Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my new Outback for about a month. The radio reception, particularly on the AM radio, is pretty bad. Except for the strongest local stations, the sound is fuzzy and muddy. It sort of sounds like what would happen in the "old" days if you tried to use a radio without an antenna being hooked up. Has anyone else had this issue. Has anyone heard of the issue> Thanks very much.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Have had my new Outback for about a month. The radio reception, particularly on the AM radio, is pretty bad. Except for the strongest local stations, the sound is fuzzy and muddy. It sort of sounds like what would happen in the "old" days if you tried to use a radio without an antenna being hooked up. Has anyone else had this issue. Has anyone heard of the issue> Thanks very much.
In my 50+ years of driving, that has always been the case with AM radio.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
816 Posts
Radios with HD Radio have very tight IF filtering in the AM receiver. That reduces the high frequency response and makes it sound even muddier than AM with an analog IF section. It's dictated by the licensor of HD Radio, so Subaru can't improve it, even if they wanted to.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,312 Posts
Oh, for the day when we'll all have hum and static free Internet radio in mobile applications.
I have 3 Internet-capable network receivers (as I'm sure many do) that provides hum and static free radio worldwide. Even a somewhat local old time radio station that has a broadcast radius of 1/4 mile.

46888 Stations Available
10792 Podcasts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,777 Posts
I haven't tried them myself by iheartradio and tunein radio are supposed to work with Android Auto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts