Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Pearl White
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no rubbing at all, but killed my gas mileage and ride quality, had to return to stock wheels
i drove 60 miles a day and went from 28.5 to 24

these wheels are for sale

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited - waiting on 2020 Onyx XT
770 Posts
From my 2014 outback, I have a set of winters on a separate set of 17x7 wheels. I believe 35 mm offset.

Waiting for delivery on a 2020 Onyx with 18" stock wheels. Obviously I gotta change the tire size, but will the 17x7's fit to run winters? I think yes but tryin to plan ahead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
no rubbing at all, but killed my gas mileage and ride quality, had to return to stock wheels
i drove 60 miles a day and went from 28.5 to 24

these wheels are for sale
Wow It that Possible??? 4.5 mpg lost plus ride quality?? I can't believe those wheels and tires made that huge difference.

I was thinking to replace mines with Mothod 502 plus Falken WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL 245/65/17 and this set is about 5 lbs x corner heavier than the one that mulage used. (18X8 & Continental Terrain Contact 245/60/18)

17x8 Method 502 = 25.1 lbs + Falken WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL 245/65/17 = 36 lbs total = 61.1 Lbs
18x8 Helo = 24.05 Lbs + Continental Terrain Contact 245/60/18 = 32 lbs Total= 56.05 lbs

I have a 2020 OB Premium 2.5 L. can anybody tell me the weight of the stock set wheel/tire?

and do I will be killing the car with this weight. ???

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Pearl White
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s a combination of things that throw off everything

Larger diameter tire, more rotating weight, etc...

No all terrain tire is ever gonna ride as good as all season car tire

From what i have read the OE Yokohama tire was designed for this car with subaru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s a combination of things that throw off everything

Larger diameter tire, more rotating weight, etc...

No all terrain tire is ever gonna ride as good as all season car tire

From what i have read the OE Yokohama tire was designed for this car with subaru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are in the market for the 2020 XT Limited ourselves and I’m looking at aftermarket wheels to put on it. Do you think even if I stick with the OEM tires on the new wheels, it would still cause all these issues? I’m not familiar how different wheels affect vehicles as I’ve always done stock.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
We are in the market for the 2020 XT Limited ourselves and I’m looking at aftermarket wheels to put on it. Do you think even if I stick with the OEM tires on the new wheels, it would still cause all these issues? I’m not familiar how different wheels affect vehicles as I’ve always done stock.
If the aftermarket wheels are lighter than stock, they will improve acceleration, mpg, ride, and handling, and if they are heavier, they will make all of those worse. The problem is that it's difficult to make light STRONG wheels, the lightest strongest wheels are forged and expensive. You end up trying to balance weight, strength, and price.

Combined with the tire - if you get a heavier wheel and a heavier tire (wider tires are heavier) then it compounds the problem. I've experienced it myself where even on stock wheels, going +1 in tire size turned a car that was agile into one that felt dead and sluggish compared to stock because of the heavier tires. I've also experienced the other side - getting lighter wheels and using the stock tire size gave me better performance.

If you want to google the topic, key phrases like "unsprung weight" and "rotational mass" are most relevant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the aftermarket wheels are lighter than stock, they will improve acceleration, mpg, ride, and handling, and if they are heavier, they will make all of those worse. The problem is that it's difficult to make light STRONG wheels, the lightest strongest wheels are forged and expensive. You end up trying to balance weight, strength, and price.

Combined with the tire - if you get a heavier wheel and a heavier tire (wider tires are heavier) then it compounds the problem. I've experienced it myself where even on stock wheels, going +1 in tire size turned a car that was agile into one that felt dead and sluggish compared to stock because of the heavier tires. I've also experienced the other side - getting lighter wheels and using the stock tire size gave me better performance.

If you want to google the topic, key phrases like "unsprung weight" and "rotational mass" are most relevant.
Thank you very much for the information. Looks like I’ll be doing quite a bit of research on this topic then. I plan on staying with OEM tires therefore, would you have any recommendations as to specific brand wheels to look at? I’ve looked at Sparco, Enkei, and BBS.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
54 Posts
In the next couple months I will be installing a 2 in lift by LP Adventure.I have an Onyx XT and plan on keeping the stock 18 in black rims but replacing the tires with All Terrains. Anyonve have a setup like this? I’m wanting to know how big I can go on that rim. Think I could go any bigger than 255/55/18? Would adding the Primitive wheel spacers allow me to go any bigger. Any help It is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited - waiting on 2020 Onyx XT
770 Posts
Here's a question. TPMS warning. I'm coming from a 2014 where I had spare rims that I used to run winters. The extra set of rims had it's own set of TPMS sensors, but no tire shop could re-learn the car, it was dealer only. They charged a fee, plus the hassle. I found the TPMS warning light to be pretty ignorable, a square of electrical tape did the trick! So, I just didn't both re-learning the computer twice a year and lived with the light. So in the end, I wasted some money by buying a set of sensors in the winter wheels that I never used.

I ordered a 2020 Onyx and am working this all out. Anyone have any insight to the warning? Is it just an idiot light like my 2014? Or is it flashy lights and chimes? i.e. how "ignorable" is it? And surely I hope it doesn't shut down any AWD/traction control type functionality?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I ordered a 2020 Onyx and am working this all out. Anyone have any insight to the warning? Is it just an idiot light like my 2014? Or is it flashy lights and chimes? i.e. how "ignorable" is it? And surely I hope it doesn't shut down any AWD/traction control type functionality?
I don't know the answers to your questions but this thread might help:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts