Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
701 - 720 of 827 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,656 Posts
That extra ~3lb per wheel makes a big difference? I had no idea. Bummer if so.
3lb isn't that significant but when you're combining it with a tire heavier than the stock 26 pound tire it just adds up. A 31 pound tire is 5 pounds heavier and with the heavier wheel it's 8 pounds and in the 2.5 you will probably notice less power, in the turbo not so much, but suspension wise it might not be as fluid as before.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT
116 Posts
3lb isn't that significant but when you're combining it with a tire heavier than the stock 26 pound tire it just adds up. A 31 pound tire is 5 pounds heavier and with the heavier wheel it's 8 pounds and in the 2.5 you will probably notice less power, in the turbo not so much, but suspension wise it might not be as fluid as before.

That guy’s got intensity.

So 3lb is a lot. The MR501 is tough to beat already. At 27ish pounds it’s the likely winner for my tastes.

Maybe between now and when I’m ready to buy someone will have jumped on the sandstorms and can offer an opinion on how it performs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
40 or 45 will work and look great, but IMHO I would go with the 45 offset to keep the scrub radius as close to stock as you can, but that's me. For visual reference, if you go with a 40 yours will stick out 5mm more than mine.
View attachment 514958
View attachment 514959
View attachment 514960
Great photos! Your setup is exactly what I’m looking for …. fill out the wheel wells, but not to aggressive. Scrub radius is a great point. 👍😎
What colour is your car BTW? At first I thought it was green …… but now more grey to me ….. I have some problems with my green & blues🤪! Looks great with the bronze wheels !

·
Registered
311 Posts
That guy’s got intensity.

So 3lb is a lot. The MR501 is tough to beat already. At 27ish pounds it’s the likely winner for my tastes.

Maybe between now and when I’m ready to buy someone will have jumped on the sandstorms and can offer an opinion on how it performs.
As most of you know, I have the 17" MR 501s and am very happy with them. The actual weights (direct from the manufacturer): 501 23.8, 502 24.3, 503 an astonishing 16.5! I agree with Silver O's thoughts on the 503- light , strong, flow formed - and now available in cool Subaru Rally Gold, the perfect choice if your car is blue.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
107 Posts
Great photos! Your setup is exactly what I’m looking for …. fill out the wheel wells, but not to aggressive. Scrub radius is a great point. 👍😎
What colour is your car BTW? At first I thought it was green …… but now more grey to me ….. I have some problems with my green & blues🤪! Looks great with the bronze wheels !
Thanks. It's gray.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question, I am looking to purchase some LP Adventure 1's for my new 2021 OB Premium – not ready to buy new tires yet so hoping to use my stock Yokohamas sized 225/65 R17. A 7.5" wide wheel should fit those wheels fine, but will I have any rubbing/clearance issues with a 35mm offset? Also, can I transfer my stock TPMS or will I need to purchase new ones?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Posted this in the 5th Gen forum. I bought my Wilderness with these wheels already on the vehicle. I have two problems. One they rub a little at full lock especially turning left. And they didn't include the same size spare. I will be contacting them tomorrow and wanted to know if there was a fender liner mod or something to help them fit. I love the look they provide, but I don't want them to rub. The tires are 255/55/18. I don't know the offset, but I think the wheel is 18x8.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Car Vehicle registration plate Sky Wheel Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
235 Posts
So I received an email form the GM of the dealership and they said they can replace my current wheels with 17" wheels and stock tire size 225/65/17. They said that way I could use the stock wheel if needed. So I guess technically with the 17" version with same offset and a stock tire size then it should eliminate the rubbing right??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yup, thanks...what I ultimately did.

On the other hand, I doubt I'll be getting rid of these bad boys any time soon. Thanks for being a great resource all!

Tires: Toyo Open Country AT3
Size: 225 /60r18
Price: $214 per tire
Weight: 32 pounds (OEM: 26)
Diameter: 28.6" (OEM: 28.7)

View attachment 498315 View attachment 498316 View attachment 498317 View attachment 498318
How's the gas mileage now that you have these Toyo Open Country tires?? I'm considering getting them for my '21 touring XT.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,656 Posts
So I received an email form the GM of the dealership and they said they can replace my current wheels with 17" wheels and stock tire size 225/65/17. They said that way I could use the stock wheel if needed. So I guess technically with the 17" version with same offset and a stock tire size then it should eliminate the rubbing right??
Right, but a 235/65-17 will also fit in the spare tire compartment so if you want bigger that's an option.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
235 Posts
Right, but a 235/65-17 will also fit in the spare tire compartment so if you want bigger that's an option.
Went to dealership and they cleared the fenders and then they tried to fit the 255/55/18 wheel/tire in the spare tire well. Not even close. So now I have to figure out what I want to do. I would prefer to stick with LP7 wheels. So I'm wondering if I should go with the LP7's and stock tire size which is the most expensive for them. Or make them give some stock wheels and some cash since I paid for these wheels. Also not sure if I should stick with the Falken Trails or maybe the AT/3's or KO2's. I'm pretty happy with the noise level with the Trails. They have never seen rain so I don't know how they perform there. AT3's were very good on my 4R.

I could also stay with current wheels and go with a rear tire carrier which seems like a hassle. Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,656 Posts
In certain sizes the AT/3 is lighter than the Trails, so I'd get the lighter one for a given size and skip the KO2 option. Nobody has reported any problems with the Trails being not durable enough, even in the stock 225 SL 4-ply rated version, but the 235 is XL 6-ply rated.

If you want big tires just for the cosmetics of it, and you like the look of a rear tire carrier, then it's up to you. It will give you a lot more storage space under the cargo floor if you need it. Some people have put things like giant bladders for potable water in there, but now you're putting a lot of weight in the rear and I don't know if you'd need a stiffer rear spring to maintain ground clearance.

It's worth reading this article if you haven't already - with the turbo the power loss isn't going to be too big of an issue but choices do have consequences: How to Modify Your Subaru for Off-Roading

That's just one person's considered viewpoint and one size doesn't fit all, so do whatever makes you happy.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
235 Posts
In certain sizes the AT/3 is lighter than the Trails, so I'd get the lighter one for a given size and skip the KO2 option. Nobody has reported any problems with the Trails being not durable enough, even in the stock 225 SL 4-ply rated version, but the 235 is XL 6-ply rated.

If you want big tires just for the cosmetics of it, and you like the look of a rear tire carrier, then it's up to you. It will give you a lot more storage space under the cargo floor if you need it. Some people have put things like giant bladders for potable water in there, but now you're putting a lot of weight in the rear and I don't know if you'd need a stiffer rear spring to maintain ground clearance.

It's worth reading this article if you haven't already - with the turbo the power loss isn't going to be too big of an issue but choices do have consequences: How to Modify Your Subaru for Off-Roading

That's just one person's considered viewpoint and one size doesn't fit all, so do whatever makes you happy.
I really liked my AT3's on my 4 Runner. Having the extra storage space would be nice, but having a rear tire carrier doesn't really interest me at all. I think the most important things to me are having a same size spare and having it inside protected from the elements. The question is will a 17x8 LP7 with 225/65/17 tires fit into the spare tire well?

Comparing my current Trails at 38lbs to the AT3 at 34lbs. at least I would save a little weight which is also important.

701 - 720 of 827 Posts