Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
1) the Enable Start/Stop setting isn't saving -- it'll revert back to the original after the car is turned off
Yes, that's the complaint - that it's not persistent. Otherwise, it would be no problem.

There's no plastic film on there... TIt looks like there is but there isn't. I triple checked mine also.
They meant in the video that you referenced.

Lol. I was just going to say the same. I always have one on while driving. Looks the same on or off. I even set the brightness to max. I really hope Subaru can fix this with a software update by making it brighter.
Brightness on ours is fine. You can make it pretty darn bright. You know that independent of the brightness setting it's also controlled along with the rest of the lighting through the little dash lighting control wheel too right?

^ Edit to add: Actually looking at it again the two brightness adjustments aren't different. It's just an either/or choice determined by the toggle on that screen settings menu. They both do the same thing just a matter or whether you want the screen to adjust with the dash lighting or independent of it.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
There's no plastic film on there... TIt looks like there is but there isn't. I triple checked mine also.
Dude. The label on the film is visible there on the left of the screen where it’s easier to peel off. There are lots of reviews with it on if the car is borrowed from a dealership.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
545 Posts
There's some glare for sure, but it's never too bad that you can't see it, and it's easy to move your head slightly. Looks fine with polarized sunglasses on - no noticable difference.

I actually find ours a bit too bright, especially at night, and now that I know it can be controlled will be turning it down a bit :)

Bummer about the start stop - but I'm guessing it'll be fixed in a software update. I actually like the feature and keep it turned on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The glare. The designers screwed up. It they would have made this more straight up and down with less agle there would be much less glare. They could have slightly recessed the screen this would have blocked the glare. I have been in a few other cars and paying attention to the screen and glare. Most are straight up and down and there is 0 glare. We would not even be talking about this if they made some tweaks.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
93 Posts
Hi everyone,

So, I purchased the Onyx edition the other night. I noticed some glaring issues already with the new infotainment. I'll list some of them here to start:

1) it's very difficult to see the display when it's sunny outside. The front windows will be to be tinted.

2) Android Auto or Car Play looks really tiny. There's an empty space below it. Subaru should figure out how to extend AA and CP to use up the entire screen soon before they receive complaints from buyers.

3) The mic/call button on the steering wheel no longer launches Google Assistant on Android Auto. I had the 2017 Impreza prior to this and that button was really useful for me.

4) The factory default speaker setting sounds horrible. I had to shift the sound back to the front.

That's all for today. I'm sure I'll find more this weekend. I'll write an email to corporate with my findings. Maybe I'll drop it off at the HQ since I'm only 20 mins from there. 😄

With the phone connected using AA I just say "Hey Googlel" without pressing steering wheel button and works fine.....thats on my 18 OB and I tried it on the new 20 OB LTD the other day and it worked....steering wheen button didnt work for google

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
93 Posts
[QUOTE="index.php, post: 5881341, member:

3) The mic/call button on the steering wheel no longer launches Google Assistant on Android Auto. I had the 2017 Impreza prior to this and that button was really useful for me.
Found this in the Quick Start quide, page 55....
Voice Recognition: Press once to initiate the
built-in voice recognition system. If you have an
Android or Apple device paired, press and hold to initiate Google Assistant or Siri
functionality.
[/QUOTE]
Without pressing the button I just say "OK Google" and it works fine. Thats on my 18 OB LTD, but tried it on the 20 OB LTD and still works.........I also said in another post that the AA display is a big disappointment.....my phone display is bigger.....I did send a note to AA to see of something could be done with portrait rendering....my 18 OB AA display is much nicer and bigger.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,304 Posts
The non-persistent aspect of the S/S setting is per design. It's supposed to revert back to enabled on the next engine start.

Has someone with a '20 determined that a LONG-PRESS of the voice button causes the Google Assistant to activate? Sure you can set the GA to recognize "OK Google", but in my '19 I have that turned off.

The issue in my '19 is that I cannot get a SHORT-PRESS of the button to send the vocal command to the Head Unit... The Assistant tries to handle it and doesn't know how. I hope this is fixed in a firmware update.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
150 Posts
Have you used it with Android Auto or Car play? Maybe you're just using the built on apps and not paying too much attention to the screen?

There's definitely a glare on the screen. If you don't see it, something is definitely wrong which you. Check this video for example:

[The adaptive cruise control] "will actually follow the car behind you. That's pretty incredible!"
Yes that would be pretty incredible. I think he meant that the adaptive cruise control will maintain a set distance from the car in FRONT of you -assuming the car in front of you stays in your lane and it does not exceed your preset speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 Outback Limited XT that I bought 6 days ago and now the sound does not work. Everything in the infotainment screen seems fine but no sound comes out of the speakers on any mode, including the phone. Any thoughts or other recommendations for a fix? The dealership said to turn the car on and off and to read the audio manual, which I thought was a terrific response to a broken brand new car but nonetheless, did not resolve the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When using CarPlay I cannot source my music media on my usb. Anyone know a fix? Ps. My unit also had the equalizer default reset problem but it seems to have gone away.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
698 Posts
There are some other threads on this, if you search around. But it may help to reformat the USB stick using FAT32 file format. (Saving the files temporarily elsewhere, before reformatting, of course.....)

The USB stock I tried using didn't work at first - it wasn't even detected or recognized. I can't recall what file format it was using, though. After reformatting it as FAT32, it worked fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are some other threads on this, if you search around. But it may help to reformat the USB stick using FAT32 file format. (Saving the files temporarily elsewhere, before reformatting, of course.....)

The USB stock I tried using didn't work at first - it wasn't even detected or recognized. I can't recall what file format it was using, though. After reformatting it as FAT32, it worked fine.
I’m afraid I wasn’t clear. I DO have good access to my fat32 formatted usb thumb drive of music in normal nonCarplay mode by selecting Source>usb. It’s when I use CarPlay that I can only use my iPhone music which in my case is minimal and can’t access my usb music. I haven’t yet tested my access to radio during CarPlay; I will double check that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As mentioned, the issue with the Infotainment screen for 2020 Outback and Legacy not being user friendly can be addressed with a software update. I called Subaru 1-800-782-2783 to voice my concern re the screen size for Waze and Andriod Auto. They logged my complaint and started a case file. If others call, hopefully Subaru will be motivated....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Radio not working again. Hopefully after it sits for a bit it will come back on.
You should schedule an appointment with your dealership ASAP. While you're there, hey them to address that open recall that just came out.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Wh

What was the open Recall about?

21 - 40 of 72 Posts