Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@Mr. Cantu That's the same package I'm looking at at my local dealer but in the gray. How long were you able sit in the car and play with the stereo etc? What did you think?
I didn’t mess with the stereo much, but I did turn it up and it sounded great - not HK great like my other Subaru but no problems here. I may change my mind after I listen to it more haha.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm looking at the blue Onyx as well. Love the blue and black combo. Can't quite talk myself into green.
They are tinting the passenger window 35%; the rears about 15%-20% (Texas heat), as long as the visibility doesn’t suffer. It makes it stand out more as well...but I can’t tell by the pictures if they already did it since they come with tint from the factory.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
In addition, I’m getting the front wrapped in xpel ppf (hood, bumper, headlights, side view mirrors) soon at a local shop that I take my cars to. I’m going to paint correct and ceramic coat it myself (CQuartz UK 3.0).

We take tons of roads trips and the ppf has saved us many paint chips and the ceramic makes it’s easy to spray off debris after you get her dirty.

Can’t wait to take the outback to the beach this weekend and test out dual xmode :).

·
Registered
564 Posts
How much is the clear bra? I wanted to do the same thing. I was thinking about a $1000. I was also looking into doing the ceramic myself too but I’ve read horror stories of leaving streaks.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
77 Posts
How much is the clear bra? I wanted to do the same thing. I was thinking about a $1000
That's what I paid for my Golf TDI I had. A rock actually tore the film, and then it looked bad. Plus with all the cladding on the OB, I'm just going to take my chances. If I could drive around in a bubble, I would. Unless you put film on the entire car, scratches will happen. It stinks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I’ll take a tore up clear bra over a chipped up hood. At least you know you have a decent looking vehicle UNDER it. But like you said scratches and things are bound to happen anyway. Just a matter of time. I’m really dreading a door ding.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
77 Posts
I’ll take a tore up clear bra over a chipped up hood. At least you know you have a decent looking vehicle UNDER it. But like you said scratches and things are bound to happen anyway. Just a matter of time. I’m really dreading a door ding.
True, I see your point. The first little flaw is crushing! Can you imagine people that buy the majorly exotic sports cars?!...it would just be too anxiety producing to own one even if I had the $$$$. Then again, any tear in the clear film, and they just get it removed and start again.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
886 Posts
How much is the clear bra? I wanted to do the same thing. I was thinking about a $1000. I was also looking into doing the ceramic myself too but I’ve read horror stories of leaving streaks.
I researched and the consensus seems to be if your going to daily drive just use a sealant twice a year. If it was a garage kept car show car, ceramic coat. Clear bra if you want the protection but don't do just part of a hood or panel or you'll see and have problems with edges.

Me, I'll keep the car over 10 years. Just sealant twice a year for me.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That's what I paid for my Golf TDI I had. A rock actually tore the film, and then it looked bad. Plus with all the cladding on the OB, I'm just going to take my chances. If I could drive around in a bubble, I would. Unless you put film on the entire car, scratches will happen. It stinks.
I agree with the bubble - a rock hit our front and it tore, but it healed itself but you can see the rip...but better than getting chipped paint and potential rust spots since Subaru paint is thin and cheap.

I researched and the consensus seems to be if your going to daily drive just use a sealant twice a year. If it was a garage kept car show car, ceramic coat. Clear bra if you want the protection but don't do just part of a hood or panel or you'll see and have problems with edges.

Me, I'll keep the car over 10 years. Just sealant twice a year for me.

I usually paint correct all my vehicles (daily drivers) when then arrive and ceramic coat it that way I only need to spray down the car with a hose when it gets muddy...but usually everything slides off in the rain either way with the ceramic. The $100 vial of ceramic (CQuartz UK 3.0) lasts for a couple of coats, which is done every two years.

I’ve been detailing/polishing/coating for about 20 years (as a hobby) and by far ceramic is the way to go for easy maintenance, especially if you do it yourself...else shops will easily charge you close to $1000 for the vehicle prep, et. al.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
564 Posts
How would you prep a new car for for the ceramic coat? And you can ceramic coat the clear bra right? I like the idea of coating the rims and just rinsing off brake dust.

I was also trying to look up reviews for ceramic coats last week but didn’t know what to believe. I see the cquartz 3.0 $55 bottles. Is it the same as the $100 bottle just smaller?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
How would you prep a new car for for the ceramic coat? And you can ceramic coat the clear bra right? I like the idea of coating the rims and just rinsing off brake dust.
Your products may vary, but this is what I do:

1. Wash car with dawn soap to get rid of any wax/sealants

2. Wash car with IronX to get rid of any metal deposits (tons after transport).

3. Clay bar (I use a nano skin sponge for multiple re-uses).

4. Wash car again (car pro reset)

5. Apply Car Pro essence with an applicator pad OR orbital buffer to bring out the shine and do any minor paint correction.

6. Apply ceramic coating.

7. Apply CarPro reload

You can apply ceramic over xpel. When you get the ppf installed, they paint correct and polish wherever the ppf is being applied because it “seals it in”. I can go into further detail if needed; currently at work.

The $100 bottle is larger. Tons of YouTube videos but this will get you started:

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,631 Posts

I was also trying to look up reviews for ceramic coats last week but didn’t know what to believe. I see the cquartz 3.0 $55 bottles. Is it the same as the $100 bottle just smaller?
If you are not experienced, I would do extensive research on how to apply the ceramic coatings.

21 - 40 of 188 Posts