Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our Limited for 2 weeks, and I am impressed with everything but the lane centering. Most of our driving is on 2 lane roads, much of it at 45-55 MPH.

The system seems to hug the interior line much more than the road edge, both sets of lines are repainted every Summer. Other than color and sometimes double lines on the center in places, both edges are well marked. It has almost veered into opposing traffic on more than one occasion and I'm a bit leery of using it now. I suppose on a multi-lane highway this might not be as much of a potential disaster...

Is there any user level adjustment to favor the road edge rather than the center?

Thanks from Whidbey Island.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
735 Posts
Watching this thread closely. My Limited XT seems to want to push me closer to the RH edge than I am accustomed to driving. It might be that I've been favoring the LH /center line for the last 45 years but it seems I'm always fighting to pull it back .

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
In numerous threads, people notice that lane centering keeps the vehicle too far to the right compared to what they are accustomed to. To make matters worse, if while lane centering is active, you try to "correct" the lane centering by trying to hold the car slightly to the left, then suddenly let go of the steering wheel, the lane centering could over-correct and move the car further to the right and in rare instances, entering into the next lane. It's happened to me and others, and that's why I don't use it.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,289 Posts
It has almost veered into opposing traffic on more than one occasion and I'm a bit leery of using it now.
One thing I've noticed that you have to be VERY careful about is when there has been road work - with temporary marks that were later sanded off. I've had lane centering mess up slightly where the sanded things were of more contrast than the actual lines.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
735 Posts
To be honest, I've started just leaving it off the last couple of days . Beyond the constant tugging on two lane roads, I think it tends to lull the driver into not paying as much attention to the road as is prudent. ( It has that effect on me anyway.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm curious if this is something the dealer can fix as well. It seems like the car first hunts for the right line and tries to find that, then correct some to "center" it. Which leads to usually just hugging the right line. I've also had mine jerk very hard to the right on multiple occasions, twice where it would've taken me into the next lane over. It has reached the point where it feels dangerous and we just keep it off now.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
266 Posts
I have found that over time the system seems to be working better, almost as if it is learning, but possibly it's just me learning to adapt to its quirks. What is really impressive is how it will accurately track all the way down to zero mph, and also works if only one lane line is visible. Even had a situation recently with no lane lines and it still tracked the car ahead. In all instances it's wise to monitor, but overall have been very impressed. I have also found that it is much smoother if I don't like what it is doing to just switch it off. As many others have said, if you overpower it and then release it, it likes to surge back in the opposite direction, so much smoother to just switch it off when you need to (like passing a large truck), and then switch it back on when you're ready.

·
Registered
‘20 Outback XT Limited, ‘01 Honda S2000
49 Posts
Yeah, I'm really disappointed with the lane centering. Mine hugs the right line way too closely. If left to it's own devices (just barely hold the wheel), the entire car ping-pongs back and forth all the way down the road. The active cruise control is really impressive.

My 2018 Accord was world better with lane centering, but the subaru is better with ACC.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
7 Posts
I also feel that mine hugs the LEFT line too much for my comfort especially on the highway it seems like it wants to go into the left lane. It hasn't but seems too close to me. I confess it may be my driving just my initial observations.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I also feel that mine hugs the LEFT line too much for my comfort especially on the highway it seems like it wants to go into the left lane. It hasn't but seems too close to me. I confess it may be my driving just my initial observations.
Interesting that your car seems to be hugging the left while most of us feel it's too far to the right. I purposely hug the left when driving. Do you normally drive hugging the right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting that your car seems to be hugging the left while most of us feel it's too far to the right. I purposely hug the left when driving. Do you normally drive hugging the right?
On the two lane roads around here I prefer to hug the right while the Outback seems to prefer the left. If it is actually "learning" how I drive then it's only been 500 miles so far.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
On the two lane roads around here I prefer to hug the right while the Outback seems to prefer the left. If it is actually "learning" how I drive then it's only been 500 miles so far.
My car is also at about 500 miles. It almost seems like the Outback is psychic and hugs the side of the road you don't want to, though I don't think the lane centering learns your preference for position within the lane. Maybe it's trying to stay dead center, and that's why if someone is used to hugging one side or the other, it feels wrong. One of these days I'll ask someone to follow me and let me know whether the car is dead center or not. It would help if we could turn the front facing camera on above 5mph to verify lane position but I understand why they don't want us staring at the screen while driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Around here, the interstate (I-90) gets grooves from all the people who use studded snow tires. They have to grind off the top of the highway and maybe resurface every 4 - 5 years.

The lane centering seems to fall into these grooves and pull itself out. Car keeps jockying back and forth. Manually, you chose either left or right and stay out of the grooves.

On smooth lanes, it seems pretty good, no real preference left to right

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine tends to favor the left side. When going around curves, my tires hit the reflectors in the middle.
This what I've been noticing, too, it crossed me into the oncoming lane a few times on several curves; I turned it off, and left it off, I figure at least I know I'm more likely to favor the shoulder-side, safely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine favors the left side and will over-correct if I'm holding to the right and let it go. I really don't understand why they even have this feature.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts