Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So, I purchased the Onyx edition the other night. I noticed some glaring issues already with the new infotainment. I'll list some of them here to start:

1) it's very difficult to see the display when it's sunny outside. The front windows will be to be tinted.

2) Android Auto or Car Play looks really tiny. There's an empty space below it. Subaru should figure out how to extend AA and CP to use up the entire screen soon before they receive complaints from buyers.

3) The mic/call button on the steering wheel no longer launches Google Assistant on Android Auto. I had the 2017 Impreza prior to this and that button was really useful for me.

4) The factory default speaker setting sounds horrible. I had to shift the sound back to the front.

That's all for today. I'm sure I'll find more this weekend. I'll write an email to corporate with my findings. Maybe I'll drop it off at the HQ since I'm only 20 mins from there. 馃槃

Registered
2005 Outback XT.
Thanks for the report.

1. That's bad news re: the glare. I live in So. AZ. Lots of sun.
2. According to SOA, Apple Car play standard does not allow for a portrait mode, so nothing they can do about it. But I can see no reason why Android shouldn't be able to do it.
3. I wonder if there is some other way to do this.

Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
3) The mic/call button on the steering wheel no longer launches Google Assistant on Android Auto. I had the 2017 Impreza prior to this and that button was really useful for me.
This could be a HU bug, but it might also be because of your phone. It could even be because of a bad switch on the steering wheel, or a bad connection of the switch cluster with the HU.

You shouldn't have to be running AA to get the voice button on the steering wheel to work. It should work with BT only. Try that.

Also, when listening to a radio source, with some stations programmed, see if the forward/reverse buttons work. If they don't it's the steering wheel switch cluster connection to the HU most likely. Still could be a programming problem with the HU though.

Try those things.

You may need to get someone else's phone to determine if it is or is not an issue with your device.

Find someone with an Apple phone and see if the behavior is different with ACP and Siri.

Good luck!

Registered
1) it's very difficult to see the display when it's sunny outside. The front windows will be to be tinted.
Despite the litany of folks saying it would be fine, when every picture has it, you've got to be sure before you buy.

2) Android Auto or Car Play looks really tiny. There's an empty space below it. Subaru should figure out how to extend AA and CP to use up the entire screen soon before they receive complaints from buyers.
Also, kind of a known problem from the reviews. Doesn't really bother me in concept but that screen could get kind of busy with the other items.

That's a must have. Hope you get it figured out.

4) The factory default speaker setting sounds horrible. I had to shift the sound back to the front.
I was wondering about that. My hearing ain't what it used to be, so it's probably not a big deal, but it's definitely not the top-end speaker in the Onyx. Most of the stuff in the higher trims isn't very interesting, like the moonroof, nappa leather, driver focus, so it's a choice with the XT's. I'd probably sacrifice it because there isn't enough in the upper trims for me. Or, I'd go down to a 2.5 limited.

While I'm glad for the new technology, I miss the ability to pull head units and put your own stuff in. You could almost certainly plug a tablet into one of these and get almost all of the same functionality. Seems like I remember someone working on that...

Registered
well post malone is going to sound awful coming out of any stereo system :p

thanks for pic, it gives us a good idea of what its going to look like from the drivers seat. to me, its that space below the carplay section that is a waste. who the heck uses am/fm and sirius? getting a streaming subscription is cheaper than sirius. it seems like they prioritized functionality for old school technologies (oem nav, terrestial readio) rather than carplay. which is weird because it was the opposite on 18/19. those technologies are on their last legs.

1"!!! 1" wider is all they needed. what a shame.

Registered
2020 Outback touring XT - white. Previous 2015 Mazda CX-5
[QUOTE="index.php, post: 5881341, member:

[/QUOTE]

Found this in the Quick Start quide, page 55....
Voice Recognition: Press once to initiate the
built-in voice recognition system. If you have an
Android or Apple device paired, press and hold to initiate Google Assistant or Siri
functionality.

Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
Hi everyone,

So, I purchased the Onyx edition the other night. I noticed some glaring issues already with the new infotainment. I'll list some of them here to start:

That's all for today. I'm sure I'll find more this weekend. I'll write an email to corporate with my findings. Maybe I'll drop it off at the HQ since I'm only 20 mins from there. 馃槃
I would find these more to be "opinions" rather than "issues". I read this headline expecting technical problems like the last Gen with the HU.

1. I did not find this to be the case at all on my sunny Southern California test drive.

2. This is not all determined by the car maker - nor should it be in my opinion as that would lead to more problems with everyone doing different things to the feature - Everyone is complaining about the big screen but now everyone is saying apple play is too small on the screen. o_O How much is everyone staring at the screen while driving?

3. Looks like this was solved by someone reading the quick start guide which has over 55 pages?!?! Thats not a quick start guide. haha

4. factory default speakers typically arent great - and we already knew the onyx is not the best sound system available. Did you get the upgrade available for the onyx?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I would find these more to be "opinions" rather than "issues". I read this headline expecting technical problems like the last Gen with the HU.

1. I did not find this to be the case at all on my sunny Southern California test drive.

2. This is not all determined by the car maker - nor should it be in my opinion as that would lead to more problems with everyone doing different things to the feature - Everyone is complaining about the big screen but now everyone is saying apple play is too small on the screen. o_O How much is everyone staring at the screen while driving?

3. Looks like this was solved by someone reading the quick start guide which has over 55 pages?!?! Thats not a quick start guide. haha

4. factory default speakers typically arent great - and we already knew the onyx is not the best sound system available. Did you get the upgrade available for the onyx?
No need to be a smart ass here...

1) The glare issue is real. Test driving it for a few minutes is not the same as using it for a few hours in the real world.

2) The screen is about 5-6 inches wide. The information displayed in Google Maps and Waze is now limited thanks to the smaller display size. This is critical when there is no voice alert. During my long drive today, I noticed that most of the text (directions) on Waze were cut off.

3) I also figured it out after playing it some more today without touching the manual. The functionality was changed since the 2017 Impreza model to make it more difficult to use other voice assistance service. On the Impreza, you just need to hit the call button once -- no need to hold onto it.

4) The Premium and Onyx editions don't have premium audio. How does that make sense?

Registered

1) The glare issue is real. Test driving it for a few minutes is not the same as using it for a few hours in the real world.

2) The screen is about 5-6 inches wide. The information displayed in Google Maps and Waze is now limited thanks to the smaller display size. This is critical when there is no voice alert. During my long drive today, I noticed that most of the text (directions) on Waze were cut off.

3) I also figured it out after playing it some more today without touching the manual. The functionality was changed since the 2017 Impreza model to make it more difficult to use other voice assistance service. On the Impreza, you just need to hit the call button once -- no need to hold onto it.

4) The Premium and Onyx editions don't have premium audio. How does that make sense?
I have been driving my new 2020 Touring for 9 real world days since purchase...I have not seen a single problem with a glare issue, moon roof open or closed...this is in 100 degree Central Texas days! This is not test driving, again this is real world. I am sure the sun will hit the panel at the right angle unexpectedly, even when I pull down the sun visor to keep it out of my eyes; however, the glare issue, your argument not withstanding, is far from a real problem. No problem with screen size, period. The voice assistance is extremely easy and effective interfacing with the infotainment panel....wife and I hold down the steering wheel voice button only long enough to adjust a control, make a call or ask directions. Super easy.

Maybe it's because we use the standard map full screen button and have no idea what "Waze" is. Don't know, don't care.

You may have a unique situation. We are just average folks, maybe that's our problem?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I have been driving my new 2020 Touring for 9 real world days since purchase...I have not seen a single problem with a glare issue, moon roof open or closed...this is in 100 degree Central Texas days! This is not test driving, again this is real world. I am sure the sun will hit the panel at the right angle unexpectedly, even when I pull down the sun visor to keep it out of my eyes; however, the glare issue, your argument not withstanding, is far from a real problem. No problem with screen size, period. The voice assistance is extremely easy and effective interfacing with the infotainment panel....wife and I hold down the steering wheel voice button only long enough to adjust a control, make a call or ask directions. Super easy.

Maybe it's because we use the standard map full screen button and have no idea what "Waze" is. Don't know, don't care.

You may have a unique situation. We are just average folks, maybe that's our problem?
Have you used it with Android Auto or Car play? Maybe you're just using the built on apps and not paying too much attention to the screen?

There's definitely a glare on the screen. If you don't see it, something is definitely wrong which you. Check this video for example:

Registered
Have you used it with Android Auto or Car play? Maybe you're just using the built on apps and not paying too much attention to the screen?

There's definitely a glare on the screen. If you don't see it, something is definitely wrong which you. Check this video for example:

That video the screen still has the plastic film protection on it...

Registered

wasnt trying to be a smart ass. If it came off that way, I apologize.
I just read the title of the thread differently than you probably intended.

totally agree that the onyx should have had the option at least to get the best audio package.
It is the biggest mistake in my opinion of all the offerings.

Registered

as said - that is NOT a good example of the screen glaring - as the protective plastic is still on it - I can see the bubbles!

My 2013 Limited has a screen - and its hard to see in the right (wrong) sun angle too - I live in LA - where its full sun like 75% of the year. My cell phone does the same thing - as does the silver trim around my screen in the car. This car is no different to me than the 2013 - just more surface area on the screen. Pictures of brightness and glare from a cell phone are also NOT representative of real life as the phone camera doesnt handle contrast as well as our eyes do - so it tends to blow out bright things or dim them, depending on the brightness in the whole shot. So I wouldn't trust any camera photo/video to be representative anyway.
This is a non issue as far as I'm concerned. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but I dont see anything different than what my 2013 does in the sun.

Registered
I have a different question on the infotainment screen that just occurred me to. How does it look with polarized sunglasses?

Registered
I have a different question on the infotainment screen that just occurred me to. How does it look with polarized sunglasses?
same as all screens. tilt your head, and it gets a little wonky.
I wore my polarized glasses while testing driving- wasn't any different than my 2013 screen.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Two more issues I've discovered today:

1) the Enable Start/Stop setting isn't saving -- it'll revert back to the original after the car is turned off

2) you can not change the climate setting off if the screen is off
That video the screen still has the plastic film protection on it...
There's no plastic film on there... TIt looks like there is but there isn't. I triple checked mine also.
same as all screens. tilt your head, and it gets a little wonky.
I wore my polarized glasses while testing driving- wasn't any different than my 2013 screen.
Lol. I was just going to say the same. I always have one on while driving. Looks the same on or off. I even set the brightness to max. I really hope Subaru can fix this with a software update by making it brighter.

Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT

1) the Enable Start/Stop setting isn't saving -- it'll revert back to the original after the car is turned off

There's no plastic film on there... TIt looks like there is but there isn't. I triple checked mine also.

Lol. I was just going to say the same. I always have one on while driving. Looks the same on or off. I even set the brightness to max. I really hope Subaru can fix this with a software update by making it brighter.
The Start/Stop resetting is annoying; I created a shortcut on the homepage to quickly get to the setting.

Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT

The plastic film is clearly still on the screen in the video you posted. Even in the thumbnail you can see the edges of the plastic and the white pull tab with the QR code on it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts