Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,679 Posts
I found this article helpful re: sealant vs wax vs ceramic.

What I got from the article was, if you baby the car, never take it out in inclement weather and the car has soft paint don't ceramic coat it. If on the other hand you do the above and daily drive your car, then absolutely get ceramic coating :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
93 Posts
What I got from the article was, if you baby the car, never take it out in inclement weather and the car has soft paint don't ceramic coat it. If on the other hand you do the above and daily drive your car, then absolutely get ceramic coating :)
For me living in Colorado with lots of dirty winter driving, I thought perhaps a sealant seemed a better match.

The vehicle that would be better off with a sealant:
  • Is a daily driver that gets abused
  • Gets very dirty, and isn’t washed right away
  • Likely to be scratched or dented
  • Owned by someone who’s budget conscious
  • Neglected rather than babied

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had never heard of ceramic coatings until Mr. Cantu brought it up...in looking through a lot of products on Amazon, one person's treasure is another persons trash! All kinds of opinions! Article is pretty good, but I think we all have favorites. I generally look at the overrall Amazon ratings for products that have a lot of reviews. I'm doing my first Clay Bar ever this weekend on my 1998 Porsche Boxster. Good car to practice on since it isn't worth much. Gameplan on that is to then use up the last of my Carnauba wax. Been looking at Ceramic and may do that next year sometime.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,679 Posts
I had never heard of ceramic coatings until Mr. Cantu brought it up...in looking through a lot of products on Amazon, one person's treasure is another persons trash! All kinds of opinions! Article is pretty good, but I think we all have favorites. I generally look at the overrall Amazon ratings for products that have a lot of reviews. I'm doing my first Clay Bar ever this weekend on my 1998 Porsche Boxster. Good car to practice on since it isn't worth much. Gameplan on that is to then use up the last of my Carnauba wax. Been looking at Ceramic and may do that next year sometime.
Hey, I would not recommend going off of Amazon reviews for ceramic coatings. Most reviewers there do not know what they are talking about when it comes to ceramic coatings. Stick to tried and tested coatings like Optimum Gloss Coat.

From the same website posted above:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey, I would not recommend going off of Amazon reviews for ceramic coatings. Most reviewers there do not know what they are talking about when it comes to ceramic coatings. Stick to tried and tested coatings like Optimum Gloss Coat.

From the same website posted above:

No way!
Was looking at comments on Shine Armor Ceramic Spray. Very highly rated product with over 4000 ratings.
One person questioned if that spray was effective applied over a clear bra.
The answer was " i dont believe it is effective on any kind of underwear" lolol

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
I personally recommend Car Pro CQuartz UK 3.0 - it last a long while and its as easy (more forgiving) to apply even in hot, humid weather.

True, you can go with a sealant, but I personally prefer ceramic since it applies a layer of siO2.

Now, if you want something with siO2 without all the work, use Car Pro Reload Sealant: It's simply a spray you can use on the car. I'm currently using Reload while I wait to ceramic my car. I've used this product for years(gives you about 1-3 month protection): https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reloa...Pro+Reload&qid=1573564893&s=automotive&sr=1-4

·
Registered
603 Posts
I personally recommend Car Pro CQuartz UK 3.0 - it last a long while and its as easy (more forgiving) to apply even in hot, humid weather.

True, you can go with a sealant, but I personally prefer ceramic since it applies a layer of siO2.

Now, if you want something with siO2 without all the work, use Car Pro Reload Sealant: It's simply a spray you can use on the car. I'm currently using Reload while I wait to ceramic my car. I've used this product for years(gives you about 1-3 month protection): https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reloa...Pro+Reload&qid=1573564893&s=automotive&sr=1-4
Welcome back!
Just for practice I bought a Mother's Clay Bar Kit and some of that Shine Pro spray and used them on my 1998 Porsche Boxster a couple weeks ago.
Dang! It worked great! Car is incredibly shiny and surprisingly it is not collecting as much dust as when I used the Meguiers Carnauba wax on it. Paint has never looked so good. I can't imagine the Shine Pro is as good as the other stuff, but for this garage kept old car, I am very satisfied.

181 - 188 of 188 Posts