Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited, Tungsten/Ivory
218 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback Limited. I believe that was the first year of that HK System and it took a good year and a half with updates and a dead head unit replacement before it was ultimately stable. Seems like this new 11.6 Infotainment system has a long way to go before being stable. I have been considering an "upgrade" to the 2020 Outback. It is enhanced and improved in many ways, but I am spooked by the Infotainment issues I keep reading about. Screen lag times, wading through multiple screens to access certain functions. (Maybe that's just a matter of familiarity and not a big deal but it is concerning) ...and the start up boot time is how long?? Hmmm

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback Limited. I believe that was the first year of that HK System and it took a good year and a half with updates and a dead head unit replacement before it was ultimately stable. Seems like this new 11.6 Infotainment system has a long way to go before being stable. I have been considering an "upgrade" to the 2020 Outback. It is enhanced and improved in many ways, but I am spooked by the Infotainment issues I keep reading about. Screen lag times, wading through multiple screens to access certain functions. (Maybe that's just a matter of familiarity and not a big deal but it is concerning) ...and the start up boot time is how long?? Hmmm
The boot up time is just a few seconds. I haven't found it to slow me down. The lag isn't that bad in my experience,

Yes settings are buried - in particular the start-stop but even that's "only" 3 key presses.

If you need a new car now, I would recommend the 2020 Outback warts and all. If you can wait for 2021 that would be prudent, as it is with any new generation or new model vehicle to skip the intro year.

There's a fellow 2020 Outback owner that has extensive videos on the infotainment if you want to take a deep dive.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT - Crystal White Pearl
12 Posts
Maybe I am an outlier.... and I realize that many comments on these forums are opinions, not facts (mine included), but there is nothing about my car that I actually "hate". Yes, there are somethings I wish were a little different. Maybe they will get updated and maybe they won't .. But nothing drastic enough that it changes my opinion about the car.

I do agree certain items are buried in the HU screens but between the VR and CarPlay, I hardly ever actually use the settings via physical touch anyway. I don't really like heated seats so that doesn't matter to me one bit. Fan speed, temp, etc. I use VR and it works 99% of the time. CarPlay for my Apple Music and Maps works 99% of the time but yes I wish it was full screen.

This is my 6th Subie since 2014 (lease a new Subie every year) and it is hands-down 1,000,000% my favorite car and favorite Subie I have ever had.

I also understand that my positive opinion and experience does not and should not diminish anyone's opinion who has had a negative experience. Just wanted to give a positive difference of opinion. :cool:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Found this in the Quick Start quide, page 55....
Voice Recognition: Press once to initiate the
built-in voice recognition system. If you have an
Android or Apple device paired, press and hold to initiate Google Assistant or Siri
functionality.
While I'm responding to a very old thread, I wanted to point something out.

This is the best feature ever and those that are complaining I'm guessing haven't spent much time in other vehicles with AA. In other vehciles, since the voice recognition is tied to AA, you can't use it for ANYTHING else. It sucks in other vehicles. If you wanted to use voice for anything outside of AA, you have to exit AA. This shows Subaru engineers were on top of their game.

I'd kill for this in my Ford.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting. Who is claiming this? I have to say, I’m skeptical after hearing from multiple people who seemed to be “in the know” about the December, then, January update. Is this one more trustworthy or just more wishful thinking?
I will not buy the 2020 Touring XT I had been planning on until I see an infotainment system software upgrade and know what and how the system functions after the rumored upgrade. Given how much functionality is encompassed by the infotainment system and how sketchy some of the functions are (S/S not readily accessed, small heat seater interface) the way the infotainment system has been initially implemented does not make me confident in Subaru's UI implementation and design decisions. I'm regarding infotainment system enhancements as a fond hope. I'll be waiting and watching.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
545 Posts
I will not buy the 2020 Touring XT I had been planning on until I see an infotainment system software upgrade and know what and how the system functions after the rumored upgrade. Given how much functionality is encompassed by the infotainment system and how sketchy some of the functions are (S/S not readily accessed, small heat seater interface) the way the infotainment system has been initially implemented does not make me confident in Subaru's UI implementation and design decisions. I'm regarding infotainment system enhancements as a fond hope. I'll be waiting and watching.
Yeah, if an update to infotainment is why you’re holding out, I’d just look at different options. IMO it’s still a very good system despite a few minor flaws that can largely be worked around easily (like S/S, fan speeds, etc), but if the current system is a deal breaker I doubt any upgrades will make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I forgot the smiley face! 😊 sorry

I'm assuming you are joking, but if you are not, the point was there is nothing new about potential glare on a screen in an outback. It was being presented like this new big problem in the 2020. My point was its no different then even a much older outback (2 gens back).
Anyway, I literally factory ordered my 2020 Sept 21st, the day I posted that comment.

·
Registered
‘20 Outback XT Limited, ‘01 Honda S2000
49 Posts
Also, A faster shortcut for S/S. Thats directly from SOA
Where are you seeing that directly from SOA?

The Facebook post linked is not from SOA. Just a guy claiming the GM of a dealership told him. Not saying he’s wrong, but that’s hardly a reliable source.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
157 Posts
Well, I'll definitely log an issue with the Infotainment and it's ability to recognize the play songs from the USB drive. I just had my 3rd time where the HU did not recognize my USB connected. Since I was in a car park, I just switched on and off and it recognized it. Now, this was a new USB drive, Sandisk 64Gb (last one was 32Gb). Seems like no rhyme or reason as to when this happens, just happens... wth...

61 - 72 of 72 Posts