for support, like sandwiching it with aluminum or more thin plastic or something with nut and bolt or rivets or something. It turns out that JB weld isn't a bad choice for use on plastics but it's definitely not a strong epoxy bond like it were wood to metal or something.

Reactions: NickBeek

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT. 2.4L Turbo, CVT, Popular Package #2, Abyss Blue Pearl / Black Leather
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure about plastic bumpers exactly but there's this thing called "low surface energy" that applies to plastics and why they are so difficult to glue. Combine that with the kind of joint you're making with a very small cross section I wouldn't expect it to last unless you bonded something else to it for support, like sandwiching it with aluminum or more thin plastic or something with nut and bolt or rivets or something. It turns out that JB weld isn't a bad choice for use on plastics but it's definitely not a strong epoxy bond like it were wood to metal or something.

I'm not holding my breath that it will work, but the only other option is to replace the entire front bumper cover. I'm a little annoyed with the dainty design of that mounting tab being so thin and flimsy. For a car that should be able to go "off road" it is very poorly designed. A hit from a stick along side of the trail would knock that thing right out.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,379 Posts
I am surprised that it broke off - the plastic shouldn't be so brittle. So far though it seems yours is the only one that broke that I have seen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! So far my JB Weld and C-clamp are holding up. I've driven on bumpy roads and even been up to 100 MPH (on a closed course, of course). The only thing I haven't done yet is go through the car wash....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts