Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 677 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,666 Posts
I think this is exactly right. The whole point of rotating tires is to keep tread wear even across all four tires. If you rotate your tires at every 6k, and you have tires with a 60k expected tread life, that would mean that you have used approximately 10% of your usable tread between rotations. Probably about 20% for the OEM tires. Throwing the spare into the rotation means you would never have even tread wear across your four tires, which is the exact opposite of the whole concept. Keep your spare, either donut or full size, as a spare!
Yeah, you are probably right, because of the AWD.
If you'd want to bring the spare into the rotation, you'd have to do rotations much more often, and then it probably would not be worth the 20% or so overall savings.
In a Subaru, I would just keep the spare as the spare.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will be looking to get wheels for winter tires for my (not yet delivered) 2020 Outback Limited XT.
Most of the tire/wheel vendor web sites I have checked do not have any wheels that they describe as fitting this car.
Even the Subaru parts web site does not show wheels for this car.
Is this a normal delay for a new model? How long might it take before this issue is resolved?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Anyone ever consider replacing the full size temp spare with one of the originals when replacing all the originals?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
882 Posts
If you mean replacing the full size spare when I switch to a different tire...yes. Just because it will probably be a trail when I need it so want an all-terrain spare in there.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just remember, the spare can not be used on a front wheel. If a front wheel is the problem (flat), your donut or full sized spare must go on the rear and that rear tire replace the front to prevent damage to the AWD system.
I did not know this...can you kindly please explain why?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Since more people are starting to receive their cars and winter is approaching, I thought I would begin the tire thread for Gen6 for the inevitable wheel/tire discussions.

Stock tire size for Gen6 OB: 225/60R18

Note for Onyx XT owners and owners who have added a full size spare to their car:
Make sure you include the full size spare in the rotation so as to keep tire wear even across all wheels. If not, the spare will have a larger diameter compared to the other four wheels and this is bad for the drive train.

Useful links:

Tire size calculators to compare dimension and odometer differences between tire sizes:
We replaced the limited tires with Yokohama avid ascend GT a much better tire

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did not know this...can you kindly please explain why?
this is in the manual of Subaru’s for quite a few years

The temporary spare tire must be used
only on a rear wheel. If a front wheel tire
gets punctured, replace the wheel with a
rear wheel and install the temporary spare
tire in place of the removed rear wheel.

·
Registered
594 Posts
this is in the manual of Subaru’s for quite a few years

The temporary spare tire must be used
only on a rear wheel. If a front wheel tire
gets punctured, replace the wheel with a
rear wheel and install the temporary spare
tire in place of the removed rear wheel.
Hey Captain Mike or others....can you explain why? Also, what kind of wheeling and dealing did you do on your tire? Sell immediately? Why is the Ascend a better tire? Traction, noise, life?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find this interesting. I have been swapping out summer/winter tires since 1970, on probably 20 or more different rigs. I have never once rotated in a spare, nor have I ever rotated tires systematically. I run only 'em about 2500-3000 miles before I switch for the season, and rarely drive over 60 mph. Tires get taken off and rolled into a "place" of some kind, then rolled out and reinstalled in several months; randomly. What is the big fuss about rotating systematically? Do people generally drive 10K miles before rotating, which gives a "set" to the tires that needs to be negated by rotating them? It's just an odd phenomenon to me.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Pearl White
107 Posts
Can We start a Thread to post all aftermarket wheels & Tires for 2020 OB's?

I will start, Helo wheels 18X8 with 40mm offset & Continental Terrain Contact 245 60 18's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Pearl White
107 Posts
no rubbing at all, but killed my gas mileage and ride quality, had to return to stock wheels
i drove 60 miles a day and went from 28.5 to 24

these wheels are for sale

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
1,023 Posts
From my 2014 outback, I have a set of winters on a separate set of 17x7 wheels. I believe 35 mm offset.

Waiting for delivery on a 2020 Onyx with 18" stock wheels. Obviously I gotta change the tire size, but will the 17x7's fit to run winters? I think yes but tryin to plan ahead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
no rubbing at all, but killed my gas mileage and ride quality, had to return to stock wheels
i drove 60 miles a day and went from 28.5 to 24

these wheels are for sale
Wow It that Possible??? 4.5 mpg lost plus ride quality?? I can't believe those wheels and tires made that huge difference.

I was thinking to replace mines with Mothod 502 plus Falken WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL 245/65/17 and this set is about 5 lbs x corner heavier than the one that mulage used. (18X8 & Continental Terrain Contact 245/60/18)

17x8 Method 502 = 25.1 lbs + Falken WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL 245/65/17 = 36 lbs total = 61.1 Lbs
18x8 Helo = 24.05 Lbs + Continental Terrain Contact 245/60/18 = 32 lbs Total= 56.05 lbs

I have a 2020 OB Premium 2.5 L. can anybody tell me the weight of the stock set wheel/tire?

and do I will be killing the car with this weight. ???

21 - 40 of 677 Posts