Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a ‘20 XT with about 800 miles on it.

Since new, it has had a considerable rattle coming from the dash while accelerating, between 1500 and 2500 rpm.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Any ways to remedy?

I am not keen on bringing it to the dealership for them to start exploring around the dash, don’t want to cause more issues.

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnettie Grey Metallic
277 Posts
Hey all,

Since new, it has had a considerable rattle coming from the dash while accelerating, between 1500 and 2500 rpm.

Any ways to remedy?

I am not keen on bringing it to the dealership for them to start exploring around the dash, don’t want to cause more issues.
maybe check your side air vents, several people have said these can rattle and had them replaced, my passenger side air vent does this occasionally I can push it in and it goes away for awhile.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
585 Posts
If you decide to take it to the dealer I am recommending you pre arrange one of the dealership to go on a test ride with you driving to demonstrate the problem. They may want to start pushing/feeling on the dash areas while the sound is coming out. If no ride along is possible, use your phone to video and sound record the condition; maybe have a family member do the dash video while recording the sound to be safe. Dealerships do not always hire the top tier employees.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
267 Posts
If you decide to take it to the dealer I am recommending you pre arrange one of the dealership to go on a test ride with you driving to demonstrate the problem. They may want to start pushing/feeling on the dash areas while the sound is coming out. If no ride along is possible, use your phone to video and sound record the condition; maybe have a family member do the dash video while recording the sound to be safe. Dealerships do not always hire the top tier employees.
That's exactly what I did with my 2018 OB Limited. I used a Cell phone and my wife recorded the rattling noise while I drove. She also pressed down in the area where it was rattling to show how it stopped the rattling. That was very helpful for the service techs since it pinpointed the area of the rattle.

Then I met with the service manager and we went on a test drive together so I could show him what happens while driving. I shared the Video as well. It took a couple of service appts to get resolved but they finally got it fixed. (That was in my 2018) I am about to upgrade to a 2020 and I anticipate this may need to happen again for various rattles. Rattles can make a luxurious ride in a top-of-the-line vehicle quite annoying. Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
585 Posts
That's exactly what I did with my 2018 OB Limited. I used a Cell phone and my wife recorded the rattling noise while I drove. She also pressed down in the area where it was rattling to show how it stopped the rattling. That was very helpful for the service techs since it pinpointed the area of the rattle.

Then I met with the service manager and we went on a test drive together so I could show him what happens while driving. I shared the Video as well. It took a couple of service appts to get resolved but they finally got it fixed. (That was in my 2018) I am about to upgrade to a 2020 and I anticipate this may need to happen again for various rattles. Rattles can make a luxurious ride in a top-of-the-line vehicle quite annoying. Good luck.
It is a shame you had to make a repeat visit(s) to get it fixed. The manager should have performed a test drive prior to releasing it to you the customer. I give your dealership an F for lack of proper effort to do their job. Did you do an online review(s)? It would help them do better.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
267 Posts
It is a shame you had to make a repeat visit(s) to get it fixed. The manager should have performed a test drive prior to releasing it to you the customer. I give your dealership an F for lack of proper effort to do their job. Did you do an online review(s)? It would help them do better.
Yes, I did fill out the survey and I also contacted Subaru Of America politely, but firmly. SOA totally stepped up and helped me get it resolved and offered a loyalty coupon toward a new Subaru that was over above anything I've seen here. I am very impressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

Any ways to remedy?

I can hear the rattle at around 1500 RPM as well, and sometimes at 2500 RPM. When I put it in reverse, I can still hear it at 800 RPM. I haven't found anywhere that i can press firmly to make the noise disappear yet. My car is a touringXT with 4000 miles on it and I have noticed since about 1000 miles. Did you have it fixed by any chance?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Onyx XT, Abyss Blue Pearl
20 Posts
Same here. Rattle at low speeds. Dealership says they drove it 6 miles and heard no abnormal sounds. Sigh. With this covid stuff, I decided to tackle this later. My biggest gripe with Subaru has been cabin sounds - wind, road, and dash rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
I assumed dash rattles were a Subaru feature. Our first three, 2 Legacys and one Outback, all had the rattle at one corner or another of the dash. My wife’s Onyx, so far, has no rattles and my new Legacy expected by 7/31 hopefully will not. But if it does then it will just sound like my current Legacy.

·
Registered
Crystal White Pearl 2020 Onyx Edition Xt
45 Posts
Mine does it as well, only under acceleration. I haven't taken it in yet either because I really don't want them taking my dash apart! I'm trying to live with it for now but I know this will eventually drive me nuts enough that it will go in to be checked.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
30 Posts
I have my Onyx XT at the dealer right now to take care of a dash vent rattle. I provided them a video recording of the sound, so I’m hopeful that they’ll figure it out. This is the third day that they’ve had the car, so clearly they have all their best and brightest working in shifts to sort it out! :p

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
30 Posts
The local dealer had my vehicle for 3 days last week investigating my dash rattle and achieved nothing. I provided them a video recording of the rattle, but apparently they they need to reproduce it before they will take any further action. Frankly, I’m not sure how any tech worth his salt could have missed it- after picking up my car Thursday I ran errands and heard it click, creak, and rattle 3 or 4 times over the course of 20 minutes.

I’ve documented the sound thoroughly by way of video/audio recordings. Its not a constant sound, but it happens on a regular basis.

I recorded it again just yesterday:

I’ve reached out to SOA to follow up on my complaint, and apparently my contact has referred it to their resolution team.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The local dealer had my vehicle for 3 days last week investigating my dash rattle and achieved nothing. I provided them a video recording of the rattle, but apparently they they need to reproduce it before they will take any further action. Frankly, I’m not sure how any tech worth his salt could have missed it- after picking up my car Thursday I ran errands and heard it click, creak, and rattle 3 or 4 times over the course of 20 minutes.

I’ve documented the sound thoroughly by way of video/audio recordings. Its not a constant sound, but it happens on a regular basis.

I’ve reached out to SOA to follow up on my complaint, and apparently my contact has referred it to their resolution team.
I went my dealership this weekend and they suspected the noise was coming from the AC line hitting a rack in the engine bay. They put a piece of cloth in between to dampen it and so far the noise seems to be disappeared. They would order some new pieces to replace the line soon. Maybe that's also what is happening to your car.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
30 Posts
Thanks! I’ll take a look and see if I can spot anything like that.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Exactly the rattle sound I was getting from my vents, dealer replaced my right side air vent and it rattles as bad as the original. It appears to be the second set of louvers in the vent that are the culprit on mine, the vertical ones behind the front horizontal ones. I stuck a piece of thick folded paper into the vent and the rattle stopped, so in my case I know its the air vents.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
30 Posts
Exactly the rattle sound I was getting from my vents, dealer replaced my right side air vent and it rattles as bad as the original. It appears to be the second set of louvers in the vent that are the culprit on mine, the vertical ones behind the front horizontal ones. I stuck a piece of thick folded paper into the vent and the rattle stopped, so in my case I know its the air vents.
Thanks, I think mine has to be the same thing. I’m gonna try wedging a piece of paper in and see if it quiets mine down as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 2020 Premium has a rattle from the eyesight module/roof panel. I believe it's the plastic piece around the rearview mirror loom rattling where it enters the panel on the windshield. I swore this was coming from the dash until i went crazy one day and started pushing on every surface i could reach while running down a rough road.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
30 Posts
@kebler - You are a genius! That solved it for me too. I slid a thin piece of felt underneath the lower edge of that second set of louvers and it’s quiet now. Many thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went my dealership this weekend and they suspected the noise was coming from the AC line hitting a rack in the engine bay. They put a piece of cloth in between to dampen it and so far the noise seems to be disappeared. They would order some new pieces to replace the line soon. Maybe that's also what is happening to your car.
I had my car in 2020 Outback in the shop last week and they said this was what was causing the rattling in my car as well.....they fixed it, and a week later the rattling has started again!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
@kebler - You are a genius! That solved it for me too. I slid a thin piece of felt underneath the lower edge of that second set of louvers and it’s quiet now. Many thanks!
Great !I painted my paper black so its not to obvious, maybe at some point I will make another attempt at a replacement,but for now I am happy the **** rattle is gone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts