Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
I also have this problem with my 2020 Outback Touring. Problem usually starts after I have switched audio functions a few times quickly. Only after shutting off the car, exiting, and then coming back several minutes later does the sound system "magically" work again. Weird. Does anyone know of a fix?
Do you know what your infotainment software version is? If it's version -704 then it's known to be unstable.

There is yet another software update to version -380 (it's newer and better than the old -504) that the dealer can install - it may help with stability. If not, then you might need a new CCU (the brains behind the infotainment screen). Your experience is not typical so it's possible you have a defective unit but the software update might help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may not like this suggestion, but people have reported that when the infotainment system glitches, disconnecting the battery for a minute and then re-connecting it fixes the problem. I still think you should take it to Subaru, but you could try this yourself. Some have reported that after doing the battery disconnect/reconnect thing, the problems did not return.
I’m having the same issue. The car has to be turned off for several hours. I’ve read about a lot of these issues with the infotainment system. I haven’t heard about the battery disconnect:connect as a solution. I’ve heard a possible update may help

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had my 2020 OB Limited XT a little over one year when I started the car after shopping and it said "no audio available". The next morning it was normal again. A couple weeks later after starting the car it said "nothing connected" when I tried to play my USB, which is how I listen to music 95% of the time. The radio was still working, but not the "media" setting. I discovered that by scrolling the "bluetooth", USB", bar away from USB and then back again started the USB to work again. It a Harman Kardon audio system.
Also around the same time, a week or so ago, nothing happened when I attempted to turn on my fog lights. The switch setting was ignored. The next time I started the car it was working as normal. This all started in the 13th month of ownership. I don't know whether the two issues are related. I'll take it up with the dealer soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Willyc - the dealer can update your infotainment software to version 504 - by now all dealerships should be aware of it. The updated software makes the system much more reliable and since I had it installed I have only had the system have trouble if I plug the phone in before I start the car, or if the android system changes (like when I changed from 10 to 11). If you have an Apple then you get full screen CarPlay.
Hello & thank you for the information. The dealer did the update a few weeks ago & the problem occurred again about 2 weeks after. They have the unit now but have not yet had a problem with it. I may have to get it back from them, wait until it happens again, & drive it in when it is in the error state. The only way that I have managed to get the unit to pair again is to reset the unit to the factory defaults. It then works for another couple of weeks & loses pairing again.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
Some units are physically defective - if this continues to happen and the dealer cannot resolve it then I'd call Subaru of America to complain: 1 (800) 782-2783

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my 2020 Outback for a few months now and although the large screen and features of the audio system are nice, it periodically emits zero sound at all on any setting. Bluetooth, radio, XM, all have no sound at all. Plugged in, Bluetooth only, Bluetooth and plugged in, multiple phones, nothing resolves it. Restarting the phones and restarting the car does not resolve it. For some reason the car has to be turned off, for some number of hours, and then restarted, and it'll work again inexplicably.

I imagine others must have had this problem as well? Hoping to hear what the resolution is. On a brand new vehicle, I certainly don't want to live with this for the next three years.
Mine is fixed by dealer installing updated system software. Problem of silence has not recurred. Also nice to be able to turn off auto stop start engine function on Home Screen. Next step according to dealer would be to replace sound system amp. Or necessary yet on mine.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts