Subaru Outback Forums banner

361 - 380 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
And that's 5 lbs per tire over stock with the 235/60/18 being 9 lbs over stock. :oops: The GO15 in 225/60/18 seems to be the "lightweight" A/T choice at 29 lbs per tire.
I actually had the 235/60r18 GO15's and the hit to gas mileage was insane, Thankfully Discount Tire took them back. They were simply to much tire for the car.

I actually just found out this morning that they now make the GO15 in 225/60r18. I'm sure they would be a much better fit for an outback or than the 235's but i don't know how much. They are a legit AT tire and the more capable off-road an AT tire is the mmore rolling resistance / bigger hit to MPG you will take on road.

I'm just happy to see some decent , and light weight, AT tires being made for crossovers now. In my opinion that's all you need for the newer gen outbacks and foresters. If you need a lift the bigger tires then you simply have the wrong car.

Edit:
I didn't realize that i was posting in the Gen 6 forums. I have 2017 outback and everything i have said in this post and the previous ones is from my experience with that car and not the newer 6th gen.

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
285 Posts
I actually had the 235/60r18 GO15's and the hit to gas mileage was insane, Thankfully Discount Tire took them back. They were simply to much tire for the car.

I actually just found out this morning that they now make the GO15 in 225/60r18. I'm sure they would be a much better fit for an outback or than the 235's but i don't know how much. They are a legit AT tire and the more capable off-road an AT tire is the mmore rolling resistance / bigger hit to MPG you will take on road.

I'm just happy to see some decent , and light weight, AT tires being made for crossovers now. In my opinion that's all you need for the newer gen outbacks and foresters. If you need a lift the bigger tires then you simply have the wrong car.
When I do the Tire Rack Decision Guide it either recommends the GO15 or the Firestone Destination LE3, depending how much I emphasize off road. The LE3 is 25 lbs in 225 and 26 lbs in 235. My off roading is mainly forest roads and beaches and typically very little rocks.

I've been off roading Subaru's since I had a '97 Outback Sport, and have run OEM All Seasons, Michelin PS A/S's, a light truck summer tire, and most recently BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2 summer tires. A/T tires just look so cool, especially when you go bigger. The coolness does come at a price though as you mention.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Outdoor XT
16 Posts
Sprung weight and un sprung weight are two completely different things. I don't know what the exact number / calculations would be but a 1lbs increase to each tire would have a noticeable effect on MPG whereas a loaded outback with 5 adults would have essentially none.

If you do not need AT tires do not put them on an outback. Doing so is actually making your car less capable off-road in many situations, specifically hills / inclines. Those guys with the two-inch lifts and 36lbs BFG TA KO2's... go ask them to climb an incline and laugh as you have to tow them up it. The issue with the newer Outbacks and foresters is with the CVT which already struggles under its own weight. Adding more un sprung weight just compounds the problem and ensures you will be buying a new $10,000 CVT.

Side note: I lost about 3mpg daily driving with the WP / AT trail tires. Highway / over 80 mph, i am under 20mpg. I have the 4 cylinder so if you have the six the hit to mpg wont be as much but it will still be a significant amount.
I have heard that 1lbs unsprung rotating weight (wheel,brakes,tires etc) = 3-4lbs sprung weight (eg cargo) in its effect on performance. I dont think +1lbs per corner is worse than 5 x 200lbs adults in the car. There will be some effect though. Acceleration, braking, ride quality, and stress on suspension components will also worsen with more unsprung weight. MPG will also be worse with a larger contact patch independent of weight as well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
And that's 5 lbs per tire over stock with the 235/60/18 being 9 lbs over stock. :oops: The GO15 in 225/60/18 seems to be the "lightweight" A/T choice at 29 lbs per tire.
An often overlooked choice in 225/65-17 also at 29 pounds is the Pirelli Scorpion AT+. Me, I have the Falkens and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
285 Posts
An often overlooked choice in 225/65-17 also at 29 pounds is the Pirelli Scorpion AT+. Me, I have the Falkens and couldn't be happier.
Yeah, those get great reviews but I'm planning to stick with the OEM wheels on my Onyx. I actually emailed Pirelli some time ago asking if they planned to offer a 225/60/18 and they said no. The definitely should have come with 17's.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,622 Posts
The lightest ATs I know of are right around 30#, about 4# heavier than stock. I’ll probably try Toyo AT3s and if the hit is bad exercise their return policy and try something lighter. The Destination posted above is one I hadn’t considered but will look into now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The lightest ATs I know of are right around 30#, about 4# heavier than stock. I’ll probably try Toyo AT3s and if the hit is bad exercise their return policy and try something lighter. The Destination posted above is one I hadn’t considered but will look into now.
The LE3 is a basically a light truck all season and doesn't have the 3PMSF symbol. Although there are standard all seasons the do better than "All Weather" tires in Tire Rack tests. I think they're supposed to do a snow test on it soon.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When I do the Tire Rack Decision Guide it either recommends the GO15 or the Firestone Destination LE3, depending how much I emphasize off road. The LE3 is 25 lbs in 225 and 26 lbs in 235. My off roading is mainly forest roads and beaches and typically very little rocks.

I've been off roading Subaru's since I had a '97 Outback Sport, and have run OEM All Seasons, Michelin PS A/S's, a light truck summer tire, and most recently BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2 summer tires. A/T tires just look so cool, especially when you go bigger. The coolness does come at a price though as you mention.
You make an excellent point. Before getting my Outback I ran generations of Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees- most of the time with Michelin Latitude Tour rubber- and never got into trouble once during some pretty dramatic off road adventures.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Before getting my Outback I ran generations of Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees- most of the time with Michelin Latitude Tour rubber- and never got into trouble once during some pretty dramatic off road adventures.
Had no idea you're such a daredevil! Would love to see some pics. I think about the crazy stunt this one Gen6 owner did with the stock tires.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT Crystal White
24 Posts
I realize that there has been some discussion on what will work for offset, but I wanted to know if anyone had pics of a 18X8 et 35 showing poke. Corbet took some very good shots of the wheels, but not of how much poke it has.
Thinking of AV20 for my new Outback, but the only option is 18x8 et35

Thanks!
What Im looking at

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premium
12 Posts
I realize that there has been some discussion on what will work for offset, but I wanted to know if anyone had pics of a 18X8 et 35 showing poke. Corbet took some very good shots of the wheels, but not of how much poke it has.
Thinking of AV20 for my new Outback, but the only option is 18x8 et35

Thanks!
What Im looking at
View attachment 501525
Where did you get that nice preview/rendering?! Much more clear than the site I was looking at.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where did you get that nice preview/rendering?! Much more clear than the site I was looking at.
I made it from a pics I found on the web and Gimp. Getting a clear shot of the wheel can be difficult, but other than that it only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A few other pics of wheels for those who want to get an idea. Sorry no actual fitment info as these are just photo shopped images. But these are all available in a 18x8 or 18x8.5 in an appropriate offset. TMK the heaviest wheel is the Terra at 25 Lbs. Most are in the 19 - 22 range.
Sparco Terra - Bronze

__
Enkei TS7 - Copper

____
Enkei TSR6 - Bronze

____
Enkei TSV - Bronze

____
Enkei TFR - Bronze

____
Method MR505 - Gold

____
Konig Runlite - Gold

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
At least the sparco terra is slightly lighter than the stock wheels so if you're going for aesthetics it's a beautiful wheel and strong and everything.

Is there a reason you didn't include the Method 503 in gold? Ultra light and strong.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
493 Posts
Hmmm. Black/white car with copper coloured wheels? Not for me. Graphite or gun metal, OK.
But if we all liked the same things, how boring would this life be.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premium
12 Posts
I made it from a pics I found on the web and Gimp. Getting a clear shot of the wheel can be difficult, but other than that it only takes a few minutes.
Thanks! I thought it looked more clear than what I had been able to make on the Discount Tire and Tire Rack websites. Nice work!

361 - 380 of 430 Posts