Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, 2.5, Non-Turbo
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time since I’ve been here...still loving my 2013 Limited. Now I’m considering adding a 2nd Outback...but maybe instead a Tesla for the autopilot. That said, I’m seeing lots of posts that the 2020 Eyesight really can steer well and maintain appropriate speeds and distances. Questions...would appreciate any insights from owners...

1. Heavy traffic: Is it realistic to think Eyesight can help me in LA’s 5 mph bumper to bumper traffic, on and off the highway? Can I just sit back and monitor?

2. Steering: Is the lane-keeping functionality really good enough to use in the real world? Like Tesla, and I sit back and supervise only (yes I know it wants my hands on Steering Wheel and that’s fine).

Headed to the dealer; help appreciated!

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
If you don’t keep your hands on the steering wheel and provide at least some minimal steering input from time to time the system will cancel itself.

It’s really a driving aid, it’s not an auto pilot by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had my Limited XT for six weeks. It's a really marvelous thing on the freeway. I need to learn to trust it, I think. It navigates around fairly sharp turns in the bend with no problem. If the highway is well marked I don't think a slow speed should make it less efficient. It will come to a complete stop if the car in front stops and take off when that car moves.

My caveat is in using it around a rural area where the roads may not be well marked. I was on a county road when an intersecting road on my right suddenly appeared without any markings and it was a good stretch across that intersection before the road I was on would resume its markings. Eyesight lost track of the road and started to turn onto that road on our right. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend using it on anything except city streets and highways.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,170 Posts
Anybody actually referring to the rudimentary driver-assist features on the Outback as "autopilot" is kind of frightening.
I agree.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Anybody actually referring to the rudimentary driver-assist features on the Outback as "autopilot" is kind of frightening.
not as frightening as the people that actually think their Tesla actually has an auto pilot...and they wind up dead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts