Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,679 Posts
yup - you can’t tell. Even if it scratches it heals itself in the sun :). The shop I go to does amazing work.
What does this xpel really do (how does it work), how long does it last, and how much is it to put on?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
What does this xpel really do (how does it work), how long does it last, and how much is it to put on?
its a paint protection film that acts like a clear bra. It also has self-healing abilities so if you get a scratch it’ll fix itself with heat....doesn’t stain and is 100% clear however they let through some UV that way the paint under the film looks the same as areas without.

more info here, which also includes a video of them scratching the car with a wire brush and it healing.

it has lifetime warranty as well...

Depending on the areas you want to cover, it can range from $600 - $2000+

Xpel info

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/NAV & Moonroof
66 Posts
flixden, I was quoted $1750 in the Chicago area to have the front fenders, front bumper, hood, front of roof (in front of the moon roof), and the cups under the door handles done. As soon as I get my Ltd XT in I'm making an appointment to take it in.
Mr Cantu, I'm wondering what you were quoted for the ceramic coating. I've seen prices in the $2k-plus range for a multi-year coating. I just couldn't justify that expense when I can "wax" it myself - just recently found Mequiare's Hybrid Ceramix Wax - really easy to apply, and even makes the plastic bits look fantastic.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
I do my own own ceramic coating. It’s pretty easy if you’ve polished/waxed your car before, but the key is to properly prep the paint (iron-x, claybar, polish/correct paint then apply ceramic).

I’m using CQuartz UK 3.0 or I may be switching to a new product called Armor Shield IX...haven't decidedif I’m switching yet, still doing research.

One reason I love CQuartz UK is that I can apply is in high heat and humidity without issues (Houston area).

Edit: typing/editing these posts on Mobile is horrid ?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
887 Posts
I recommend sealant instead of wax. Only need to do it twice a yearand much better protection than waxing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
flixden, I was quoted $1750 in the Chicago area to have the front fenders, front bumper, hood, front of roof (in front of the moon roof), and the cups under the door handles done. As soon as I get my Ltd XT in I'm making an appointment to take it in.
Mr Cantu, I'm wondering what you were quoted for the ceramic coating. I've seen prices in the $2k-plus range for a multi-year coating. I just couldn't justify that expense when I can "wax" it myself - just recently found Mequiare's Hybrid Ceramix Wax - really easy to apply, and even makes the plastic bits look fantastic.
So it would shine up the black plastic cladding?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So far all of the clues seem to point to the hitch being a 2" receiver on the 2020 Outback but I haven't seen anything definite yet.
It's a 1 1/4" receiver. However, it is a completely new hitch. The mount is sold separately. I had the OEM hitch on my 17 2.5i and the mount was included.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,856 Posts
It's a 1 1/4" receiver. However, it is a completely new hitch. The mount is sold separately. I had the OEM hitch on my 17 2.5i and the mount was included.
Interesting. You must be the only person who has identified it as a 1-1/4" receiver. So far everybody else has gotten the proper 2" one. I'm thinking you are mistaken.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
586 Posts
Definitely not a 1 1/4” receiver on the 2020s. There have been many people here (myself included) get the OEM hitch installed and post photos of the 2” hitch.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
586 Posts
Good wax/sealant. We have Subaru's not a 100k exotic show car
This is true, but if I can save myself the time/effort of waxing the car 4 times a year by doing it once and then waiting 3-4 years, I'm kinda willing to pay a bit of a premium.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,679 Posts
This is true, but if I can save myself the time/effort of waxing the car 4 times a year by doing it once and then waiting 3-4 years, I'm kinda willing to pay a bit of a premium.
Look into ceramic coating. Generally lasts 5-7 years.

161 - 180 of 188 Posts