Subaru Outback Forums banner

2020 onyx rear ended

14K views 50 replies 33 participants last post by  Mr. Cantu 
#1 ·
Well, a Jeep decided to rear end me. Medically I’m fine - got checked out just in case. I’m currently dealing with their insurance (Allstate), so far they have been great. Taking it to a certified Subaru shop after the current shop lied to me haha...if they happen to total it out I’ll just buy a new one but with the Fosgate option haha.

here is the damage:

The Subie kept me safe :)

See less See more
#5 ·
The most important thing is that the human(s) in the Outback were kept safe!!! I'm betting they will fix it based on your photo, but until they "dive in", there's no way to know for sure. If it's fixed, check into "diminished value" insurance regulations in your state to be sure you're compensated for the same if it's applicable.

#17 ·
Main thing(s):

1) Glad you're ok
2) Subie did it's part like a champ.
3) You don't seem too upset. Good it's just a car.
4) Sorry you have to sort through all this paperwork / insurance check and balances but hopefully that goes smoothly.

I hope they write it off honestly. It's never the same as new / issues pop up after repairs.
We'll see.

Till then and pending further updates from you, Thank You:) for sharing such a wonderful journey with your Subie. It's not a matter of "if" you're getting back on the Subaru horse but "when".

And who knows if it's a new horse, then it might be Red, Green or another Blue.;)(y)

#18 ·
Dang, that really sucks. Can't see if there is much damage to the right quarter panel but from what I see there I would be surprised if it even comes close to being totaled. Anything is possible though depending on if the hit was hard enough to transfer the energy elsewhere in the structure. One thing that could help push it towards being totaled would be that the salvage value would be incredibly high with the front end and airbags all intact.

But if it does get repaired there doesn't appear to be anything there that a good shop and a good tech can't do a quality repair on. A good repair and a little cash in the pocket for diminished value could turn out to be a pretty good deal if you plan to keep the car for a while.

#21 ·
Thanks all for your concerns!

The car is at an official Subaru collision repair center, the original location the car was sent to told me they were certified but LIED to me, so it was towed to the other location.

I am definitely going to get diminished value if it isn’t totaled, I checked with Texas state laws and I’m in the win.

Who knows how long I’ll be waiting since it’s thanksgiving weekend, but I will keep y’all informed if it was totaled or not.

if it IS totaled, GAP insurance will take care of it and I will simply order/buy another BLUE.

#23 ·
Way back when in 1984, my new Oldsmobile Omega got clocked pretty hard in Allentown, PA. Head on wreck when an idiot turned left in front of me.
It got fixed and was doing well for a few months, but then things fell apart. By then, I had moved to Kentucky so could do nothing about it. Sold the car a year later. Was going through transmission fluid like crazy. It was also rattling a lot and got way, way, way out of alignment.
At least your beautiful ride was hit in the back. Much better than in the front.
Anxious to hear how your situation plays out. Your car is beautiful and I have enjoyed your posts on here and your Facebook site.

#26 ·
I doubt there's enough damage there to total it, which is a shame. Check the insurance laws for TX, many times diminished value only applies if there was a trade/sale pending, or such sale/trade takes place within a certain amount of time. - I believe the guaranteed trade value which Subaru provides might make it easier to claim the diminished value. (I'm not up on TX law, only having licenses in the tri-state area, however, the states do vary on that topic).

Some states having limits on how far the body can be lifted over the axles, but unfortunately, not all or not enough. Actually surprised the Outback didn't have more damage, given he basically went right over your bumper. Glad everybody was unharmed.

#27 ·
So I'm not up on Texas law but am wondering if having a major accident on record would actually affect trade in value ? Do they actually do a carfax type query when they quote you a trade? I know it could drive private parties away but admittedly have no insight into the inner workings of dealerships.

#31 ·
Wholly mackerel, Mr C, that sucks beyond belief. What in the heck was that jeep driver doing to hit you so hard? After seeing your pic it made my indecision about getting a dash-cam a real purchase. I am glad to hear you say you are OK. I do not want to be a Debbie Downer, but neck problems can take up to a week to start manifesting after being rear ended, so whatever you do, don't sign any kind of release saying you're OK to the jeep's insurance company. Fingers crossed your neck remains as fine and dandy as it is now.

#33 ·
I just went through the trade-in after an accident on my 17 FXT. KBB, trucar, and Edmunds estimated it at 27-29k in excellent condition, which it was, aside from the minor rear-ending and minor side hit on the rear quarter. The rear-ending was below 25mph and the side hit was under 10mph. Both were repaired with OEM parts and made new. But since it was a lease, I can't file for diminished value, the Leasing co can though. But when I got the CarFax pulled, it shoed 0 accidents, but ould have damage and valued it at the retailer at 23K and another private party it valued it at 20k. That is up to a 9k loss in value for such small hits. Both were under 5k in repairs (together) and less than a week in the shop. But CarFax doesn't take the level of accident/damage into account. So I just ended up turning it over to the leasing co since my outback came in with a couple of weeks before the lease-end. At least I didn't take a loss on it.

Reactions: Bebba1
#34 ·
Equifax does vehicle history reports as well. I'm likely selling my KIA Sportage to Carvana, and they do a "background check" on the vehicle, including any accidents that involve police reports, or accident claims with insurance companies. I am also told they check dealer records, but I can't confirm it.
While I do agree that it is possible to restore a car back to almost new condition after an accident such as we are discussing, I would personally fight to get a new vehicle. Shops that do such work are very hard to find, even in larger cities such as Los Angeles. I have been through this twice, and it's a major inconvenience, time-eater, and a substantial financial loss no matter how you slice it. In my case it took months just to get parts, as my car was 2 weeks old. With a car so new, it's only reasonable to accept diminished value, or fight to get a replacement vehicle.
-My two centavos.

#36 ·
Have to think that with all the demand for the Onyx XT, that there is a heavy emphasis on sending all parts to the factory for new car production. I'm sure a listing of the parts will be prepared and analyzed for price and availability by the body shop and then insurance company. This may take a while....buckle up for an interesting ride!

#38 ·
Glad you're OK. Subaru can always make another Outback to replace this wagon... but, replacing you? Not so easy.

I'd be sick - your Onyx is a sweet looking ride. I don't know what happened, but if the driver is anything like the Jeep & Grand Cherokee drivers that infest my area, I suspect he may have been weaving, talking/texting on the cell phone, and not really paying close attention.

Good luck, hope that there's no lingering physical injuries, and hope that the car is repaired to factory spec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.