Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2020 Outback for a few months now and although the large screen and features of the audio system are nice, it periodically emits zero sound at all on any setting. Bluetooth, radio, XM, all have no sound at all. Plugged in, Bluetooth only, Bluetooth and plugged in, multiple phones, nothing resolves it. Restarting the phones and restarting the car does not resolve it. For some reason the car has to be turned off, for some number of hours, and then restarted, and it'll work again inexplicably.

I imagine others must have had this problem as well? Hoping to hear what the resolution is. On a brand new vehicle, I certainly don't want to live with this for the next three years.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,917 Posts
I've had my 2020 Outback for a few months now and although the large screen and features of the audio system are nice, it periodically emits zero sound at all on any setting. Bluetooth, radio, XM, all have no sound at all. Plugged in, Bluetooth only, Bluetooth and plugged in, multiple phones, nothing resolves it. Restarting the phones and restarting the car does not resolve it. For some reason the car has to be turned off, for some number of hours, and then restarted, and it'll work again inexplicably.

I imagine others must have had this problem as well? Hoping to hear what the resolution is. On a brand new vehicle, I certainly don't want to live with this for the next three years.
You didn't say which audio system you have, but someone else with the rockford fosgate option had a similar issue. You have to take it back to the dealer to fix.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,917 Posts
Just this regular radio that comes in the premium with no options.
You may not like this suggestion, but people have reported that when the infotainment system glitches, disconnecting the battery for a minute and then re-connecting it fixes the problem. I still think you should take it to Subaru, but you could try this yourself. Some have reported that after doing the battery disconnect/reconnect thing, the problems did not return.

·
Registered
2020, Outback Onyx Edition White
6 Posts
I had this happen once right after starting it I noticed the radio was not on. I tried to adjust it, also tried to make a phone call with no sound. I pulled over shut off car and restarted. Still nothing. I called the dealership and took it in. When they restarted the car it worked. Monitoring now and has not happened since.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchased my 2020 Outback Premium in December. Have had three instances radio/sound stops working. The only fix has been shutting down vehicle and restarting. The display continues to show my connection with the station and attempts to adjust volume/mute, etc. Most recently while changing stations which was proceeded with a 'screech' then silence until we stopped and restarted the vehicle.

Spoke to the technology expert at my dealership yesterday and he was not aware of similar problems so I send him a link to this site for education purposes.

Next time I will try the suggestion of turning off display and holding button in for 10+ seconds. Perhaps that will 'reboot' the unit?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,917 Posts
Purchased my 2020 Outback Premium in December. Have had three instances radio/sound stops working.
Did you have this update performed?

Depending on when your car was built (August-September-October 2019), this other one might also apply:

·
Registered
26 Posts

I have the same issue. They have already replaced the radio. This is the 4th time I have brought it in. I don't want to live like this for three years, either. It will probably end up being a recall item.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,917 Posts
I have the same issue. They have already replaced the radio. This is the 4th time I have brought it in. I don't want to live like this for three years, either. It will probably end up being a recall item.
There is a new 504 update for the infotainment system available now.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I am having the same problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having the same problem, my 2020 Outback Onyx has had this happen twice - no radio for the ride to work and also cannot use the system to make or receive phone calls. Shut the car off and on and the problem is still there, shut it off and let it sit for an hour and it is fine until the next time.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,917 Posts
I am having the same problem, my 2020 Outback Onyx has had this happen twice - no radio for the ride to work and also cannot use the system to make or receive phone calls. Shut the car off and on and the problem is still there, shut it off and let it sit for an hour and it is fine until the next time.
You should let the dealer know about this problem and this TSB might be applicable:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is an update which needs to be done at the dealership. While it has solved the issue most of the time, it has not solved it all the time. Subaru is VERY aware of this issue. It would be nice if were were compensated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You didn't say which audio system you have, but someone else with the rockford fosgate option had a similar issue. You have to take it back to the dealer to fix.
Hello, I have the large screen & took delivery of my 2020 Outback Onyx in August of 2020. I had a 2014 & 2017 prior. The stereo frequently loses pairing, & cannot be re-paired with devices. It is hit or miss as to if & or when the unit re-pairs.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,917 Posts
Hello, I have the large screen & took delivery of my 2020 Outback Onyx in August of 2020. I had a 2014 & 2017 prior. The stereo frequently loses pairing, & cannot be re-paired with devices. It is hit or miss as to if & or when the unit re-pairs.
Hi Willyc - the dealer can update your infotainment software to version 504 - by now all dealerships should be aware of it. The updated software makes the system much more reliable and since I had it installed I have only had the system have trouble if I plug the phone in before I start the car, or if the android system changes (like when I changed from 10 to 11). If you have an Apple then you get full screen CarPlay.

·
Registered
26 Posts

You need to take your car in for the update. It's not perfect, but much better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have this problem with my 2020 Outback Touring. Problem usually starts after I have switched audio functions a few times quickly. Only after shutting off the car, exiting, and then coming back several minutes later does the sound system "magically" work again. Weird. Does anyone know of a fix?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts