Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the vehicle yesterday, however there is a TSB (loose brake pedal screw iirc) before it can be released; currently driving a loaner.

Abyss Blue Pearl. Nav option with moonroof and RAB.

I can’t wait to take advantage of this platform.

We also have a 2018 Crosstrek Limited with the new global platform - it drives really well but with way more power haha.

Planning on getting a boat soon since it’s rated at 3500 lbs - fresh/salt since I live close to the gulf (Houston) - any recommendations? I’m still in the research phase.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Question - did you order the factory hitch receiver? If so, is it a 2” or 1 1/4”? Ordering my car but neither dealer not parts can tell me the receiver size.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's exactly the one I want, including color. Did the dealer work with you on price, or was it pretty much MSRP, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had a dealer tell me he thought it would be 2" since the ascent uses that size, but he really didn't know. They haven't even got brochures yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for replying. There is something to be said for getting exactly what you want, when you want it, and not wasting your time, even if that means paying a bit more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
stonepa, the Subaru hitch is a 1 1/4” Class 2 hitch. If you want a 2” Class 3 hitch, you have to go aftermarket. No one has made one yet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Planning on getting a boat soon since it’s rated at 3500 lbs - fresh/salt since I live close to the gulf (Houston) - any recommendations? I’m still in the research phase.

View attachment 470540
Kind of like asking which vehicle should I buy.

How do you like to fish now? What kind of expectations? Jon boat, skiff, flats boat? It matters.
If you fish bass in fresh water and trout/reds in salt then a flats boat, probably 16-17’, would be perfect. 18-19’ models super but too heavy for the Outback unless you go Kevlar. Install a good combo sounder/gps, hand held vhf, and a trolling motor. Power pole if you can afford it.

Lots of good ones from Maverick, Hewes, and many others. Watch overall weight including gas and gear to not push that 3500 lb limit. I’d go with a 60-70 hp four stroke motor, maybe a 90 but they weigh more. A high quality aluminum trailer with stainless components will be worth it in the long run. Salt water is relentless.

You will need a 2” receiver unless it’s a jon boat or a jet ski.

Luck,

EJ in coastal FL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome! I’m hoping to test drive one soon. I currently drive a my13 XV Crosstrek with 153,000 miles and am looking to get a new car around Christmas and really like the Onyx XT. Any chance when you get it back, could you take a picture of the spare tire in the trunk? I can’t find any pics online and wanted to see if it was the same rim and tire as the rest. Thanks! Looking forward to updates. I also want to get the hitch installed from Subaru if I get it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Awesome! I’m hoping to test drive one soon. I currently drive a my13 XV Crosstrek with 153,000 miles and am looking to get a new car around Christmas and really like the Onyx XT. Any chance when you get it back, could you take a picture of the spare tire in the trunk? I can’t find any pics online and wanted to see if it was the same rim and tire as the rest. Thanks! Looking forward to updates. I also want to get the hitch installed from Subaru if I get it.
It's the same time. I saw the spare tire.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thoughts on if it could pull a 16' fishing pontoon with listed 1350 dry weight? Add to that some gear, cooler, trolling motor, 40-50 hp motor, fuel, and trailer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ask your boat dealer to spec it out and estimate total weight and the tongue weight. Sounds like upper part of the range of 3500 max with the boat, motor, gear, gas, etc. If it’s close, I’d consider a trailer with surge brakes in any case. Going is a lot easier than stopping.

One thing to remember, the OB isn’t a real heavy duty towing vehicle, even the new model. Does the XT have a towing package? Most tow vehicles have an option for towing to include a transmission cooler, heavier shocks, etc. if not I’d be conservative on what you tow. I had one on my previous tow vehicle, which had a 4,500 lb max and a six cylinder, 260 hp regular auto transmission. And surge brakes on the dual axle trailer.

My opinion, anyway. Ask your Subaru dealer or maybe it’s a good question for the forum as a separate thread. I’ve never towed anything with my three Subaru’s.

EJ

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I purchased the vehicle yesterday, however there is a TSB (loose brake pedal screw iirc) before it can be released; currently driving a loaner.

We also have a 2018 Crosstrek Limited with the new global platform - it drives really well but with way more power haha.

View attachment 470540
Very pretty OB. Nice color. Just a suggestion, but if you plan to launch a trailered boat in salt water boat ramps, you may want to spray the underside of your OB with Fluid-film. It’s a Lanolin based petroleum oil. Available from Amazon, Lowe’s or Home Depot. Here in the NE US, where we salt our roads heavily in winter, Fluid film has always worked well to mitigate rust for my cars and Jeeps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very pretty OB. Nice color. Just a suggestion, but if you plan to launch a trailered boat in salt water boat ramps, you may want to spray the underside of your OB with Fluid-film. It’s a Lanolin based petroleum oil. Available from Amazon, Lowe’s or Home Depot. Here in the NE US, where we salt our roads heavily in winter, Fluid film has always worked well to mitigate rust for my cars and Jeeps.

I’ve been mulling over rust proofing the underside of the car and suspension components. I originally thought I would give ballistol a try but fluid film might be a better option. I was thinking ballistol for rubber bushings and things to keep them pliable over time. And I’m going to try and keep a healthy covering of sonus motor coat on the engine.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I’ve been mulling over rust proofing the underside of the car and suspension components. I originally thought I would give ballistol a try but fluid film might be a better option. I was thinking ballistol for rubber bushings and things to keep them pliable over time. And I’m going to try and keep a healthy covering of sonus motor coat on the engine.
I haven’t tried Ballistol on my car, I have used it on my firearms with good results. I wouldn’t suggest Fluid Film on rubber parts as it is petroleum based. I spray FF on all the metal parts and up it tight places water can go and use a rubber protectant product on the rubber parts. Aerospace 303 and Mother’s Protectant are two that I use on rubber and plastic bits. Also avoid brake parts all together.

·
Registered
29 Posts

View attachment 470540
Congrats!! That's what I want! Hope to see more pics when you can...Subaru Blue changes a lot

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
About this Discussion
95 Replies
21 Participants
Mike A.
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing