Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the rumored turbo engines that will be in the NextGen Outback will require premium gas? I am seeing this for many manufacturers, like Volvo.

In my area, North Carolina, premium gas costs about $.50 more per gallon. This is an absolute showstopper for me! I post this because I hope that Subaru reads these boards and understands that value conscious Subaru buyers will not buy a car that requires premium gas.

I buy a new Subaru every time the Outback model changes, and I’m excited about the 2020 Outback, but a premium gas requirement would end this trend for me.

Interested to know what others have heard and think, and if they feel the same.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
the FB24 turbo going into the Ascent is listed right on its spec sheet, as running on regular gas. ....not premium. (edit: FA24 T)

so although it may benefit from aftermarket tuning for premium. in its basic factory form it is made to run on regular.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Interested to know what others have heard and think, and if they feel the same.
If you dig deep enough in what literature is available the claim is it will run on regular.

I would hope it comes programmed to recognize and take advantage of premium gas.

Not a show stopper to me. Already have other cars running premium, what's one more.

Reactions: johnnychan

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
Is it FB24 or FA24? My understanding is that it is called FA24.
whoops it is a FA24 turbo.

here is the spec sheet I found in December on a japan subaru corp site, for the US/Canada spec 2019 Ascent
(no listing of availability outside of the US/Canada yet):

87 US AKI octane confirmed on the subaru of japan site (sorry its going open a PDF,...lots of stuff in the flyer though).

maybe it will automatically reflash for more hp/torque if you put higher octane in.

https://www.subaru.co.jp/press/file/...17_1129_02.pdf

73 liters ~ 19.28 gallons for the fuel tank capacity. (subaru did not give a conversion in the data below)

quoted text centered:

< Major Specifications of Ascent (US specs.) >
Body size (Overall length / width / height) 4,998 x 1,930 x 1,819*1 mm (196.8 x 76.0 x 71.6*1 in.) Wheelbase 2,890 mm (113.8 in.)
Minimum ground clearance 220 mm (8.7 in.)

Engine
2.4-liter Horizontally-Opposed four cylinder, DOHC, Direct injection turbo FA24 engine
Displacement 2,387cc Bore and stroke 94 x 86 mm Maximum output 260hp / 5,600rpm Maximum torque 277lb.-ft. / 2,000 - 4,800rpm
Fuel tank capacity 73 liter (~19.3 US gallons)
Fuel type 87 AKI
Transmission High-torque Lineartronic*2 Drivetrain Symmetrical AWD Tire size 245/60 R18, 245/50 R20 Seating capacity 7 / 8

*1: Without roof rail: 1,766 mm (69.5 in.)
*2: Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with fully automatic electronic control​

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
Keep in mind that you can run 87 Octane in the 2.0 Turbo Forester right now without harming the engine.

For maximum performance it is recommended that you run 93 Octane.

In other words, you WILL see a decrease in performance if you run regular unleaded. So keep that in mind with all the discussion regarding the new Ascent and what fuel you're going to put in it. The WRX & STI minimum fuel requirement is 91 Octane, recommended is 93. The BRZ isn't even a turbo and the recommended fuel is 93 Octane.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
If we're lucky we'll get that engine, otherwise Outback might be down to a single 2.5 H4.
Mazda's 2.5L turbo in CX-9 has 227HP on regular and 250HP on premium, but with the catch that max torque numbers are the same. That's something I could live with.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
Volvo’s need premium because higher spec engines are both super and turbocharged. Which I think is silly, if I’m paying $70k for a luxury car I don’t want a 4cyl engine.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,730 Posts
I don't see them only having one engine option available for Outback after the refresh. While I'd love for them to retain the 3.6 going forward into the new design so a person can have both global platform redesign, and the power and refinement of the EZ36, I wouldn't be surprised for it to be changed to a Turbo. I don't think they'd go the route of the FA20 like the one they have in the Foz XT, since they would have done that already, but the FA24 seems like a natural trickle-down from the Ascent.

That being said, I do have some reservations regarding the direct injection.

The tuning could be different, I guess. It's possible they could make it so it had optimal performance on 91(93). But why would you go through such lengths?

Historically speaking, the EZ30 had a premium fuel requirement, I believe. When they developed the EZ36, they tuned it for 87.

I think the buyers you are talking about that want something bigger than the base engine will purchase the bigger engine regardless of fuel cost. There's an aspect of "I want that power" associated with it - smiles per gallon. All comes out in the wash anyway. The EZ36D needs more oil and spark plugs, if you want to truly nickel-and-dime it; about the same fuel economy (maybe SLIGHTLY higher) than the FA20 in the Foz XT.

While I would absolutely get the FA24DIT in a 2020 Outback, I would prefer the tried-and-true EZ36D, but I can't buy what doesn't exist. There are no used car factories. :)

It's a question of what you want - what's more important to you? The global platform, or the 3.6 engine? That's the one pointing at me presently.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
That being said, I do have some reservations regarding the direct injection.
Funny enough, I was talking to one of the girls at the Subaru booth at the CLE Auto Show about the new FA24 and pondered if they had fixed the carbon problem with the FA-series. She was taken aback that there was a carbon problem with the FA engines, to which I mentioned the WRX needs intake valve cleaning every 30k due the direct injection... she looked at me as though I had 3 heads... (To be fair, I wasn't expecting her to know, it's not a diesel-gate-esque problem)

Anyways, I agree. If Subaru isn't going to use Toyota's port injection-supplement system (from the BRZ/FRS, WHICH IS ALREADY AN FA-SERIES ENGINE), then they will continue to have the carbon problem.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
Funny enough, I was talking to one of the girls at the Subaru booth at the CLE Auto Show about the new FA24 and pondered if they had fixed the carbon problem with the FA-series. She was taken aback that there was a carbon problem with the FA engines, to which I mentioned the WRX needs intake valve cleaning every 30k due the direct injection... she looked at me as though I had 3 heads... (To be fair, I wasn't expecting her to know, it's not a diesel-gate-esque problem)

Anyways, I agree. If Subaru isn't going to use Toyota's port injection-supplement system (from the BRZ/FRS, WHICH IS ALREADY AN FA-SERIES ENGINE), then they will continue to have the carbon problem.
Looks like whatever agreement Subaru had with Toyota, it was only applicable to 86/BRZ engine.

with 3.6R sales being 5-10% of total sales, I wonder if Subaru will simply decide to not try to cater to these buyers anymore, and essentially give them up to the competition. It is almost like auto vs manual transmission - eventually Subaru and others stopped providing manual option.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
Not really sure what the long term outlook on a turbo engine using low octane fuel: My 2 cents is the pistons and exhaust valves will need redone every 75k with low octance, that is my prediction.. looks like one way to keep people trading up when the engine fails, kinda like a XT

·
Registered
28 Posts
Excited to see what comes of this... I wish our 18 had a turbo option. Personally not a fan of the 3.6. I plan on getting another OB in a couple years for me too.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts

The wrx has a DIT? Wow that’s news. The only DIT Subaru had was the brz. And the carbon problem was fixed by all the Dit automakers by switching to the standard cycle at a specific range where temps and burn cycle caused carbon build up, plus cycling to the standard cycle essentially washes the valves. So no all the dit engines today are using a different cycle and fuel mapping that eliminates the old early carbon problem. And no the WRX is not a DIT and no they don’t need to be torn down every 30k to basically get new valves.

The stuff people post on the interweb is nuts... Talk about fake news. LOL

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The biggest possible gain with the low boost 2.4 DIT is weight reduction and power and torque increases. All things you can’t complain about. Weight gain and power gain is a loosing battle. Power gain and weight loss is a win win.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Subaru has already demonstrated that they are willing to invest capital into engineering to develop engines for 87-octane fuel. Just look at the evolution of the 3.0L engine into the 3.6L. The whole point was to hit the same performance numbers with plain old pump gas.

The new Forester XT engine is more of the same- it can run just fine on 87 where the previous 2-3 generations of Subaru turbo powerplants simply demanded premium.

So I think they know about you, they heard you, and they're willing to work for your money.

They aren't alone- there are numerous Fords, Hyundais and now Hondas (among others) which include turbocharging and still only need 87. Subaru knows they need to compete with those cars.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
The wrx has a DIT? Wow that’s news. The only DIT Subaru had was the brz. And the carbon problem was fixed by all the Dit automakers by switching to the standard cycle at a specific range where temps and burn cycle caused carbon build up, plus cycling to the standard cycle essentially washes the valves. So no all the dit engines today are using a different cycle and fuel mapping that eliminates the old early carbon problem. And no the WRX is not a DIT and no they don’t need to be torn down every 30k to basically get new valves.

The stuff people post on the interweb is nuts... Talk about fake news. LOL
The WRX doesn’t have a DIT engine? Ok.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i MT
14 Posts
No, not fake news. I was considering a WRX just this weekend and decided dealing with DI (and premium fuel/insurance) made it too unattractive. There's a several videos out on youtube with people trying to avoid walnut blasting their WRX's valves using engine cleaner (Seafoam and the like) in the intake while the motor is running.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts